Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 05:54 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times

Advertisements

Mellon Green Park To Reopen With A Gate « CBS Pittsburgh

Sounds a little ugly with a fence. Also the cost of $450K? Can I please sign up to fix the park up to the point it would get world attention and they can pay me $200K? What a scam!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 06:10 PM

598 posts, read 748,008 times
Makes total sense. If I were to invest $450K in fixing my property located in the area where it can be vandalized, I'd have not just a fence around it, but a 10ft wall. Which is exactly what they are planning to do anyway.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:22 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Mellon Green Park To Reopen With A Gate « CBS Pittsburgh

Sounds a little ugly with a fence. Also the cost of $450K? Can I please sign up to fix the park up to the point it would get world attention and they can pay me $200K? What a scam!

It's a small plot of land. I'd re-sod it for $10K. And install the sprinklers! But then they wouldn't get the $440K fence.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:53 PM

Seriously, how can anyone spend $450K on that little flat lot? Are they putting in some big pond with rare fish? Perhaps a waterfall? Goodness, I can't imagine how you can even spend that kind of money on that little thing. Please hire me! I will do it for half that.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:09 PM

429 posts, read 654,170 times
Quote:
Seriously, how can anyone spend $450K on that little flat lot? Are they putting in some big pond with rare fish? Perhaps a waterfall? Goodness, I can't imagine how you can even spend that kind of money on that little thing. Please hire me! I will do it for half that.
Its called union labor.

And they would run you out if you tried to work down there as a private contractor offering to do it for only 100K. Hell, you may even have the mob boss come down packing heat to show you whats up. I am not joking either. It happened to our guys in Philly.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:16 PM

ok, ok, I may be over 30 now, but I still giggled at this quote in the article.

"make it harder to pitch a tent". aka marriage.

But anyways, how tacky. Nothing is more ridiculously unfriendly and un open than a fence in a open park. It will be cut, torn, and looking shabby in 2 years.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSGuy View Post
Its called union labor.

And they would run you out if you tried to work down there as a private contractor offering to do it for only 100K. Hell, you may even have the mob boss come down packing heat to show you whats up. I am not joking either. It happened to our guys in Philly.
Yeah, you are probably right. Corruption is all over the place, but I didn't think it would be as bad in the private sector as much. Of course if you want to have a booth at the Convention Center for some function, you can't bring your own material into the building no matter if it is a piece of paper. That would need to be carried in by a Teamster for a nice hefty fee. What a joke. Wish these unions would go bye,bye! Let working men actually work for some money instead of all that corruption. Look what PennDot and all the school districts run like. Talk about a scam! Ah well what is $450K when the CEO makes over $20 million a year while the stockholders make nothing. Just normal business these days.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Yeah, you are probably right. Corruption is all over the place, but I didn't think it would be as bad in the private sector as much. Of course if you want to have a booth at the Convention Center for some function, you can't bring your own material into the building no matter if it is a piece of paper. That would need to be carried in by a Teamster for a nice hefty fee. What a joke. Wish these unions would go bye,bye! Let working men actually work for some money instead of all that corruption. Look what PennDot and all the school districts run like. Talk about a scam! Ah well what is $450K when the CEO makes over $20 million a year while the stockholders make nothing. Just normal business these days.
Part of my job is to put construction bids together. The prevailing wage rates for jobs in Pittsburgh and Philly are well over 100 and hour per man including benefits and labor costs. Even if we get a job for a private company in Philly you can guarantee you that the local teamsters are fighting us and threatening our crews as soon was we show up. The story about them being chased out with the main Union guy showing the PM that he was packing is not a joke.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:10 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,022 times
I hope that the planning commission rejects the proposal although I'm not hopeful. I'm sure if I were one of the Occupy folks I'd take the new changes as a direct challenge. It still needs to meet all of the applicable requirements of "urban open space" and thus be accessible to the handicapped and be open ho the general public without restriction at all reasonable times. 959.06(B)(1)

Old 06-27-2012, 08:13 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:

June 16th found the husband and I sipping drinks in the fenced courtyard at Heinz Hall. It was a very pleasant experience, and very beautiful. I would think it cost way more than the $200K you'd like to charge. Hopefully Mellon's will be as nice!

And just WHO are they scamming?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh