Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 08:11 PM

598 posts, read 748,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm sorry dude, this is just f*cked up.

While I don't think school rankings work as intended (as scores say more about the ethnic and economic demographics of a school than teaching quality) the reason they are published is to allow parents a rough yardstick to determine school quality.

It's not a soccer match. Who the hell cares if you score a little worse because your district has more working-class kids? Does it really matter that you lose purported bragging rights to Upper Saint Clair on a technicality? Either way your own child would get essentially the same education.
eschaton, he has a point. The quality of the school district directly affects the quality of the neighborhood. A while ago you asked what can be done to prevent people from abandoning neighborhoods and moving to soulless Cranberry. Maintaining the best school district is a sure way of keeping the neighborhood together longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 08:55 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanPioneer View Post
eschaton, he has a point. The quality of the school district directly affects the quality of the neighborhood. A while ago you asked what can be done to prevent people from abandoning neighborhoods and moving to soulless Cranberry. Maintaining the best school district is a sure way of keeping the neighborhood together longer.
I'm sorry, I just don't understand what you mean here. Unless it's merely idiots who don't bother looking into things will make a false assumption, and catering to that assumption is better than correcting it.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:47 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanPioneer View Post
Though it's personally not my style, I understand that Cranberry serves a purpose--gives people good schools, amenities, and relatively upscale (however tacky) housing stock at a reasonable price.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:50 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Though it's personally not my style, I understand that Cranberry serves a purpose--gives people good schools, amenities, and relatively upscale (however tacky) housing stock at a reasonable price.
Tacky?

Suburbia looks gorgeous to me.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:55 PM

I prefer city neighborhoods and inner ring suburbs myself, but I'll also probably be able to afford to live well in one of them. If my prospects weren't so great and I had a family to take care of, perhaps I myself would be tempted to ship out to a place like Cranberry.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:09 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
As this thread continues I'd like to remind everyone to stay calm and discuss the topic, not each other.
Again.
Please.
Yac.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:30 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
It was, in point of fact, about a proposed solution to violence-ridden and under-performing schools; namely, to make it possible for some (presumably the worthiest) students to escape while at least implicitly abandoning the (presumably incorrigible) residue to their fate: nasty, brutish and short.
From what I understand, Woodland Hills does this, except without literally removing students. A friend lives in that school district. She is confident of her children's success in the district because she says the district keeps the children segregated according to academic performance.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:58 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
It isn't like the Fox Chapel SD containing a mix of municipalities is new, and I don't see evidence of Fox Chapel the municipality suffering in terms of being able to attract wealthy households as a result.

This notion that wealthy people do not want to have any association whatsoever with poorer people is not actually reflected in the real world, and rather just appears to be an expression of personal preference on the part of a few posters here (explainable by the fact that they are not secure in their own class status).

Old 06-28-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
It isn't like the Fox Chapel SD containing a mix of municipalities is new, and I don't see evidence of Fox Chapel the municipality suffering in terms of being able to attract wealthy households as a result.

This notion that wealthy people do not want to have any association whatsoever with poorer people is not actually reflected in the real world, and rather just appears to be an expression of personal preference on the part of a few posters here (explainable by the fact that they are not secure in their own class status).
You're absolutely right about that. I come from a similarly affluent area, and I've met incredibly few people who share Curt's attitude in this regard.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:16 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,979 times
Woodland Hills has now followed Wilkinsburg. The decisions are very nearly parallel: a small millage hike (0.56 vs. 1.67), staff furlough (10 vs. 47), and the closure of a major program component (Boyce Campus Middle College program vs. Johnson Elementary).

Quote:
During public comment, one resident brought up the fact that next year, the school district will have to make some difficult decisions. Messina [president of the Board] responded, stating, “The changes will have to be made—or we won’t have a district anymore.”
And perhaps that would be for the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh