Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 07:24 PM

14,351 posts, read 17,003,432 times

Advertisements

Beautiful!

Since discovering Jim Thorpe, I have been wondering if maybe, possibly, one Mon Valley town could remake itself in similar tourist trap fashion. Donora, based upon built structure alone, looks a likely suspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 07:59 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,028,266 times
Wait until you see Monongahela. It's part 3 of the photo tour and I've saved the best for last. Monongahela is a really nice town that is managing to revitalize itself relatively well. It's the oldest city in the Mon Valley and has a lot of history which would make it a good candidate. Brownsville would probably be my top choice if we could save one Mon Valley town, but it's kind of rough. Monongahela is going to surprise you all, I think.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:03 PM

531 posts, read 501,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Wait until you see Monongahela. It's part 3 of the photo tour and I've saved the best for last. Monongahela is a really nice town that is managing to revitalize itself relatively well. It's the oldest city in the Mon Valley and has a lot of history which would make it a good candidate. Brownsville would probably be my top choice if we could save one Mon Valley town, but it's kind of rough. Monongahela is going to surprise you all, I think.
Not me! I used to live there, and have been back many times in the last decade.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:10 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,970,959 times
Do you try to time most of your shots to avoid having people in them? Or is that just a byproduct of so many of your tours being in places that have suffered population loss?

Old 06-21-2012, 03:46 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,028,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Do you try to time most of your shots to avoid having people in them? Or is that just a byproduct of so many of your tours being in places that have suffered population loss?
I'm not usually paying attention to whether there are people in my shots or not. I am more interested in documenting the buildings before they are lost. It can be awkward to take pictures with people in them, because they almost always ask, "What are you taking pictures for?" and sometimes not in a nice way. That said, I don't avoid taking pictures with people in them, however I try to avoid pictures with cars or trucks flying by or blocking buildings. I will say that some interesting conversations have come about when people have asked me why I was taking pictures. I captured a few people in Donora. There were only a couple people on the street, and the ones you see in the photos were the only people I saw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh