Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 05:29 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times

Advertisements

Here in Pittsburgh this kind of remodeling is not only a tradition, but public policy.

Peabody High School in East Liberty used to look like this:

now, only the Ionic columns would indicate that it is the same building
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 05:45 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
I like it when people install their new windows sideways, so they look short and wide instead of tall and narrow. I think it looks kind of cool, in a weird way.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:04 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
It's mainly the decision of putting siding over brick that makes me scratch my head. Let's see, I'm going to spend money to make my house look uglier & cheap. It's rampant through the city neighborhoods.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:14 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Here in Pittsburgh this kind of remodeling is not only a tradition, but public policy.

Peabody High School in East Liberty used to look like this:

now, only the Ionic columns would indicate that it is the same building
Huh, and here I thought it was BUILT as an ugly brick almost windowless building with a couple weird columns thrown in. Those were aesthetics of the the times, though, and not just in Pittsburgh.

That Shadyside house always amused me when passing by. There are many others that have poorly thought-out additions, though there are plenty if houses that are beautiful too.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:50 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
It's mainly the decision of putting siding over brick that makes me scratch my head. Let's see, I'm going to spend money to make my house look uglier & cheap. It's rampant through the city neighborhoods.
Not like anyone does that now though right? I mean this happened decades ago. Who knows what they were smoking then.... (My guess is that in certain times 50-odd years ago siding made the house look "modern", plus Alcoa probably had a big push for it, etc.)

Old 06-17-2012, 08:18 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
I've heard stories of salesman roaming the neighborhoods selling siding, with the pitch being it was modernizing, and neighbors effectively competing with each other to do the "nicest" job.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:28 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Not like anyone does that now though right? I mean this happened decades ago. Who knows what they were smoking then.... (My guess is that in certain times 50-odd years ago siding made the house look "modern", plus Alcoa probably had a big push for it, etc.)
I hope no one is doing this currently at least. It's just frustrating walking around some of the neighborhoods seeing rows of homes that look run down or cheap whereas if the siding was ripped off all of them & the brick cleaned up you'd have an instant upgrade across the board & a very nice historic look to things. No clue how much or how involved siding removal would run someone.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:16 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times
It's not just the exteriors that were ruined over the years.

Here's a little sample from the Craftsman style rowhouse I recently bought. They removed just about all of the original character, painted over what little was left.

Here is the fireplace that was added in the 60's or 70's. (Don't you just love the carpet.)

This is what would have been there originally.

This is what I replaced it with to try and put some craftsman style character back into the place. I tore the carpet out, put in a hardwood floor, and dug out the electrical boxes for sconces that were there originally.

Last edited by stburr91; 06-17-2012 at 10:28 AM..

Old 06-17-2012, 10:43 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
I live in SF and everything Tallysmom says is spot on. Although it was worse in the 60s when I was growing up. In those days very few people appreciated older homes. At least now there are many of us who appreciate and respect the character of the era the home was built.

I work for a remodeling company and we just completed a teardown of an Eichler (mid-century homes built in Northern California) in San Mateo. Had the house been in Palo Alto, it would have been protected because they've created a historic district that only allows accurate restoration. Part of me bristles at these kind of restrictions, but as a lover of architecture and historic homes. I see the need.
You tore down an Eichler? My dream home? I'm actually sick to my stomach and I have tears in my eyes and I am NOT kidding. You're probably building a "Tuscan Kitchen" for some moron who doesn't cook and who thinks having a faucet for filling pasta pots at the stove top is the height of "sofistication". Emphasis on fist.

I would have laid in front of the bulldozer.

But even out here in San Francisco, people will buy a good piece of land with a house they don't want and is protected and then let it rot, go to the planning commission and say it's too far gone to rehab, and get a teardown permit.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:52 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
In re siding, ever hear of the movie Tin Men?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh