Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 10:42 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,439 times

Advertisements

h_curtis,

If I remember correctly, Andy Warhol Lived down the run with his family for about 4 years. I got the information somewhere off the internet.

Here's another place for you to research. The place is Fort Black. Fort Black was located in Greenfield off of Bigelow St. We use to play there when I was a kid. I believe it was an artillery emplacement during to civil war. Its purpose was to monitor river traffic on the Monongahela. I think Hammer Field is located in its general vicinity.

Did you know Schenley Oval was once a race track? They use to rent horses up there until the stables burned down.

Last edited by eccotecc; 07-04-2012 at 10:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 11:01 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,439 times
I need to correct the previous post. Andy Warhol was baptized in the eastern orthodox church located down the run.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:37 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
Big Jims is on the other side of the hollow, across the soccer fields, etc. It is in "the run" more or less under 376.

There was a very makeshift bike shop in that little hollow about 10-15 years ago.

Agreed. Big Jim's is in in the Run unless the changed the name of the neighborhood recently. Family grew up in the Greenfield in the 1940's-1960's and they still call it the Run.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:53 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,425 times
Interesting Wiki article about a late 19th century riot between Irish and Italian laborers that occured in the Run: Pittsburgh Riot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the other side, which is sometimes referred to as Panther Hollow (where the parking meters and park benches are painted red, white, and green) there is this cool sign, marking the distance to Pizzoferrato and Gamberale. Apparently those are the cities from which most of the original immigrants came.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:02 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
Interesting Wiki article about a late 19th century riot between Irish and Italian laborers that occured in the Run: Pittsburgh Riot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the other side, which is sometimes referred to as Panther Hollow (where the parking meters and park benches are painted red, white, and green) there is this cool sign, marking the distance to Pizzoferrato and Gamberale. Apparently those are the cities from which most of the original immigrants came.
How is it possible that I have NEVER seen that sign? I have been by there countless times. Cool. That little area sure is an interesting one. I'll bet there is no crime down there. Looks like one of those places that you can't sneeze without a neighbor saying, "bless you". I rarely see people outside there, but it is pretty well kept. Quite a hill if you are wanting to get up to Oakland's downtown or Pitt. I don't think you would get many drunk students ever walking down that hill. It is an interesting ride on my bike out of there when I am on my fixed. Thanks for sharing that sign.

Are there any other little spots people can think of that might be... well sort of isolated, yet pretty close or in the city? That Duck Hollow is a good one.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:06 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,255,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post

Pizzoferrato is the birthplace of wrestling champion Bruno Sammartino, who wasn't one of the original immigrants- he arrived after WWII.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
How is it possible that I have NEVER seen that sign? I have been by there countless times. Cool. That little area sure is an interesting one. I'll bet there is no crime down there. Looks like one of those places that you can't sneeze without a neighbor saying, "bless you". I rarely see people outside there, but it is pretty well kept. Quite a hill if you are wanting to get up to Oakland's downtown or Pitt. I don't think you would get many drunk students ever walking down that hill. It is an interesting ride on my bike out of there when I am on my fixed. Thanks for sharing that sign.

Are there any other little spots people can think of that might be... well sort of isolated, yet pretty close or in the city? That Duck Hollow is a good one.
It's a cool little area and is pretty well maintained. You can walk down Diulius Way (which is a stairway) to the bottom.

I think it's mostly families down there, possibly some old school Italians, but it's also home to some Pitt students.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:27 AM

110 posts, read 152,844 times
Just a quick word on Big Jim's, I've never been there but saw it on a episode of diner's drive-ins and dives and it looked like a great place to eat but I can't imagine living down there but there is a lot close by.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy53 View Post
Just a quick word on Big Jim's, I've never been there but saw it on a episode of diner's drive-ins and dives and it looked like a great place to eat but I can't imagine living down there but there is a lot close by.
I've been there a bunch of times. The food is pretty good, sandwiches and such, and they actually make good wedding soup. Their open faced turkey and roast beef sandwiches are awesome.

Across the street there is a bar across the street called Chasers. It's an incredible dive, but they have good wings.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:33 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,799,367 times
That area under the Parkway is the Saline St. Valley. It was badly compromised by the construction of the Parkway. Stefan Lorant talks about it in his book on Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh