Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2012, 10:09 AM

4 posts, read 4,441 times

Advertisements

Hi, all:
We will move from Seattle to Pittsburgh this September and need some suggestions and help from you. We are looking for a temporary place to stay for a month while looking for a more permanent place during that period of time. We found a couple of temp places from Craigslist, but since we are not familiar with the Pitt area, I wonder if any of you can give us some suggestions about these places in terms of safety.

One is on Phillips Ave between Shady Ave and Murray Ave
One is on Thomas Blvd between Fifth Ave and N. Dallas Ave.
I believe both are close to Point Breeze North,maybe on the border of Shadyside, south of Larimer? I read the crime map of Pittsburgh, it seemed to me Larimer was very very bad ?

We are also looking for short-lease apartment or home to rent type of thing, but it seems that our options are limited. We have a budget of <1k for rent since we will have one income when we arrive at Pitt. Commute will not be a problem for the time being since my husband can telecommute, but I will probably find some job around Pitt city. I won't mind taking public transportation or drive for 45 minute commute, but want to find a safe place first.

Can someone give us some suggestions where to look for places?

S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 10:38 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,331 times
Phillips is the better location. It's a great looking street made of brick and is easy walking distance to lots of retail. Unless you are right at Murray, it's quiet too.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:36 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Philips Ave is in Squirrel Hill, and it's the better of the two locations. Great for buses, too (though I know nothing about the busworthiness of the other location).

Old 07-05-2012, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! To add to what I posted before, we don't have kids and do not care about night life such as going to bars etc. While I was browsing the forum, I noticed that one member suggested to find an agent for renting as well. Do you think it is worth doing? We plan to buy a house sometime next year once we are familiar with the area. We don't have kids, so school district won't be a big concern. We do want to adopt a dog though . Of course, first thing is to find a temp rental to get our feet wet!

Old 07-05-2012, 02:07 PM

524 posts, read 1,036,545 times
For temporary rentals, try airbnb.com (I have no affiliation with them, but have used their services and think it's great).

Old 07-05-2012, 02:23 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shephard55 View Post
Hi, all:
We will move from Seattle to Pittsburgh this September and need some suggestions and help from you. We are looking for a temporary place to stay for a month while looking for a more permanent place during that period of time. We found a couple of temp places from Craigslist, but since we are not familiar with the Pitt area, I wonder if any of you can give us some suggestions about these places in terms of safety.

One is on Phillips Ave between Shady Ave and Murray Ave
One is on Thomas Blvd between Fifth Ave and N. Dallas Ave.
I believe both are close to Point Breeze North,maybe on the border of Shadyside, south of Larimer? I read the crime map of Pittsburgh, it seemed to me Larimer was very very bad ?

We are also looking for short-lease apartment or home to rent type of thing, but it seems that our options are limited. We have a budget of <1k for rent since we will have one income when we arrive at Pitt. Commute will not be a problem for the time being since my husband can telecommute, but I will probably find some job around Pitt city. I won't mind taking public transportation or drive for 45 minute commute, but want to find a safe place first.

Can someone give us some suggestions where to look for places?

S
All of these areas are relatively safe areas. Because of Pittsburgh's topography, crime tends not to spread easily, and most crime from Larimer will stay there.

For long term, what else would you be looking for besides safety? Urban/more suburban, schools, parks, etc?

Old 07-05-2012, 02:34 PM

Hi, onwardandupward:
Thanks for the link! It was very helpful and the price is much better than what we saw from Apt listings in terms of temp housing. I just found one which is on Fleming Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15212, is that a safe area? Thanks again for the link!

Old 07-05-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
All of these areas are relatively safe areas. Because of Pittsburgh's topography, crime tends not to spread easily, and most crime from Larimer will stay there.

For long term, what else would you be looking for besides safety? Urban/more suburban, schools, parks, etc?
For long term, we lean towards more suburban but not rural area. We don't want a big house, probably 3 bd/2ba is enough, but we love dogs, so a decent sized yard will be awesome and dog friendly neighborhood as well. School system is not a big concern since we do not have kids. We like to visit some artisan bakeries/pastries, coffee shops etc. We love outdoor activities such as hiking and camping. It would be great if we can find some groups with similar interests From what I read from the forum, it seemed that north of pittsburgh is recommended. So is cranberry township or Mars a good starting point? Thanks for your input!

Old 07-05-2012, 05:48 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shephard55 View Post
Hi, onwardandupward:
Thanks for the link! It was very helpful and the price is much better than what we saw from Apt listings in terms of temp housing. I just found one which is on Fleming Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15212, is that a safe area? Thanks again for the link!

Fleming Avenue is in Brighton Heights, and that isn't that bad at all. Brighton Heights is cool, particularly above Davis Ave. A lot of city police officers live out that way.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,150 times
Hi- Yes, the 15212 area code is generally safe with defined blocks to avoid (just like in Seattle). We moved here looking for temp housing and choose the Allegheny Center. It is walking distance downtown, has buses and a beautiful park next door. It is under your budget and you can choose a lease or month to month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh