Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 06:46 PM

141 posts, read 721,629 times

Advertisements

Don't be afraid of the food safety course for the health dept- you go to an all day class, then take a test..and during the class they keep saying "and THIS will be on the test". Its just basic food safety (temps, cleaning, pest program, etc). The PA requirement is that at least 1 person trained in their course be on the premisis at all times. They can walk in at any moment and ask who it is (but it rarely happens).

As far as a coffee shop in Oakland (where Pitt is) there is already enough in my opinion. There is Starbucks, Kiva Han, Panera (not technically a coffee shop, but it serves the same purpose), and Caribou. And I am sure the rent is horrendous in Oakland. The only benefit is that not only do you get University traffic, but hospital traffic as well.

Southside has more traffic at night than during the day, at least it did when I lived there 5 yrs ago. My favorite coffee place is now a bar instead, which probably tells you how well they were doing (that and they were across the street from the Beehive!) Southside has Starbucks, Beehive, Caribou, Tuscany, Crazy mocha, and Cafe Cravings. And this is all within about 15 blocks.

Others may be able to recommend other neighborhoods; I work in Oakland and live in an area without much foot traffic.

Either way, good luck to you! I am married to someone in the restaurant business, I know how hard it is- your heart really has to be in it, as I can see yours' is. Knock em dead!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 06:55 PM

314 posts, read 848,928 times
I have been in the service industry 16+ years always in the service capacity. I feel like I have learned invaluable info from this and that I need to put that data to good use. Thanx for the vote of confidence. I know that I will pretty much have to be married to the business if we do it but the good news is that it is the kind of business where the whole family can be involved so we can still have quality time

Boylocke, I adore you. You are welcome to come and study and post on this forum in my coffee shop. I know you would be a great asset so you get free coffe for life:P
Just out of curiosity, how hard is it to get a liquor liscence. I probably wouldn't bite off that much to chew to begin with but it would be great to be able to serve coffeetails.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:30 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,997 times
Quote:
Boylocke, I adore you. You are welcome to come and study and post on this forum in my coffee shop. I know you would be a great asset so you get free coffe for life:P
Just out of curiosity, how hard is it to get a liquor liscence. I probably wouldn't bite off that much to chew to begin with but it would be great to be able to serve coffeetails.
LOL, thank you!! A liquor license is expensive, I'm not sure the specifics. Tuscany has one though, and you're right, it may pay off.

If you add a healthcare clinic to your coffee house I will come do blood pressure, cholesterol, body mass index, and bone density screenings for you!! I can also administer vaccines and flu shots etc. I can also offer free consultation and what pharmacists call "brown bag" events when patients come with a brown bag of all their medicine and dump it out on the table. The pharmacist then counsels them on everything and anything they want to know. Clinical trials show that when pharmacists get involved in the healthcare chain (ie. nurses, physicians), clinical outcomes go through the roof. There is a huge push from the government right now to get pharmacists dispensing less and counseling and offering cognitive services more. We now get paid for those services, too, starting this past year!!!!! We are considered the most easily accessible, under utilized, and most trusted medical profession in the country. :P

How unique would that be????? Coffee house plus healthcare!! I'm not even convinced it couldn't work!!

Old 09-29-2007, 07:41 PM

I know it certainly would be cool to offer the seasonal shots there on like a Sat or something. It would bring us both business and help out the community. Too much fun.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
I know it certainly would be cool to offer the seasonal shots there on like a Sat or something. It would bring us both business and help out the community. Too much fun.
Yeah, and any time they have something done, instead of suggesting to drink some orange juice, it'll be a grande caramel macchiato with a shot of bailey's!

Old 09-29-2007, 07:52 PM

Nothing makes you feel better than caffeine and liquor. LOL. I am taking a phlebotomy class! We could do a blood drive and get 'em liquored up afterwards. That could be the Grand Opening. Get the radio station down there and offer free beignets or a coffetail (I made that word up myself if they give blood. Ha ha, we are silly

Old 09-29-2007, 07:53 PM

BTW. It is official, we have a new contract on the house. If things go as planned we might even be there for teh Pic-a-nic:0

Old 09-29-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
BTW. It is official, we have a new contract on the house. If things go as planned we might even be there for teh Pic-a-nic:0
Wow that's great news!! I would be delighted to meet you and yours at the picnic!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh