Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 06:38 AM

37 posts, read 46,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
You're probably right. I just got frustrated because I'm waiting to bike the whole thing until the entire thing is complete, and I keep seeing them mention that it will finally be complete on some date in the near future, and I get all excited that they finally figured out a way to finance the Mon Wharf Switchback and Point Connector sections, only to find out that they didn't. So, more likely, it's just me.
As is often the case, the construction of the ramp at the Smithfield Street Bridge is complicated. However, it is planned, the engineering is done, and it will be completed but no specific date is set.

There is an alternate route that will be marked and some improvements have been done. The alternate route is from the area around the city end of the Smithfield Street Bridge onto Fort Pitt Blvd to Commonwealth Place an across to the entrance to Point St Park and on to the fountain and the Forks of the Ohio. As I noted, the route will be marked and I believe, but not sure at this time, that a there will be a bike lane on Fort Pitt Blvd.

It hasn't been uncommon that the Great Allegheny Passage route has been on alternate paths for awhile before the final alignment is set. In Cumberland, MD there is a route with crosses Valley Street which is off the original Western Maryland Railway. Recently the trail group in that area secured an agreement that finally secured the old railway right-of-way and the trail will go under Valley Street eliminating a dangerous road crossing. At Garrett, PA the old route was blocked. Two year ago the Somerset Rails to Trails Association raised funds to build an underpass. That was done and the trail was taken off a short section of highway and along a short dirt road.

In McKeesport the trail uses some local streets and in one place a sidewalk along Lysle Blvd. That segment along Lysle Blvd is being realigned and the new route will open this year.

Keep in mind, the Great Allegheny Passage is a coalition of 7 trail groups. Each individual local group decides on the alignment of the trail in their area. From the groups between Cumberland, MD and Boston, PA its easy since the trail is on the old railroads and there is only one alignment to follow. Once past Boston the trail is no longer following a specific railroad so there may be alternatives.

From Homestead into Pittsburgh there is a choice when you reach the Hot Metal Bridge. The GAP could either be across the Hot Metal, onto the Eliza Furnace and into the point. Or, it could follow the Southside Trail, cross the Smithfield St bridge and onto the point. That decision to route the designated GAP is up to the local group.

Never the less, the final destination of the GAP is the Forks of the Ohio in Point St Park. Yes, the Smithfield St. ramp to the wharf is missing right now, but the link through Sandcastle and Keystone Metals was a much more difficult set of negotiations, planning, engineering, and fund raising and to have that completed is a very significant achievement and thus deserves a celebration.

As far as the Point up the Allegheny River, that's in the planning stage. There is lots of trail built along the upper segments of the Allegheny River. The challenge is getting the trail from Freeport, PA to the Point. This is always the most difficult part since it's through industrial and developed communities with active rail lines and where old abandoned rail lines have been obliterated. It won't be in place next year, or the year after, but it will happen sooner or later.

paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 11:50 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiegman View Post
From Homestead into Pittsburgh there is a choice when you reach the Hot Metal Bridge. The GAP could either be across the Hot Metal, onto the Eliza Furnace and into the point. Or, it could follow the Southside Trail, cross the Smithfield St bridge and onto the point. That decision to route the designated GAP is up to the local group.
l
I really hope they choose to designate the GAP as the Southside to Smithfield St Bridge route. It would be a much nicer "welcome to Pittsburgh" for out of town riders. The Eliza Furnace Trail is basically jammed under the Parkway and is not the most scenic of rides, to say the least.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:59 AM

Filling the gaps in the GAP continues and is on schedule.

Much of the preliminary infrastructure work is done on the Sandcastle section and they are getting ready to do the necessary paving. After the route is paved fence will be erected along both sides of the trail from the east gate near Costco to Haysglen Street under the Glenwood Bridge.

At Keystone Metals all of the steel uprights are in place, the footers have been poured, and some of the pre-cast panels are in place at the west end. More planels are being placed today and more early next week. Where the trail will be has been graded and the base layers will be put in place soon.

The schedule of completion of the Sandcastle segment is mid-April and the Keystone segment a couple weeks later. Once the contractors are finished and off site the trail will open to public use.

The grande opening will be held June 15th with a ribbon cutting at Sandcastle @9:00, a mass ride into the city, and a ceremony @ 1:00 on the Great Lawn in Point State Park. There will be a marker for the end of the Great Allegheny Passage put in place at the point.

pgw

Old 04-05-2013, 05:13 AM

482 posts, read 1,234,296 times
Thanks for the update... my plan for this summer is to get dropped off at Ohiopyle and ride back home to Pittsburgh. It's gonna be a fun one with a more complete trail now

Old 04-05-2013, 07:00 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:

Much of the preliminary infrastructure work is done on the Sandcastle section and they are getting ready to do the necessary paving. After the route is paved fence will be erected along both sides of the trail from the east gate near Costco to Haysglen Street under the Glenwood Bridge.

At Keystone Metals all of the steel uprights are in place, the footers have been poured, and some of the pre-cast panels are in place at the west end. More planels are being placed today and more early next week. Where the trail will be has been graded and the base layers will be put in place soon.

The schedule of completion of the Sandcastle segment is mid-April and the Keystone segment a couple weeks later. Once the contractors are finished and off site the trail will open to public use.

The grande opening will be held June 15th with a ribbon cutting at Sandcastle @9:00, a mass ride into the city, and a ceremony @ 1:00 on the Great Lawn in Point State Park. There will be a marker for the end of the Great Allegheny Passage put in place at the point.

pgw
Wow, that is great news! Thank you for updating us. Can't wait to take a nice long ride down that trail.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:27 AM

733 posts, read 987,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
I really hope they choose to designate the GAP as the Southside to Smithfield St Bridge route. It would be a much nicer "welcome to Pittsburgh" for out of town riders. The Eliza Furnace Trail is basically jammed under the Parkway and is not the most scenic of rides, to say the least.
I love how the Eliza trail ends up sandwiching you between the two highways, but, yeah, I think the Southside trail gives you a better view of the city. Plus, the Smithfield bridge is a cooler entrypoint to downtown. I think they'll choose that route.

Quote:

pgw
Thanks for the good posts! I'm thinking of checking out the ceremony.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:15 AM

Construction on the new trail is nearly complete. Crews are working on daily and it's hoped to be open very soon. Once the contractor gives the OK the trail will be open to the public.

The celebration of the finished trail and the final link in the Great Allegheny Passage will be June 15th. The ATA wanted to wait until the fountain at Point State Park was completed and dedicated before celebrating the completion of the Passage. The fountain will be dedicated the week before the GAP.

The temporary route from the end of the Eliza Furnace Trail to the Point will be Fort Pitt Blvd. The return from the Point to the Eliza Furnace will be Blvd of the Allies. That return route is best walked during busy times. Plans for the switchback ramp from Smithfield Street to the Mon Wharf and the expansion of the walkway from the Wharf to Point State Park are in the works and money is available. Building those facilities won't be this year but they could be in place in 2014. Things are looking good for that project.

In McKeesport the trail is being rerouted from the Lysle Blvd sidewalk to a small street behind the Municipal Bldg and the Daily News. This is being paved and will be ready soon.

pgw

Old 05-15-2013, 06:54 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,309 times
I appreciate the updates, pwiegman.

I have the week of Memorial Day off and plan on spending a lot of it on bike, do you think the trail section through Sandcastle will be open to the public by then?

Old 05-16-2013, 05:13 AM

The trail through Sandcastle will be open for the Memorial Day weekend.

It's all asphalt beginning at the west side of Costco, crossing Sandcastle Drive, and running between the Sandcastle facilities and the railroad for over 3000 feet to Haysglenn Street. It crosses that street and then skirts the Keystone Metals property and joins the existing Baldwin Trail.

pgw

Old 05-16-2013, 01:53 PM

The Sandcastle/Keystone Trail is now open to the public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh