Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 03:33 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times

Advertisements

also i have horrible balance - my inner ear doesn't work and my balance is governed pretty much entirely by sight, which means i don't get motion sick but i also fall over a lot on the bus - and i have no problem on a bike. there's not really much balance involved unless you're making a very tight turn (or doing a track stand).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 04:30 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
The only point I would add, is that this seems an odd choice given that there is a dedicated biking trail like 50 yards away along the river to station square. I dont see why one would choose to use a road mixed with traffic when an option devoid of any vehicles is right there as well

Old 07-17-2012, 04:49 PM

912 posts, read 1,732,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Yup I agree on both counts and I'm pretty positive that he's getting his troll on.

A bit off topic, but what are people's opinion on dudes that ride adult tricycles? I want to bike but I had ear surgery and my balance is way out of wack.
I'm a bigger dude, and I was thinking about going the trike route as well, since I would feel more comfortable on that than a traditional bike.

My only concern is transport. I doubt it would fit on standard car bike racks.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:52 PM

912 posts, read 1,732,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
The only point I would add, is that this seems an odd choice given that there is a dedicated biking trail like 50 yards away along the river to station square. I dont see why one would choose to use a road mixed with traffic when an option devoid of any vehicles is right there as well
I haven't been on the trail, so I could be wrong, but isn't it only accessible at certain points. A bike lane on Carson gives bikers the opportunity to stop/turn onto other streets anywhere, just like their motorist counterparts.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:17 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
I haven't been on the trail, so I could be wrong, but isn't it only accessible at certain points. A bike lane on Carson gives bikers the opportunity to stop/turn onto other streets anywhere, just like their motorist counterparts.
Hmm, this is correct. If you take the trail, you are actually taking a bypass trail to the Hot Metal Bridge. Is that what business owners want? A bypass? It IS a bypass and to access Carson, there are only certain points to get up there. Interesting point and maybe business owners are taking note of it. Don't underestimate the traffic on the trail on the weekends. It is so crowded, I don't even enjoy it. I ride back streets. If there is a bike route next to business, will cyclists stop and grab a drink of some food? Probably the answer is yes. I know Sharpsburg is wanting a bike route in their town. I think they want the traffic from the city. Don't underestimate what this could become. Pittsburgh is a good location for such a cool activity and a transportation mode. I get asked all the time about commuting and what it is like. I know a couple of people at work switched from bus to bike. It is all good.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:49 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
My only concern is transport. I doubt it would fit on standard car bike racks.
I've seen folding ones, but I think that was more to stick it in a trunk/hatch.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:26 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2187 View Post
Bikers rejoice!!

Bike lane to replace several blocks of free parking in Pittsburgh | TribLIVE

I like the idea of this bike lane on East Carson. It seems like it will connect the South Side with Station Square a lot better.

What are some other areas in the city this seems feasible to do? I personally think a bike lane should have been added on Fifth and Forbes Avenues in Oakland instead of the parking lanes that were put in.

I'm not against bike lanes (or by proxy cyclists...although I've come close to hitting them a great deal of the time due to their own negligence), but removing parking in a neighborhood that is severely lacking it and economically dependant (during the daylight non drinking hours) upon window shopping is moronic to a fault. What a total slap in the face to the people who call the southside home, as it will no doubt put an even greater strain on their ability to find parking for their vehicles or leave the neighborhood should they so choose.

Great way for the city to polarize a lot of people over the issue of making the roads more cyclist friendly, with the end result being anything but.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:42 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
As another poster noted, bike lane or not, people shouldn't be parking there.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:59 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,217 times
I've always wondered if it would be feasible to incorporate horizontal people movers with bicycles. It seems like it would be safe and move bikers at a pretty fast pace from one point to another. They could be covered for shade and inclement weather. I just don't know if the cost would be prohibitive.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:21 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,478 times
I think the Southside could be a strong case for one of the few areas that is in need of additional parking, preferably in the form of new garages, one in the vicinity of 18th-20th streets and one somewhere west of 10th. Then make all street peaking by permit to keep the residents happy, so their parking isn't all taken by those visiting. Keep parking off the main streets entirely. I'm not sure there is a good argument against this, other than cost, which may not be worth it either for the city or a developer if they dont get enough paying users.

People are so cheap with parking, I love how no one will pay but will instead drive around an hour and in some cases just go home instead of paying $5. Sorry, my hour is worth more than $5, and so is the paint on my doors and bumpers. If I'm heading to a dense urban area in the car, you bet I'm going to pay. These people getting free rides all these years and who feel entitled to not pay just because they get to work earlier than others have no basis for their grief. The free loading will stop, space to park isn't a free commodity to provide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh