Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2015, 05:48 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,159 times

Advertisements

The real difference may be next year, when the Cubs go out and spend for another starter like Price. At the same time, the Pirates get such value (Kang, Happ, even Liriano's contract) that they can regularly outperform the big spenders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 10:13 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,242,702 times
Good old reds did Bucs a big favor yesterday. this is getting really close - I watch more Pirates baseball here in Seattle than I did in Pittsburgh!!

Was at the Mariners last night and if the Rockies are as bad against the Bucs as they were last night, then that should be a win or 3 in the bag!!

Old 09-13-2015, 10:39 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Cubs were all but atrocious last year. So what if they're 31m above the Bucs? They're made a huge turnaround from last year and now on their heels. Always interesting as to those who care so much about protecting Bob's checkbook for him.

Thankfully though, they spent some this year at/before the deadline and got some help.

Last edited by erieguy; 09-13-2015 at 10:53 AM..

Old 09-13-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlurmsMcKenzie View Post
The real difference may be next year, when the Cubs go out and spend for another starter like Price. At the same time, the Pirates get such value (Kang, Happ, even Liriano's contract) that they can regularly outperform the big spenders.
Searage has got to be a genius. No idea what he makes but it's not enough.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:39 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Cubs were all but atrocious last year. So what if they're 31m above the Bucs? They're made a huge turnaround from last year and now on their heels. Always interesting as to those who care so much about protecting Bob's checkbook for him.
Same old yinzer standard bullbleep reply. From Madden's rotted mouth to your ears.

Competitive playoff team three years running. Check.
Solid, sustainable minor league organization. Check.
Acknowledged in MLB as the most progressive users of advanced data. Check.
One of only teams with data analysts travelling with the team. Check.
One of the better organizations in Latin America in MLB. Check.
Significant increases in scouting expenses. Check.
85% increase in payroll over five years. Check.
Development of executive talent that is now being recruited by other MLB teams. Check.
System-wide cultural change. Check.

Sounds like a pretty good businessman to me.

All that's missing is a trophy. Which we're not going to know about for at least another three weeks. So I suggest letting it play out.

Yes, the Cubs were atrocious last year. Which was Epstein's third year at the helm. They haven't won anything yet either, y'know.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:45 PM

It doesn't take any sports media figure to know Bob's priorities, but ask anyone of them and most will say in as nice of a way as possible, some won't care how they say it, that Bob is cheap. Madden certainly isn't alone or discovered that obvious truth...but it takes nothing more than paying attention to when Bob took over and watching payroll to know paying down the debt is priority one.

Nope, they haven't, but it appears they will do everything possible to use the resources they have to win. Big difference.

The majority, if not all fans want a championship. You've said that's not important and many Bucs fans are okay with that for some reason. Standards differ. Gimmicks, tix prices, sustainability, etc..., aren't as important to some as others.

It will be great to see how it plays out. If/when the Bucs win a WS, the talk of it not mattering will instantly reverse.

Edit: Since you're always bringing up Madden, I see has his own tv show now also. Must be getting something right for that to happen.

Last edited by erieguy; 09-13-2015 at 02:22 PM..

Old 09-13-2015, 01:56 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Competitive playoff team three years running. Check.
Yes. I don't see the problem.

Old 09-13-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Yes. I don't see the problem.
Most Bucs fans are satisfied with that and Buctober being the shortest month of the year. Some aren't. Highlights from '79 get even older.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:09 PM

419 posts, read 445,900 times
That was one heck of a comeback by the boys today after being down 6-1 early. This is the sign of a hungry team. Liriano wasn't sharp today. Kudos again to the bullpen for holding it down. It took 22 players in 11 innings to get it done. That's September baseball...Whatever it takes. With all due respect guys, let's quit worrying about how cheap Nutting is and enjoy the ride. There's plenty of time in the off season to scrutinize.

Last edited by Rocket88; 09-13-2015 at 04:17 PM..

Old 09-13-2015, 07:39 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Edit: Since you're always bringing up Madden, I see has his own tv show now also. Must be getting something right for that to happen.
I'll revert to a recent reply I gave you on another thread about food:

"No one has ever gone broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
- H.L. Mencken

Lots of people incapable of forming their own opinions based on their own research who prefer to be led around by the loudest voice in the room. Happens in politics, happens in sports talk.

Me, I think Nutting is a helluva businessman. And his chief architect has built something pretty good for this city. His reward shouldn't be doing it at a personal loss. It's an MLB team, not a charitable trust.

When the Bucs do win a WS, I'll guarantee that Madden and others of his ilk will chalk it up to dumb luck.

And I didn't say championships weren't important, so try not to put words in my mouth, mmkay?

Last edited by sskink; 09-13-2015 at 07:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh