Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 07:05 AM

92 posts, read 92,492 times

Advertisements

I saw a show on the travel channel about various place that you could "pig out". One of the places was in Pittsburgh - I can't recall the name now it was a family name starting with a P and sounded similar to Panini?

You got fries and slaw ON your sandwich.

Philly has the cheese steak and hoagie, roastbeef is big up here in Boston - what Pittsburgh specialties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 07:24 AM

149 posts, read 608,387 times
Ah... That would be Primanti Brothers! Here's their website:

Primanti Brothers Restaurant - Pittsburgh's Most Famous Sandwiches

Yummy!

Old 09-26-2007, 07:51 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
I confess to not being a fan of Primanti's. But I'm not from here.

I've only been to the flagship store in the strip once, and we didn't even eat anything because we couldn't figure out what was going on. It was loud and crowded and we weren't sure if we were in line for something or waiting for a table and no employee acknowledged us, so we left.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:54 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've only been to the flagship store in the strip once, and we didn't even eat anything because we couldn't figure out what was going on. It was loud and crowded and we weren't sure if we were in line for something or waiting for a table and no employee acknowledged us, so we left.
That's the attraction of Primanti's in the Strip. It's like going to see the Soup Nazi on Steinfeld.

I'm not a fan of the food either, but anything tastes good at 3:00am in the morning!

Most people go for the experience more than anything.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:28 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,069,661 times
Quote:
That's the attraction of Primanti's in the Strip. It's like going to see the Soup Nazi on Steinfeld.

I'm not a fan of the food either, but anything tastes good at 3:00am in the morning!

Most people go for the experience more than anything.
Right on! Personally, I really like their food. It's unique and greasy!!

Old 09-26-2007, 10:33 AM

487 posts, read 1,380,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Is it true that if you ask for your fries and slaw on the side, they say NO?

Old 09-26-2007, 10:41 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,069,661 times
Quote:
Is it true that if you ask for your fries and slaw on the side, they say NO?
I've heard people say this can be true, but I've never experienced it. When I was younger, I used to always get the cole slaw on the side without problem. Nowadays, I like the works! I've always liked french fries on sandwiches, that's becoming quite popular all over the country, but it was made famous by Pittsburgh.

Did you see the article I put up about Primanti Bros. in "Happenings in Pittsburgh" a few days ago? It's a great article! It even talks about the history of how it happened. The sandwich was developed with the "sides" (cole slaw and fries) ON the sandwich so the workers still had a free hand. :P

Old 09-26-2007, 10:57 AM

487 posts, read 1,380,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
I've heard people say this can be true, but I've never experienced it. When I was younger, I used to always get the cole slaw on the side without problem. Nowadays, I like the works! I've always liked french fries on sandwiches, that's becoming quite popular all over the country, but it was made famous by Pittsburgh.

Did you see the article I put up about Primanti Bros. in "Happenings in Pittsburgh" a few days ago? It's a great article! It even talks about the history of how it happened. The sandwich was developed with the "sides" (cole slaw and fries) ON the sandwich so the workers still had a free hand. :P
If you have 5 spare minutes, this is pretty entertaining:

YouTube - Pittsburgh Food Favorites - Benkovitz, Primanti, Mineo Pizza

Old 09-26-2007, 12:07 PM

394 posts, read 1,430,668 times
Primanti's is awesome, but so are Peppi's and Uncle Sams for sandwiches.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:35 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post

I would be in real trouble there... I have a small mouth. But incredible lung power...

No really -- my mouth is so small that when I got braces, I had two baby teeth pulled with no adult teeth underneath, and two teeth from the bottom pulled. And when the wisdom teeth started in, they had to come out -- no room.

The average mouth has 32 teeth.... I have only 24.

It's apparently a birth defect of sorts.... My nephew's tongue seemed too big for his mouth, when in reality his mouth was too small -- they spread his palate. My niece to my other sister has braces with teeth coming in sideways because her mouth is too small, and they are anchoring these teeth to pull them down straight -- she also has a couple of baby teeth with no teeth underneath so those are the ones that are going to make room for the adult teeth.

What got me is that both sisters, since they are 7 and 8 years older than me, weren't involved when I had braces and were going through this, so when I expressed no surprise about their kids mouth drama, they were shocked when I told them about mine.

Anyhow -- There is NO way I could eat a sandwich on a hard roll with all that stuff on it... I couldn't get it into my mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh