Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 01:21 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Maybe, but the design was very well received when initially constructed:

Allegheny Commons East
  • Carnegie Mellon University Architecture Archives: drawings
  • Apartments of the Year. Architectural Record 155:6 (Mid-May 1974), 107-128.
  • “Pittsburgh architect Tasso G. Katselas.” SD: Space Design 130 (June 1975), 27-59.
  • “Low-Rise Housing in America: The Urban Scene: Allegheny Commons East.” Process Architecture 14 (April 1980), 48-51

And Franklin Toker praises the development in both his classes and print:

Some notable examples of infill architecture have been modern or post-modern buildings that fit in well despite their obvious break with the older environment, but Pittsburgh is particularly strong also in the "new urbanism" and "contextual" architectural design that deliberately seek to blend new buildings with our older building heritage. Prominent examples of the last two decades: Allegheny Commons East, Doughboy Square in Lawrenceville, Crawford Square on The Hill, the Village of Shadyside, and Washington's Landing. A useful if not essential requirement of contextualism is an architect who knows the local environment. Three such local architects are Tasso Katselas, UDA Associates, and Arthur Lubetz.
I was speaking to the ugliness of Allegheny Center as a whole, not the complex in particular. My thought more than aesthetics though was that despite the shortcomings of the Allegheny Center road pattern the area should be highly desirable, given the easy access to both parks and downtown, given the growth of downtown and "neartown" living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Personally, I don't have much of an issue with the development at all. I suspect certain people would characterize any complex that supported Section 8 housing with a large number of African-American tenants as a "nuisance" one, especially if it's in their neighborhood.
Do you think people in the War Streets find that highrise on the corner of North and Brighton a nuisance property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 01:38 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I was speaking to the ugliness of Allegheny Center as a whole, not the complex in particular. My thought more than aesthetics though was that despite the shortcomings of the Allegheny Center road pattern the area should be highly desirable, given the easy access to both parks and downtown, given the growth of downtown and "neartown" living.
just stand on the corner, there's just so much wrong with that development from an urban perspective. the set back from the street like it's in the middle of suburbia, then it's across from a blank wall. I'd love to see temple add some sort of cafe to the bottom floor of their building and redevelop that garage. replacing commons east with something more urban would be a good step

Old 06-29-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
just stand on the corner, there's just so much wrong with that development from an urban perspective. the set back from the street like it's in the middle of suburbia, then it's across from a blank wall. I'd love to see temple add some sort of cafe to the bottom floor of their building and redevelop that garage. replacing commons east with something more urban would be a good step
Yeah, I've biked through Commons with my daughter. It's absolutely terrible. Honestly, if it wasn't for the few gems (Children's Museum, Allegheny Academy, Hazlet Theater, the church some of the small buildings behind it), I'd advocate leveling the whole thing and starting over.

An interesting aside - Allegheny Center has the highest proportion of vacant units of any neighborhood in the city (around 50%, IIRC)

Old 06-29-2012, 02:07 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,252 times
Quote:
Honestly, if it wasn't for the few gems (Children's Museum, Allegheny Academy, Hazlet Theater, the church some of the small buildings behind it), I'd advocate leveling the whole thing and starting over.
It's ironic that precisely the same mindset birthed Allegheny Center in the first place.

I think the need to alter/ re-imagine/ partially demolish Allegheny Center is widely accepted. Aside from its sheer ugliness, the way it inhibits pedestrian access between the Northside and downtown is inexcusable. An entire apartment complex (Allegheny seven I think) sits completely vacant. I know that the City has at least explored reconnecting the street grid with the owners of Allegheny center and small, incremental progress (like the new Buhl park) is at least being achieved.

In response to the building on the corner of Brighton and North I will amend my original comment thusly:

Personally, I don't have much of an issue with the development at all. I suspect certain people would characterize any complex that supported Section 8 housing with a large number of ambulatory, African-American tenants as a "nuisance" one, especially if it's in their neighborhood.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:12 PM

716 posts, read 765,711 times
It amazes me that PNC has spent so many millions downtown yet there is no discussion about correcting the horrid mistake that was allegheny center- I believe that's their logo on the disgusting 60s mess that blocks Federal Street when you go up and circle around it- could be mistaken though. Even if they dont own it, that hasnt stopped them
from persuing land parcels to redevelop. Clearly redeveloping that monstrosity into something more viable and aesthetically pleasing is one key to opening up the full potential of the north side. Federal st and Ohio st should be reconnected and redeveloped- and not in a south side works way even- but in a way that would genuinely reflect the character of
The north side that was destroyed decades ago.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
It amazes me that PNC has spent so many millions downtown yet there is no discussion about correcting the horrid mistake that was allegheny center- I believe that's their logo on the disgusting 60s mess that blocks Federal Street when you go up and circle around it- could be mistaken though. Even if they dont own it, that hasnt stopped them
from persuing land parcels to redevelop. Clearly redeveloping that monstrosity into something more viable and aesthetically pleasing is one key to opening up the full potential of the north side. Federal st and Ohio st should be reconnected and redeveloped- and not in a south side works way even- but in a way that would genuinely reflect the character of
I've looked on maps at the feasibility of restoring the old grid. Sadly it can't be done fully, because the Children's Museum decided in the last decade to merge the old post office and planetarium, and the addition directly blocks where the old road would have been.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:40 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,514 times
Quote:

Do you think people in the War Streets find that highrise on the corner of North and Brighton a nuisance property?
It's a senior tower. It's not the most attractive bit of architecture in the world but unless there's some septuagenarian street gang that I don't know about, I don't think it's a problem.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
PNC only recently inherited that office space when they acquired National City. My sense is that they're bound by the leases now, but when all of the new construction for them is complete downtown, I suspect that they'll vacate their Allegheny Center offices.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:47 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
you only really need federal st, even if it's just restored for pedestrian access (though PAT might appreciate running buses through the center, assuming they're still around)

Old 06-29-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
It's a senior tower. It's not the most attractive bit of architecture in the world but unless there's some septuagenarian street gang that I don't know about, I don't think it's a problem.
Little do you know:

West Park Court Crips
affiliation/main colors: Crips/ anything polyester
alliance: big cars, all-you can eat buffets, CBS
loose alliance: Bill O'Reilly,
known to not get along with: technology
known rival(s): young whipper snappers, gravity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh