Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 08:46 AM

71 posts, read 302,745 times

Advertisements

Why does Pittsburgh not have any Hispanics?

Erie population 104,000
Pittsburgh population - 330,000

Total Numbers (taken from City-Data):
Erie - Hispanic (may be of any race): 4,572
Pittsburgh -Hispanic or Latino (may be of any race): 4,425

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 10:15 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Pittsburgh simply doesn't have the type of employment that draws the Hispanics who generally increase the population percentage.

In other words, Hispancs don't find Pittsburgh a viable place to live.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:21 AM

101 posts, read 353,624 times
There was a good article in the Post Gazette a few months in regards to this issue:

What's stopping Pittsburgh from growing

Old 07-25-2007, 12:10 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,967,818 times
When I was in college in Erie inthe 70s, there was a migrant Hispanic population that came and went for the vineyard harvesting season. Perhaps some have chosen to make Erie their home over the last several decades. Pittsburgh has a small but growing Hispanic population that (I think I read) is composed largely of professional people.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:48 PM

67 posts, read 288,319 times
Gee is correct about the growing community. Look at Beechview - they've seen a number of restaurants and grocers open to serve the Latino population. I believe the local church conducts Spanish masses. On my small street in the suburbs, we have 1 Puerto Rican dad, 1 Puerto Rican mom, 1 Guatemalan mom, 1 Mexican mom. They're professional folks, and 2 are heavily involved in the Pgh area "hispanic" societies.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:43 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,901 times
I visited last year with the idea of relocating and was surprised at how few Hispanics were there.

I live in a city that is 60% latino. My kids went to a Spanish language immersion school so we feel quite at home around the latino culture. It's something we would miss if we moved back there. Of course, maybe we'd influence hispanic friends to move there once they saw how great the home prices are!

Old 07-26-2007, 07:43 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,967,818 times
That's the way to do it, Juliegt. I think once people come here and see the place, they like it. If they have family and acquaintances here, it makes it easier and more comfortable for new people to come. It's good to have an established community, but someone has to start!

Old 07-29-2007, 08:51 PM

6 posts, read 12,506 times
Its becasuse all the hispanics are here in phila. killing each other. Phila. has more laborous work with is attractive to hispanics so thats why they make up half of the urban population here in philly. NEXT QUESTION!

Old 10-03-2007, 06:51 PM

7 posts, read 18,717 times
ah Beechview was just considered the first Hispanic neighborhood in the city. I have many Mexican friends in this neighborhood. all of my friends have purchased or are purchasing their homes and raising families. I absolutely love my neighborhood because we have such a diverse racial, ethnic, population. All of my siblings have ran off to the suburbs to raise their children thinking they are giving them a better education, when in fact they are sheltering them from education.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:31 AM

457 posts, read 431,666 times
Divine providence, perhaps? If you have ever lived in a border town or most anywhere in Texas, the last thing you want to see is a large influx of migrant and illegal hispanics.

I know that this may strike some chords with people, but, when you live in a city that actually negotiates with the legal hispanic community's leaders regarding deportation of ILLEGALS, you tend to get irritated with the whole issue.
Deportation fears reaching schools | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | News: Education (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/education/stories/DN-deportimpact_04met.ART.North.Edition1.421e918.html - broken link)

The "leaders" of the hispanic community are making statements such as "Why should the city be allowed to deport people from a simple traffic stop??" Is that not the most absurd thing you've heard? If you are here illegally, it doesn't matter if you are discovered while helping an elderly woman across the street, you should be booted, and immediately.

Do we really want to see that come to Pittsburgh? I sure don't.

Last edited by PApisces; 10-04-2007 at 07:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh