Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 07:23 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

Giant Eagle Announces New Discount Super Market « CBS Pittsburgh

I don't know if it will be successful, but seems some just love Giant Eagle's style, so the location is a good one for that. I don't expect to see this in and around the East End anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 08:50 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I don't expect to see this in and around the East End anytime soon.
Why not? Contrary to popular belief, my dear Mr. Curtis, not everyone in the East End sips lattes while driving a BMW SUV and owns three Prada handbags. There are plenty of us in Bloomfield, Polish Hill, Lawrenceville, Friendship, Stanton Heights, Morningside, East Liberty, and other areas that would welcome a discount grocer.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:08 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
Here's a quote from the link.

Quote:
What does that mean? How about a grocery discount war with the lowest possible prices.
Sounds like a race to the bottom.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:34 AM

57 posts, read 105,451 times
seems like it was just yesterday they created market district to compete with Whole foods.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:39 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Giant Eagle had no choice after Bottom Dollar moved into the area. As matter of fact, Bottom Dollar already planned a store in the exact same shopping center, where Goodwill was located. That's why Giant Eagle is taking the Roomful Express space for Valu King. Discount grocery stores aren't new to Giant Eagle, just new to the Pittsburgh market. Giant Eagle had gotten away with being overpriced for way too long. Love this competition. The region needed it. Our housing costs may have been low but our food prices were higher than some high cost of living areas. I'm excited that this will be happening in the North Hills.

Quote:
Analysts like Guskey say Giant Eagle couldn’t afford to be left out.

“Now they realize that customers are ready for this kind of discount,” she said.
Love this quote from the article. It's hillarious. Like we weren't ready for discounts before now? LMAO!

Curtis, Market District's style isn't going to stop this from being a big hit.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:55 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I don't know if it will be successful, but seems some just love Giant Eagle's style, so the location is a good one for that. I don't expect to see this in and around the East End anytime soon.

You're probably right.

The community busybodies are putting a lot of roadblocks to Bottom Dollar's plans to locate at S. Pacific and Penn, and they don't seem too fast at moving forward on the Aldi planned for the Lenny Levy building.

Until Giant Eagle sees competition in the east, they aren't going to move forward on expanding their discount concept that way.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
You're probably right.

The community busybodies are putting a lot of roadblocks to Bottom Dollar's plans to locate at S. Pacific and Penn, and they don't seem too fast at moving forward on the Aldi planned for the Lenny Levy building.

Until Giant Eagle sees competition in the east, they aren't going to move forward on expanding their discount concept that way.
That's such a shame.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:17 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,055 times
Aldi's seems like fair quality, although I've only ever shopped there a couple times. It's hard for me to get behind the "discount grocery" concept in general. Food doesn't magically appear in a box or in shrink wrapped packaging, and it the entire production process should be of good quality and a fair deal for everyone involved in it - why drive the price down even further to get overprocessed garbage?

I don't have time to research the statistics atm, but IIRC the percentage of a person's income spent on food has been steadily declining for years (because of historically very sheap food prices), although looking around you would never guess it.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:27 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Giant Eagle had gotten away with being overpriced for way too long. Love this competition.
Moving back to Pittsburgh from Nashville, my wife and I were stunned by Giant Eagle's prices. I guess we were just accustomed to it when we last lived here (3 years ago), but basic staples were literally 1/2 to 3/4 the price at Tennessee Kroger's. Until we get back on our feet economically from the move, we literally can't afford to shop at Giant Eagle. (Aldi's has been a lifesaver in this sense.)

Old 06-30-2012, 02:52 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
i was stunned by giant eagle food prices when i moved here from *nyc*!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh