Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 01:40 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times

Advertisements

Someone mentioned "Big Jim's" 201 Saline Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15207. If you ride your bike up through Panther Hollow there is a little place where a few homes are places on Boundary Street and then further up on Juno and again another section of Boundary Street. These little areas seem sort of "yinzerish", but I see someone painted Italian colors on the benches in that upper part next to a tiny park, which is probably part of Oakland. I don't know what homes sell for in those areas, but if you don't mind hills, they might be okay. If you are going to and from the city of Pittsburgh, it isn't that hilly at all and you are using trails.

I was wondering if anyone knew about these places and if there are other little pockets that have good cycle access that are.. well never talked about? I mean, Big Jim's? Not many people know about that joint I suspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 02:43 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,578,949 times
Duck Hollow, also on the Mon below Summerset at Frick, across from parts of the waterfront.

You can also get there from Hazelwood. You have to carry your bike across 4 sets of train tracks, but the trail goes on the north side of the mon for a few miles. Some people fish down there.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:03 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,943 times
h_curtis,

The area you're referring to is the original little Italy. It is adjacent to Panther Hollow and used to be behind the old Forbes Field. It has been lost to all the development by Pitt but the hangers on still take pride in their aging community or what's left of it. I believe that's why the benches were painted the colors of the Italian flag.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:05 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,578,949 times
Big Jims is on the other side of the hollow, across the soccer fields, etc. It is in "the run" more or less under 376.

There was a very makeshift bike shop in that little hollow about 10-15 years ago.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
h_curtis,

The area you're referring to is the original little Italy. It is adjacent to Panther Hollow and used to be behind the old Forbes Field. It has been lost to all the development by Pitt but the hangers on still take pride in their aging community or what's left of it. I believe that's why the benches were painted the colors of the Italian flag.
You do know that little park way down where the Hollow lets out if going up hill? It is kind of cool there.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:14 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,943 times
h_curtis,

For a period of time, Andy Warhol lived down the run. The run was never really considered part of Greenfield. It was just referred to as the run. I never knew why certain areas were called runs but there seems to be more than a few in the area. I guess it goes back to colonial days or whiskey running days.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:27 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
I never knew why certain areas were called runs but there seems to be more than a few in the area.
"Run" was a term for stream in this region. There was a local convention of naming them after the distance from the Point--so, Nine Mile Run is up at Duck Hollow, and the area in question is Four Mile Run (the stream is now buried underground):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Mile_Run_(Pittsburgh)

Old 07-04-2012, 03:34 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,622 times
Funny, I just biked past Big Jim's today, up Panther Hollow, then cut through to Schenley Park. I was always fascinated by this little old neighborhood. This "run" (I think a street sign said Four Mile Run?) floods like heck though. I remember seeing it on the news a year or two ago and water was halfway up the walls of Big Jim's.

And last Saturday, I ran through Duck Hollow, then back up Nine Mile Trail to Frick Park. Nothing beats seeing Pittsburgh by bike or on foot! Speaking of fascinating neighborhoods, Duck Hollow is one for sure. It's totally secluded, and consists of only about 3 streets. You have to cross over a strange metal bridge attached to the railroad tracks to get there.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
And last Saturday, I ran through Duck Hollow, then back up Nine Mile Trail to Frick Park. Nothing beats seeing Pittsburgh by bike or on foot! Speaking of fascinating neighborhoods, Duck Hollow is one for sure. It's totally secluded, and consists of only about 3 streets. You have to cross over a strange metal bridge attached to the railroad tracks to get there.
Please tell me about Duck Hollow. I have never even been there. I looked on Google Street View and it looked pretty cool. Is it safe? Type of area? Progressive, or yinzer or??? Not a bad location. Duck Hollow seems to be another great example. Thanks! Keep them coming.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:04 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Please tell me about Duck Hollow. I have never even been there. I looked on Google Street View and it looked pretty cool. Is it safe? Type of area? Progressive, or yinzer or??? Not a bad location. Duck Hollow seems to be another great example. Thanks! Keep them coming.
I only jogged through it once, I really know nothing of the people there. It's probably safe, it's so isolated there's no reason to even go down there unless you live there, or you want to park at the lot to fish or use the trail.

But due to it's isolation, I can picture a resident that lived there for 50 years that has never crossed the river to visit the Waterfront.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh