Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 07:24 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,871,363 times

Advertisements

Wilkinsburg would be a middle-ground between East Liberty and Braddock (in more ways than one).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 09:39 PM

73 posts, read 119,615 times
The Braddock Carnegie Library is (slowly) renovating the Music Hall. Once done, it will have, bar none, the best acoustics of any forum seating 750-900 people in southwestern PA. While the room is much the same as Homestead, when Homestead "upgraded" to plywood auditorium seats, Braddock's library was already sliding toward disuse. Consequently, Braddock still retains its cast-iron chairs which break up sound waves in the most amazing fashion, contrasting the hard iron edges and soft upholstered surfaces. Once the renovations are done, I'm hoping some bright soul understands that Braddock's music hall could be the premiere venue for acoustic music in southwestern PA and starts programming acts there. Sometimes neglect creates amazing opportunities.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:14 AM

357 posts, read 885,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madg0at View Post

Braddock has none of that and that is the root of the monumental risk Sousa is taking.
The other risk Sousa is taking is spreading himself too thin. He has or will open several new restaurant fairly quickly, and that is not an easy business to be in (even with just one store). I've had at least one friend of mine claim that he thinks that Salt has had a drop in quality since the other place in East Liberty opened. I don't know how true that is (personally, I'd rather eat at Verde than Salt), but growing too fast is something Sousa should worry about.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:48 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,482,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
In my opinion, somewhere that has existing businesses that could benefit from a new draw to the area. Perhaps it would be better to choose stagnant but still stable neighborhoods, like Brookline or Bellevue or Forest Hills, that could use a boost. Or perhaps, if you were to go the way of choosing a neighborhood that is on its last legs that needs substantial revitalization, at least choose one with both existing businesses and an intact business district (Homestead, West End Village, Mount Oliver, Allentown, Stowe, Swissvale, etc.). This is all just my opinion, though. Hopefully, Braddock will be able to build on the investment.

In my opinion, the main reason why Sousa is locating there is the awesome funding package that he is no doubt getting. In comparison, in the other neighborhoods mentioned he would likely have to come up with the money himself. Since his other restaurants are so new how much money could he have socked away? He would be reliant on finding investors which would decrease the amount of money that he would make.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:43 AM

268 posts, read 383,121 times
Exactly robrobrob! Have you guys read the article? Thanks in part to all of the County CDBG money (which has been fueling a lot of Braddock's success) Sousa will be operating out of a newly renovated building RENT FREE FOR TWO YEARS. That is enough of a reason to give it a shot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh