Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 01:22 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,686,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalburgh View Post
Let's be honest, I doubt you know anything about his motivation.
2 years rent free + free money from "grants + promotion in the Post Gazette for his other restaurants might be a decent motivator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 01:28 PM

18,717 posts, read 30,964,234 times
Very happy to hear places like this are being drawn to Braddock.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:35 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,963,077 times
Quote:
Potentially, it's an anchor. The restaurant can attract other business and investment. Locals could work there. Read the article, there is a strong local angle. That is, if you consider those residents as "real" locals.

I look at it as either the restaurant is there or it isn't. Anyone who thinks that the locals would be better off without the restaurant are the ones who are engaging in exploitation.

So Sousa is pulling off a Rust Belt chic cash in? Let's be honest, I doubt you know anything about his motivation. He's moving his family as a publicity stunt?
Plus it should mean jobs for local residents working at the restaurant.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:42 PM

799 posts, read 1,284,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
2 years rent free + free money from "grants + promotion in the Post Gazette for his other restaurants might be a decent motivator.
You can get similar benefits in many places around Pittsburgh. The risk for Sousa is still huge. Will customers come to Braddock? No one knows. The incentives do help mitigate some of that risk. But he's built up quite the name for himself. There are a number of smarter ways to bank off of Rust Belt chic.

Regardless, nothing exploitative about moving your family to Braddock.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:46 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,933,215 times
He's been a success in places people thought should be avoided or had given up on in the old days: Garfield and East Liberty. I give him a lot of credit. He took risks with his other restaurants and became very successful. I see this as a natural progression of what he does - it's more than just a business for him.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
- it's more than just a business for him.
I agree. At least, that is how it seems. I don't think the cynicism is warranted.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:16 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,686,981 times
Quote:
The risk for Sousa is still huge.
From the article:

Quote:
Because Heritage has worked out a deal in which he'll pay no rent for the first two years, Mr. Sousa said he'll be able to afford taking a few more risks than at Salt with his modern American cuisine.
Also difference of opinion =/= cynicism.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
From the article:

Also difference of opinion =/= cynicism.
Yes, I commented on the risk mitigation. What equals cynicism is assuming motive. It's cynical because you offer no proof. You are making it up.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:41 PM

264 posts, read 489,895 times
John Vlasic opened Alla Famiglia in Allentown and business is pretty bustling on most nights (I did a brief cooking stint there a few months back). I'm not very familiar with Braddock, but from what I read and hear it seems way worse off than Allentown, although A-town seems to be in the news for crime a lot more. Either way, I think the precedent has been set; if you build it, and offer a unique and high-quality dining experience, they will indeed come...no matter the location.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:59 PM

14,361 posts, read 16,879,345 times
This is changing the subject a bit, but is there really any legit reason to be scared of Braddock these days?

My impression is it's become so down and out/population has declined so much that it's not all that unsafe. Looking at PA crime statistics, its rates of everything other than drug and alcohol offenses are significantly below county averages. AFAIK the last murders were over nine years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh