Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 06:56 PM

314 posts, read 846,311 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were talking about opening a New Orleans syle coffe shop that serves Cafe Au Lait, Beignets and, maybe, Po Boys and Muffelatta's at lunch. We would want to do it on or near campus and, to start, be open early mornings until 2 or 3 in the afternoon. It would be super cashy (casual-like?) with couches and local art on the walls. Has this been doen already? If not, do you think it would work? We are both really personable people that, I think, would be able to build a regualr clientel. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Oh, and any thoughts on the bureauracracy involved? Is Pa a particularly red-tape filled state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 07:06 PM

24 posts, read 31,495 times
I am moving back into Pittsburgh soon and I know that there are a lot of independent coffee shops that thrive there. Like the Beehive, which got moved from Oakland to the South Side, and the Quiet Storm just to mention a few. You will probably build a good clientel on the east side near the universities. Lot more young professionals, college students, and older professionals that would go to coffee shops there. Thats the best I can help.

However, can I make a suggestion if you're doing this. Could you keep it open later, maybe in the evenings. There are tons of people like me that go to work, and like to sit in independent coffee shops after work in the evenings to unwind their days.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:23 PM

206 posts, read 686,717 times
I don't think an AM only business will do well here. This is not much of a breakfast town. IMO, you'd do better with an afternoon-evening only business if you don't want to be open all day. Local coffee shops do do well here though, so what you really need to find is a good location. Many of the best are already taken, so you might be better off going to a currently-underserved market.

The biggest red tape with a food-based business here is the health department. One of the owner managers will have to take a course and get a food safety certificate. This has to be renewed periodically and the health department has to review your and approve your restaurant design and inspect everything before you start and then periodically after you are open. If you Google "allegheny county health department" you'll find all the info.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:27 PM

Thanx alot for ya'll's advice. We were hoping to be able to run it ourselves initially hence the desire to do the morning thing. That and I wanted to serve beignets As an eventuality I would do 24 hours. In Austin, on UT campus, 24 hour coffe shops bank. We are kind of in the infancy of planning. This forum is just such a great sounding board with a really diverse group of intelligent and opinionated people. I had to run the idea by you guys!

Old 09-27-2007, 07:47 PM

457 posts, read 427,389 times
I agree what the others have said. There has always been room for many unique little cafes/coffeeshops, and they always did the best in afternoons and evenings. People drink coffee in the am, but they enjoy coffee at night.

The Beehive is a great one. I think they have always had the southside and oakland location at the same time though. Did the Beehive in Oakland close??? There was also "Sip" Cafe, and another in Shadyside that I forget the name of. It was below street level.

I think if you provide another unique atmosphere, I think there is potential. However, you'll have to make a REALLY good sandwhich because there are TONS of great sandwhich shops all over Pittsburgh. But, Pittsburghers always seem to have room and time to eat! Hence the usual 'Burgh greeting: "D'yeat yet?" :-)

Old 09-27-2007, 08:02 PM

206 posts, read 686,717 times
The South Side Beehive actually came first. And it's still there, and expanded, too.

The Oakland Beehive had a dispute with the landlord -- he wanted more money. They closed down four or five years ago and the space is still vacant. Doh! Guess that didn't work out like the landlord planned... Same story with St Elmo's Bookstore at the end of the Birmingham Bridge -- landlord wanted more -- now the place has been vacant at least 10 years.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:24 PM

24 posts, read 31,495 times
Oh, I thought the Oakland one was first. I heard about him wanting more money, kicking out the Beehive, and never having anyone else rent it out. Good way to make money. Kick out a thriving business for more money, but make none at all for over 10 years.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:26 PM

I find it heartening to see greed rewarded thusly. Too often it is commended.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:16 PM

Does anyone know of anywhere that serves beignets? I just want to know if has been done. And what are the coffee shops around town like. What I want to do is something swank and comfortable; couches and end tables instead of regular tables and chairs, lamps instead of harsh flourescent lights, even a fireplace if we can. Local artwork on the walls bookcases filled with books anyone can read and desks for folks to use their laptops etc at. Has this been done?

Also, I would like to do a real market survey. I would love it if all of you listed the thing you liek most in your coffe shop. Feel free to list multiple things but prioritize if you do. What is most important to you?

Thanx for all your help guys!!

Old 09-29-2007, 06:50 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,038,175 times
Quote:
And what are the coffee shops around town like. What I want to do is something swank and comfortable; couches and end tables instead of regular tables and chairs, lamps instead of harsh flourescent lights, even a fireplace if we can. Local artwork on the walls bookcases filled with books anyone can read and desks for folks to use their laptops etc at. Has this been done?
Pittsburgh has many different coffee houses and there is such a variety you're bound to find one you like. Your's sounds interesting, and might be a nice addition. We have your traditional Star Bucks and Seattle's Best. We also have Caribou Coffee and a local chain right out of Pittsburgh called Crazy Mocha, which is my favorite. There are also many independent coffee joints. Tuscany in the Southside is mostly gay, The Beehive caters to sort of the socially unaccepted and is quite interesting. Shadyside and Ellsworth Ave have a few up-scale joints that I am aware of. I believe there is a pretty strong market. Couches and end tables and lamps have been done, but you just have to make it you own! Adding beignets and making it New Orleans style should give you a unique flavor in town. No pun intended. :P

I will personally support your business because I like you!!!!!!!! You already have your first customer!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh