Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 03:52 PM

7 posts, read 8,358 times

Advertisements

I don't know if it's just me, but seems like every time i turn on the news someone else is getting shot. Do anyone else feel that Pittsburgh crime is getting a little out of hand lately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 04:03 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times
It has always been like that in the summer. All the same areas and usually the same age group. Nothing new, just life in a small city with lots of poverty.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:13 PM

748 posts, read 820,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
It has always been like that in the summer. All the same areas and usually the same age group. Nothing new, just life in a small city with lots of poverty.
Yes that's it. I'm seeing solid blue collar low crime neighborhoods really start to dwindle. Drugs usage is also on upswing, in particular heroin. It's at the highest ever in Allegheny county. It's starting to become a real problem, but people are mostly silent about it. Just go to Carson St, Murray Ave, or a bunch of other areas and see all the addicts. Or your neighborhood detox place (they are usually unmarked).

Old 07-15-2012, 06:19 PM

111 posts, read 131,720 times
Quote:
I second this. Historically, crime always picks up in the warmer months. Pittsburgh's crime has not increased as far as I have seen/read.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:26 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,167 times
Quote:

I agree, although I'd also point out that most of it is either drug or gang related...as it has always been.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:36 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,256,408 times
A recent UCLA study indicates that crime tends to concentrate itself near the borders of the various gang territories, at least in LA, as various gangs fight for turf.

I wonder if Pittsburgh's crime shows the same patterns.

Gang Map Study Shows Crime Happens Along Borders Between Sets in L.A. - Los Angeles News - The Informer

Old 07-15-2012, 06:50 PM

111 posts, read 131,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
A recent UCLA study indicates that crime tends to concentrate itself near the borders of the various gang territories, at least in LA, as various gangs fight for turf.

Gang Map Study Shows Crime Happens Along Borders Between Sets in L.A. - Los Angeles News - The Informer
That kind of seems like a "no duh" type thing, no matter where you are.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:59 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,209 times
It's summer time in an American city, it's pretty much a fact of life.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:56 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,650,216 times
It's the local TV news, it's pretty much a fact of life. If it bleeds it leads.

It's possible the number of shootings is up year over year, but it's still generally confined to the usual suspect places as it always is.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:21 PM

875 posts, read 1,489,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post

Well, if there are really as many gangs in Pittsburgh as Uptown Kid says...

In seriousness though, I agree with others: summer sees a spike in crime and the media perpetuates a false sense of danger. Let me see the numbers regarding crime stats first, otherwise move along, nothing to see here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh