Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 07:08 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
The biggest problem with Penn State is that they believed Joe deserved the halo in the first place. The "deprogramming" of State College will take a while.
Glad I'm not alone in thinking that depicting a human with a halo in a mural is already strange in and of itself, no matter how good of a football coach they are. Even without the knowledge he's an abuse enabler, that just strikes me as really creepy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 07:10 PM

429 posts, read 654,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
First, I've never went to PSU. I'm better than that.

Typical republican who loves to Golf. I remember being a Caddy at Oakmont.........................................

Last edited by SPSGuy; 07-15-2012 at 07:23 PM..

Old 07-15-2012, 07:14 PM

429 posts, read 654,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Glad I'm not alone in thinking that depicting a human with a halo in a mural is already strange in and of itself, no matter how good of a football coach they are. Even without the knowledge he's an abuse enabler, that just strikes me as really creepy.
Agreed. This was one thing I hated about PSU when I went there. After living in Pittsburgh afterwards I always felt Pitt would have been a better school for me Pitt had less of this mass conformity football culture society stuck in the middle of a rural place called "Happy Valley", providing more to do culturally, and most of all; escape from the school itself. It was difficult for a non-school spirited kid who just wanted his degree and leave, and never cared about football.

Now with the hallo thing. Joe to Penn Staters stood as a man who provided character building, was flawless, donated to the University, and provided every student to grow and be a better person through life. He was Penn State, and was a character that had no flaws or sin. Everybody respected him, and to find out this man wasn't so perfect is hard for many with this level of faith in this man. This really is like Christians finding out Jesus wasn't the son of God or some other religious comparison. It is sad, I know, but how it was up there.

Teaching some Alumni and some locals who never went to PSU that Joe wasn't such the man they thought he was really is comparable to religious beliefs where no matter what faith and beliefs win out over logic and rational thought.

Last edited by SPSGuy; 07-15-2012 at 07:23 PM..

Old 07-15-2012, 07:26 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If the NCAA can sanction lowly Cal Tech (lowly on the sports scene that is) for this:

Caltech admits shortcomings, accepts sanctions - Pasadena Sun

they can find something to sanction Penn State for.

While I don't disagree with the potential for PSU to be held accountable by the NCAA, I also think that its kind of missing the bigger picture here.

I've witnessed a lot of people (not you, but others) who bring up that possibility because they are mainly interested in seeing PSU football destroyed. IMHO that is on par with the PSU fans who are more interested in preserving Paterno's legacy than showing any concern for the children who were harmed. It exhibits a total lack of justifiable priority.

I think they should keep that statue of Paterno up outside of the stadium, but with one small alteration. There needs to be mention of this overshadowing part of his legacy. Penn State as a community needs to rebel against the cult like mentality that has allowed this to occur, and make the institution as well as that program an ongoing lesson for what happens when good men make terrible decisions in their own selfish interest. This is not merely part of Paterno's legacy, but of Penn State's as well. The only way they live that down is to take action to insure that it never happens again.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:34 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSGuy View Post
Agreed. This was one thing I hated about PSU when I went there. After living in Pittsburgh afterwards I always felt Pitt would have been a better school for me Pitt had less of this mass conformity football culture society stuck in the middle of a rural place called "Happy Valley", providing more to do culturally, and most of all; escape from the school itself. It was difficult for a non-school spirited kid who just wanted his degree and leave, and never cared about football.

Now with the hallo thing. Joe to Penn Staters stood as a man who provided character building, was flawless, donated to the University, and provided every student to grow and be a better person through life. He was Penn State, and was a character that had no flaws or sin. Everybody respected him, and to find out this man wasn't so perfect is hard for many with this level of faith in this man. This really is like Christians finding out Jesus wasn't the son of God or some other religious comparison. It is sad, I know, but how it was up there.

Teaching some Alumni and some locals who never went to PSU that Joe wasn't such the man they thought he was really is comparable to religious beliefs where no matter what faith and beliefs win out over logic and rational thought.
How...creepy. Sounds borderline cultish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
While I don't disagree with the potential for PSU to be held accountable by the NCAA, I also think that its kind of missing the bigger picture here.

I've witnessed a lot of people (not you, but others) who bring up that possibility because they are mainly interested in seeing PSU football destroyed. IMHO that is on par with the PSU fans who are more interested in preserving Paterno's legacy than showing any concern for the children who were harmed. It exhibits a total lack of justifiable priority.

I think they should keep that statue of Paterno up outside of the stadium, but with one small alteration. There needs to be mention of this overshadowing part of his legacy. Penn State as a community needs to rebel against the cult like mentality that has allowed this to occur, and make the institution as well as that program an ongoing lesson for what happens when good men make terrible decisions in their own selfish interest. This is not merely part of Paterno's legacy, but of Penn State's as well. The only way they live that down is to take action to insure that it never happens again.
I think this is a great idea. If the statue is going to stay, it should stay with the whole story included.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:38 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
PSU shouldn't have to be strong-armed into taking down the statute, and quite honestly, they should be free to decide for themselves if that's the course of action they want to take. If they choose to leave it up, they'll only be further hurting their own brand name.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:09 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
First, I've never went to PSU. I'm better than that.

I have never went to PSU.

What college you go to? n'at?

To the OP, give the football team a death sentence. JoPa knew what was going on and did nothing.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:41 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,737 times
Quote:
Joe reported it to the AD and the clown that ran campus police. He did his job. He notified others higher up and got out of the way. Does anyone really believe that Mack Brown or Urban Meyer would have personally lead the investigation? Give me a break! But, someone at PSU has to take the fall for this. Might as well be a famous dead guy. Besides, nobody really cares what happens to the AD, Spanier, or anyone else. They aren't famous like Joe was, therefore they don't make news interesting. Even the victims spoke out against Joe being fired, yet you rarely hear about that. The people that really matter know what type of person Joe was and know that he didn't run a shady team. Anyone else is just getting off on the fact that people are focusing on PSU and not their own school's disgusting behavior. What's Pitt's graduation rate in football and basketball? What about WVU or Ohio State? You don't want to know.

^^ someone been asleep since thursday when the facts came out, proving joe was pretty much the mastermind of the entire coverup?

Old 07-16-2012, 06:19 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
I've always loved people lose their mind over scandals surrounding their beloved football heroes, be it a guy that throws a ball or a guy who coaches a guy who throws a ball. Ah football, one thing that never stops people from going full retard.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:21 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post

To the OP, give the football team a death sentence. JoPa knew what was going on and did nothing.
I haven't been following this much, but as an outsider looking in, aren't they just looking for a scapegoat to save the higher ups butts? Choosing a dead man for a scapegoat is pretty convenient. What did Paterno actually witness? Showering in a big shower gym with 20 shower heads in a big room means what? I haven't been following this mess, but from an outsider looking in, it seems to be they are going after a dead guy to save themselves. I don't think Paterno witnessed anything wildly out of the ordinary, but maybe he did. If he reported it to his bosses AND police, what do you want him to do, get a gun and shot the guy? I just think people should watch those superiors and what THEY are trying to accomplish and not focus so much on Joe Paterno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh