Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 08:39 AM

27 posts, read 61,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
Some of those places would be a terrible commute! Why not live closer to Pitt especially that you don't need to worry about schools.

I guess it will all depend on $$$. Would love to live close, but if that premium is an additional 20%, then it wouldn't be worth it to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 08:47 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jccorn View Post
I guess it will all depend on $$$. Would love to live close, but if that premium is an additional 20%, then it wouldn't be worth it to us.
I agree you should buy something nice in a safe portion of the city (most of the city is safe, BTW) with bad schools. Highland Park or Friendship would be great choices, for example - both cheaper than Mount Lebanon by far.

That said, you need to state your price range, as well as your preference for new/old houses. Obviously if you don't like Victorian-style architecture, and want something new, options in the City will be more limited.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:59 AM

27 posts, read 61,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
That said, you need to state your price range, as well as your preference for new/old houses. Obviously if you don't like Victorian-style architecture, and want something new, options in the City will be more limited.
We probably wouldn't feel comfortable buying a 100 year old home. But we're open to 1950 and newer. As for price range (no more than $255k, but would prefer lower), we can probably afford spending a bit more to be closer, simply because if you factor in gas/wear and tear on the car from commuting, my guess is you could justify about $120 more a month to live in closer (e.g. 15 mi commute vs. 35 mi commute).

At this point, we're really just curious about people's experiences in moving and buying without renting. We''re doing our homework, we understand taxes vary from area to area, but we wondering about financing and such. Is it normal for a bank to lend to someone who is taking a new job, moving to a new city? At this point, because we have more than two dogs, I think renting isn't an option for us.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:21 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
It seems like you have made up your mind, but I'll just briefly add I really think you should rent first (and it is possible to work out a deal on pets in many cases--working with a real estate agent who handles a lot of rentals might be able to help). It is just too hard to really understand your options here from a distance, and buying eliminates your penalty-free option to move for several years.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:25 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,639,371 times
We were kind of in between. We found a short term rental ( 4 months) and searched for buying during that time. We did have a dog and cat as well and as you noted that turned alot of people off. We worked with a real eastate agent who found us a place to rent that had been on the market for months and was sitting empty. It was a perfect situation for us and the owner.. In hind sight I wish we would have rented a year to figure out more about the area. Although we really like our house an area we would have looked a few miles down the road and payed much less in taxes. We did buy right before the real estate market changed and had no problems with getting a loan. We both had stellar credit and work history's so having two week work hx here did not hurt us any.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:36 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
We probably wouldn't feel comfortable buying a 100 year old home. But we're open to 1950 and newer. As for price range (no more than $255k, but would prefer lower), we can probably afford spending a bit more to be closer, simply because if you factor in gas/wear and tear on the car from commuting, my guess is you could justify about $120 more a month to live in closer (e.g. 15 mi commute vs. 35 mi commute).
If you want post-1950 construction, the city probably isn't for you. There are a few postwar neighborhoods in the city, like Stanton Heights, Swisshelm Park, Summer Hill, Banksville, Westwood, Crafton Heights, etc. They are all affordable and safe (not entirely sure on Westwood though, neighboring Sheraden has been going downhill). That said, the city imposes a 3% wage tax on residents, but not commuters. Property taxes are actually as a result lower in the city, meaning your overall tax burden isn't as high as it would seem, but many view it as too steep a price to pay. Generally most people in those neighborhoods are either long-time locals, or city employees who are forced to remain residents as conditions of employment.

In addition, it sounds like you don't want to try to live where you have access to mass transit? Is that correct? Oakland has pretty good bus access, so it's totally possible if you lived somewhere outside of the city unfashionable but safe (like portions of Swissvale), you'd never have to drive to work. That said, areas like that typically fail your no prewar housing rule.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:56 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,197 times
Quote:
I just accepted a job to Pittsburgh. Yay! No place to rent. Boo!

It appears the Pittsburgh rental market is almost non-existent
So far from being true. Rentals are huge business in this region. I seriously can't believe you can't find something. I admit, when you see a place, you have to act fast.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:33 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,573,359 times
Quote:
but we wondering about financing and such. Is it normal for a bank to lend to someone who is taking a new job, moving to a new city? At this point, because we have more than two dogs, I think renting isn't an option for us.
Currently, banks will generally lend to people when they are moving for a new job if the job is in the same field they have been working in with a stable employment history for (at least) the past 2 years. Individual results may vary.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:50 AM

9 posts, read 20,532 times
Buying is what we had to did, moving here last year, for some of the same reasons your considering. Its the best option, I don't regret it, although I'm now being transferred!
Have you considered Duquesne Hts. (Mt Washington)? Safe and friendly, easy commute anywhere, bike path to Pitt. New dog park down the street at Olympia Park.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:00 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
So far from being true. Rentals are huge business in this region. I seriously can't believe you can't find something. I admit, when you see a place, you have to act fast.
With more than two dogs? It's a whole lot tougher.

Still, I think I'd attempt to hold out for a rental rather than buying first thing moving into town. It puts so much pressure on the buying process that way, and you really don't want that. It can cause you to accept a house or terms or so forth that are really far from ideal.

Try to find townhouse or single family home rentals, and possibly check with a real estate agent as Brian said. Apartments are likely a non-starter with more than two dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh