Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 02:26 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Nope, a reduction in Nordenberg's salary would be for starters and go from there. We are out of our minds paying that crap for that idiot. Let him go to a different school.
Again, what are you talking about?

Also, given the level of state funding to Pitt, you may in fact be out of your mind but you (or the taxpayers writ large) aren't paying much of his salary at all.

Back of the envelope suggests half a cent per Pennsylvanian per year, if you don't assume that the state dollars are earmarked elsewhere, which they are.

Last edited by Lobick; 07-13-2012 at 02:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 02:27 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
That's because Pitt and Penn State are near the bottom in state support. They get less than 10% of the budget from the state and it goes to reducing in-state tuition. Other states contribute a higher percentage so then obviously their tuition would be less.
You pay one way or the other. The tuition is higher because the state support is lower. The converse seems to be the local housing market, where prices are lower than in many other parts of the country, but the taxes are higher.

Don't quite see why h_curtis is so cranky about it - is he personally confronted with a Pitt tuition bill?

Old 07-13-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Don't quite see why h_curtis is so cranky about it - is he personally confronted with a Pitt tuition bill?
I don't think so. My guess is that he either didn't get in, got beat up by football players for running his mouth or his girlfriend dumped him for a Pitt student.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:36 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
You pay one way or the other. The tuition is higher because the state support is lower. The converse seems to be the local housing market, where prices are lower than in many other parts of the country, but the taxes are higher.

This is all a function of the banks and greed. They are in cahoots with the colleges now and are looking for kids being in debt. Can't you folks see that? Come on! I know better than to deal with banks and deal with them as little as possible. I give them what they want up front and they probably hope I can't pay in 6 months or whatever. I do pay. Sadly most can't. I see what they are all doing. This Nordenburg and the others. I have no idea what you people think is really going on? You better watch this more closely. That guy IMHO is a total crook!

Old 07-13-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
This is all a function of the banks and greed. They are in cahoots with the colleges now and are looking for kids being in debt. Can't you folks see that? Come on! I know better than to deal with banks and deal with them as little as possible. I give them what they want up front and they probably hope I can't pay in 6 months or whatever. I do pay. Sadly most can't. I see what they are all doing. This Nordenburg and the others. I have no idea what you people think is really going on? You better watch this more closely. That guy IMHO is a total crook!
The Chancellor of the University of Pittsburgh is responsible for the modern system of banks and credit? I didn't give him enough credit.

BTW, who is the "them" and the "they" that you speak of, these conspirators? Seems like you might be using code words again, intentionally or not.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:52 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
The Chancellor of the University of Pittsburgh is responsible for the modern system of banks and credit? I didn't give him enough credit.

BTW, who is the "them" and the "they" that you speak of, these conspirators? Seems like you might be using code words again, intentionally or not.
I think the conspirators Curt is referring to are the Jews. The Chancellor's name is NordenBERG, after all.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:55 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,514 times
Quote:
Nope, a reduction in Nordenberg's salary would be for starters and go from there. We are out of our minds paying that crap for that idiot. Let him go to a different school.
You're not really making any sense here. He could work for free and it wouldn't make a difference in student's tuition. He make $561,000 a year and there are 28,766 undergraduates. So if he forgave his whole salary and donated it to tuition, it would save $19.50 per student per year. You can make a good argument that he probably shouldn't make that much money for running a public institution but if you think that's the cause of tuition hikes, maybe you should invest in math class for yourself.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:38 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
You're not really making any sense here. He could work for free and it wouldn't make a difference in student's tuition. He make $561,000 a year and there are 28,766 undergraduates. So if he forgave his whole salary and donated it to tuition, it would save $19.50 per student per year. You can make a good argument that he probably shouldn't make that much money for running a public institution but if you think that's the cause of tuition hikes, maybe you should invest in math class for yourself.
Keep defending those salaries and all his connections and tell me, "I don't make sense". Yep, you are really a genius. It is a good conversation around our dinner table though. Please post more, so we can really have fun at dinner. Please, keep it up. Yep he is only one person making some ridiculous salary. Then he has his buddies also making... guess what? Ridiculous salaries. Please. Oh, I have a bridge to no where to sell you in the middle of Texas as it becomes a total dust bowl. Lots of pickup trucks down there you can toll to cross some sand. You will be rich. Want to buy it?

Old 07-13-2012, 04:19 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
I'm pretty sure that he was talking about the banks every time he used a third person plural pronoun in that post. I don't know if he thinks that Nordenberg is actively conspiring with the banks, but nonetheless he is benefiting from their practices (at least under hCurtis' premise, but probably in reality too).

Old 07-13-2012, 04:32 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
It truly is the case that so long as students have easy access to $ to pay ever rising tuition that said tuition will continue to rise. The only thing they will halt this is unfortunately be a decrease in demand/consumers (students) able to pay for their product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh