Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 10:06 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrian12 View Post
moron 5
Freudian slip of the day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 10:22 AM

911 posts, read 2,367,591 times
^ haha it wasnt a slip

Old 12-30-2013, 10:56 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,828,709 times
I had to listen to WDVE while I was having an MRI done on my knee the other day. I only recognized 3 out of 5 songs, and can only remember one, that "Come On and Dance" song by the Steve Miller Band. I think if anything had been by LZ, at least through the first four albums, I'd've recognized it.

The MRI tech was really funny. He wanted to listen to DVE. He asked me if DVE was okay. I said, how about WYEP? He said he had never heard of it (right). I told him it was the "alternative." He asked me where it was. I told him, and he told me they don't get "those public radio" stations in the MRI room, so "why don't we listen to DVE"?

It was only 20 minutes. I gave in.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:13 PM

706 posts, read 1,043,223 times
I just renewed my satellite radio subscription again. There is no turning back. The sound quality is better and there are no commercials and minimal talk on the music channels. Not to mention pretty much any genre of music you want. My favorite station is channel 33, First Wave. It is all of the 80s alternative and New Wave artists like The Smiths, Echo and the Bunnymen, Jesus and Mary Chain and so on. I also like channel 32, The Bridge. It is the the mellow songs of Classic Rock, like Carole King, Jackson Browne, America, etc.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:08 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,895,327 times
I don't know what station 101.1 is here, but that's dc101 (alt rock in dc) and I cant seem to get it in my car. everyone else seems to get it. id hope its alt rock?

Old 12-30-2013, 05:13 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,895,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
I just renewed my satellite radio subscription again. There is no turning back. The sound quality is better and there are no commercials and minimal talk on the music channels. Not to mention pretty much any genre of music you want. My favorite station is channel 33, First Wave. It is all of the 80s alternative and New Wave artists like The Smiths, Echo and the Bunnymen, Jesus and Mary Chain and so on. I also like channel 32, The Bridge. It is the the mellow songs of Classic Rock, like Carole King, Jackson Browne, America, etc.

I used to have Sirius back in 04 and since then its gotten worse. I now listen to Pandora for music.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:43 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I said, how about WYEP? He said he had never heard of it (right). I told him it was the "alternative." He asked me where it was. I told him, and he told me they don't get "those public radio" stations in the MRI room, so "why don't we listen to DVE"?

WEP is fine for a while, but if you listen to that ALL day long, I think it would be VERY bad for you. Talk about a pile of negative news to fuel their agenda. I am in agreement with some of what they are pushing with their presentations, but do I really want to hear about that crap all day? I know people who listen to that and they are all the same. The look hopeless. Not good.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:59 PM

706 posts, read 1,043,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
WEP is fine for a while, but if you listen to that ALL day long, I think it would be VERY bad for you. Talk about a pile of negative news to fuel their agenda. I am in agreement with some of what they are pushing with their presentations, but do I really want to hear about that crap all day? I know people who listen to that and they are all the same. The look hopeless. Not good.
Rosemary Welsh has been a DJ on WYEP for many years. I like her, but she sometimes gets in these modes where she is catering highly to her lesbian audience by playing a lot of Indigo Girls etc. I do not mind some of it but sometimes it is too much. It does not really speak to me, although I do respect diversity and appreciate that there is a market for it. That is what public radio is all about.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:21 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,543,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I had to listen to WDVE while I was having an MRI done on my knee the other day. I only recognized 3 out of 5 songs, and can only remember one, that "Come On and Dance" song by the Steve Miller Band. I think if anything had been by LZ, at least through the first four albums, I'd've recognized it.

The MRI tech was really funny. He wanted to listen to DVE. He asked me if DVE was okay. I said, how about WYEP? He said he had never heard of it (right). I told him it was the "alternative." He asked me where it was. I told him, and he told me they don't get "those public radio" stations in the MRI room, so "why don't we listen to DVE"?

Man that's awful. Yeah, "Come On and Dance" is definitely a typical DVE song if I ever heard one.

I've noticed they play sat radio at my dentist, usually The Spectrum (28).

Old 12-31-2013, 11:31 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,543,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
I used to have Sirius back in 04 and since then its gotten worse. I now listen to Pandora for music.
Have to say, I'm with Barq on this. I had Sirius for about 4 years and just renewed a bit of familiarity with it by using it a little in the rental car. (I don't pay extra for it, but this car happened to have it active.) I spent a little while listening to Sirius XMU (35) which sounded much the same as ever and just doesn't interest me as much anymore. I can't listen to First Wave (33) anymore. It got so repetitive, and it hasn't changed at all. I never had XM as a subscription but had it once in a rental pre-merger and still wish they had preserved something like XM Fred. Nothing is a substitute.

So now Pandora is my radio of choice. I've been paid up for ad-free (and extra skips!) Pandora for about 3 years now. Might also be looking into iTunes Radio as well. What I've heard at times is good but I haven't set up my own channel(s) yet and of course it does have ads unless I pay.

I don't find I want a service like Spotify where I can play anything I want. I like a radio-like experience where I don't know what's going to play next. But something like Pandora lets me tune it how I want. The Pandora experience I had on the drive yesterday was pretty good, a reasonable variety within the parameters I have given it so far and not repetitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh