Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 11:52 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

Wonder if the idea will either be you are rich and can go to college, or you are poor or middle class and you can graduate with a pile of debt. I think they need to get rid of the super cheap college loans. Look at the outcome! Years ago you could actually work your way through school and graduate with no debt. Try that today!

University of Pittsburgh hikes tuition 2.8 percent | www.wpxi.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 11:54 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Two words: trade school.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:57 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
THe tuition is being raised at the rate of inflation. In addition, the university is working at cutting its costs, including the elimination of graduate programs in German, Classics and Religious Studies.
How Pitt Has Cut Costs | Keep Pitt Public | University of Pittsburgh

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2...three-programs

Old 07-13-2012, 12:06 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Wonder if the idea will either be you are rich and can go to college, or you are poor or middle class and you can graduate with a pile of debt. I think they need to get rid of the super cheap college loans. Look at the outcome! Years ago you could actually work your way through school and graduate with no debt. Try that today!

University of Pittsburgh hikes tuition 2.8 percent | www.wpxi.com
It's essentially an inflation-related increase.

The broader point that your addressing, unrelated of course to this year's increase, is indeed a problem. Of course, it used to be that only the rich went to college, but that's an aside. Cheap college loans may play a role along with declining levels of public support for higher education. My sense is that you don't want more public dollars going to "nominally" public universities though so it's at least, in part, attitudes like yours that contribute to higher tuition costs.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:09 PM

510 posts, read 905,242 times
Pitt is unlikely to remain public for long.
I think more students wil have to go to community college for a year or two, then transfer.
This is a nation-wide issue, not just specific to Pitt. Gnutella has the right idea about trade school!

Old 07-13-2012, 12:13 PM

111 posts, read 131,705 times
Oh man, don't even get me started on universities and tuition. It amazed me how when I graduated 2 years ago of the numerous interviews I went on I believe one, maybe two, people asked me about my schooling. And trying to ask Sallie Mae to work with me on the payments resulted in no help whatsoever. In fact, if I am a day late on payment, they start calling. Argh, I should stop now lol. I'm resigned to the fact I will be paying on my loans for a good portion of my life.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:20 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,312 times
I like the idea of "underwriting" student loans, whereby those who select majors that have a reasonable possiblity of return on investment will be given the opportunity for a loan via an application process, and each year they would need to demonstrate via transcripts that they are continuing on this path. Additionally we could offer loan or grant programs for students who very much excel, and when I say excel I mean EXCEL, in liberal arts without hard career prospects.

Enough of this $80k in federally-subsidized loans for C students in communications who are not actively pursuing careers.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:43 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Wonder if the idea will either be you are rich and can go to college, or you are poor or middle class and you can graduate with a pile of debt.
What's left to wonder? That's already the case.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:45 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Here's another idea: if you already live close to the school you're going to, live at home and save $6,000+ a school year. If people who didn't go to college are doing fine as adults without having the "college experience" so can kids in college today.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:48 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Enough of this $80k in federally-subsidized loans for C students in communications who are not actively pursuing careers.
Nobody is getting that much in federally subsidized loans. If you *MAX* out on both stafford and perkins (not common) then you could reach a 4 year limit of $41,000 in subsidized loans. Most student loan debt is federally backed, not federally subsidized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh