Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 09:00 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
No offense though what I Like Spam posted was incorrect... Glenwood is the predominately lower class-working class white section of Hazelwood that's furthest from the projects; its the residential section west of the train tracts off of Second Avenue. It contains two parks, Blair St Park and Elizabeth St Park, and it is also a section that's truly physically close to the river...

No offense taken, and I'll take your word that current residents of the area consider the section west of the railroad tracks to be Glenwood.

But on a historic basis, and certainly when the Glen Hazel project was built, I believe that Glenwood was where I placed it.

Darlington Digital Library Maps:*DARMAP0085*DARMAP0085.TIF

This older map backs me up, as well as the fact that the Pittsburgh Railways Glenwood car barn was at 2nd Ave. and American St. and the Glenwood streetcar terminated there and didn't enter the sector you describe as Glenwood today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 09:09 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
Herodotus,

What you say is true, but what I see in Hazelwood is an alternative for first time homeowners who've been priced out of the trendier neighborhoods, but its in close proximity to the amenities that are considered desirable. Being in the Allderdice school area seems to be important and I believe Hazelwood is. Driving up Hazelwood Ave to Brownshill Rd only takes a minute and a few more minutes a person can be at the waterfront or squirrel hill. A quick drive down second ave and you're in Oakland or the Southside, and a few minutes more and you're in town. Businesses will spring up along second ave quickly when people see the opportunity. It's all about having foresight.
There's a very affordable city neighborhood which is in the Allderdice feeder, and has historically has great elementary and middle schools. It's not as convenient to downtown/Oakland as Hazelwood, but lacks any crime problems whatsoever, and it's not teribly far from Southside or the Waterfront. It's called Lincoln Place, and no one wants to live there. My wife's parents have been trying to sell her grandmother's house there for the better part of the year, and there have been no takers. Transplants just don't want to live in ugly suburban-style neighborhoods.

Quote:

First off I'll admit that Upper Manchester has a lot of potential to get gentrified, but it ain't there yet!!!
On the other hand, Lower Manchester has extended to Decature Street and it is a safe, vibrant, up and coming majority black version of the Mexican War Streets... The black middle class and a relatively small amount (but growing) white population has largely taken over streets that used to be plagued by drugs and gangs, and the non middle class population is probably more of young people and hipsters then generations of riff-raff...
IMO because of Upper Manchester's current state you cant compare Manchester with Larwanceville yet.
I dunno. As I said, I spoke with a young black man directly involved in the Manchester community group. He might have been engaging in some local boosterism, but when I asked about upper Mancherster, he specifically said it wasn't that dangerous anymore. Plus there are those new townhouses going in inbetween Manchester Field and Manchester Park, and they ain't gonna be cheap (looks like $250,000-$350,000). From our conversation it seems like the main drivers in Manchester are now a very wealthy subset of the local African American population. - People who can easilly pay $300K-$500K for a house.

Last edited by eschaton; 07-05-2012 at 09:53 AM..

Old 07-05-2012, 09:11 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Some how some way a population of kids from Hazelwood went to Dice even before the feeder, and I'm affirmitve that I'm right so I'm also very confused. Examples besides that I personally met people that lived in Hazelwood and went to Dice: that big fight in 2009 was between Hazelwood kids and kids from the East Hills Projects that attended Dice, one of Wiz Khalifa's rap associates in that "Taylor Gang" went to Dice and lived in Hazelwood, and I'm sure there's more. However it inst news to me that there were Hazelwood kids attending Brashear because they always went there before this new stuff too. I'm just confused, I'll get back to you on this, yet either these feeders are relatively east to break through or a lot of people lied about where they lived to attend a better school...
The high school feeders changed a lot when Schenley closed, so maybe this was just a 1-2 year interregnum.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:30 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There's a very affordable city neighborhood which is in the Allderdice feeder, and has historically has great elementary and middle schools. It's not as convenient to downtown/Oakland as Hazelwood, but lacks any crime problems whatsoever, and it's not teribly far from Southside or the Waterfront. It's called Lincoln Place, and no one wants to live there. My wife's parents have been trying to sell her grandmother's house there for the better part of the year, and there have been no takers. Transplants just don't want to live in ugly suburban-style neighborhoods.

I dunno. As I said, I spoke with a young black man directly involved in the Manchester community group. He might have been engaging in some local boosterism, but when I asked about upper Mancherster, he specifically said it wasn't that dangerous anymore. Plus there are those new townhouses going in inbetween Manchester Field and Manchester Park, and they ain't gonna be cheap (looks like $250,000-$350,000. From our conversation it seems like the main drivers in Manchester are now a very wealthy subset of the local African American population. - People who can easilly put $300K-$500K down for a new house.
My wife's parents live in Lincoln Place too. I think the real problem is that he houses are too small by today's suburban standards. It feeds to Mifflin and not Minedeo. Big difference. Back in the day, you could go to the Catholic School in Munhall for free when the mills were booming. Also, Lincoln Place is not convenient to anything other than the Waterfront and West Mifflin.

Have you seen the new construction called Casa Bill? Big suburban houses in the city.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:33 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
[quote]The high school feeders changed a lot when Schenley closed, so maybe this was just a 1-2 year interregnum.[quote]

Okay that makes sense...

And for our other conversation- people view safety differently, as it is a relative thing... I do understand that Upper Manchester is more quiet and has very few shootings/shots fired these days and that there hasn't been a homicide since there since 2009, yet the area is still claimed by the Original Gangstaz... The key to people feeling safe I guess is that even though its a gang neighborhood there's not that much action these days.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:42 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
I could claim to be the Emperor of the Universe, but that doesn't mean I am actually able to enforce my will on it.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:41 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,277 times
Hazelwood was fed into Brashear when it opened in the fall of 1976. Prior to that, Hazelwood kids went to Gladstone High School, which still stands on Hazelwood Avenue. Busing created a lot of crazy feeder patterns, such as kids from Beltzhoover not going to Brashear, which is half a mile away. I'm sure the feeder patterns have been altered many times with all of the school closings.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:50 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
What about Mount Oliver? I haven't been through there in a couple of years but it has a pretty impressive business district and it is close to the South Side.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:28 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
Brownsville Road, Mt. Oliver Boro & Carrick are all going through a serious decline in safety and blight. They will likely decline into the state of "rock bottom" before they have a shot at gentrifying IMO...

Old 07-05-2012, 01:02 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,496 times
Quote:
Some how some way a population of kids from Hazelwood went to Dice even before the feeder, and I'm affirmitve that I'm right so I'm also very confused. Examples besides that I personally met people that lived in Hazelwood and went to Dice: that big fight in 2009 was between Hazelwood kids and kids from the East Hills Projects that attended Dice, one of Wiz Khalifa's rap associates in that "Taylor Gang" went to Dice and lived in Hazelwood, and I'm sure there's more. However it inst news to me that there were Hazelwood kids attending Brashear because they always went there before this new stuff too. I'm just confused, I'll get back to you on this, yet either these feeders are relatively east to break through or a lot of people lied about where they lived to attend a better school...
Maybe they got in because of certain qualifications like a sports team. I know people who went to dice because they played a particular sport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh