Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 01:55 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times

Advertisements

McKees Rocks has a lot of different neighborhoods, some of which are separated by some physical barriers. If you are concerned about crime, just choose one of the safer neighborhoods. Presston, West Park, Pittock (all in Stowe, where I live) have not seen any murders that I am aware of, and are quiet and safe low-income areas, for the most part. I also believe the Bottoms is pretty safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 02:28 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,611,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I, too, have recently been looking at real estate in the McKees Rocks/Stowe Township area due to housing affordability and relative convenience to the city. I wouldn't be so concerned about such a small town having so many murders as long as they aren't random in nature.
When you first moved here you had your panties in a bunch because people were rude on your flower route and occasionally their where mugging in the city... Now you're looking at moving to the "bottoms" ... Our little SteelCityRising is all grown up and ready to face the world

Quote:
because "gang-bangin' 'hood rats" (is that what they're called?)
lol... a hood rat is a ghetto acting female. I'm sure you know the type. Not the same as a female who simply lives in the ghetto... They were given a derogatory nickname by the black community because even the average ghetto inhabitant understands that that type of behavior is atrocious.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:41 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:
I currently live within walking distance of the most murderous neighborhood in the metro area and still feel incredibly safe, even at night, because "gang-bangin' 'hood rats" (is that what they're called?) generally speaking aren't looking to just shoot down random law-abiding people jogging or pushing strollers on sidewalks for a "thrill".
werent you the guy that moved here in 2010, or 2009 from NOVA? because that is EXACTLY what you have in DC - they dont CARE, they DO want to gun down law-abiding, own-business-minding random people.

anyway, what is the "most murderous neighborhood in the metro area" that you are talking about????

WILWradio - you dont have to listen to me, but my advice is go elsewhere. im assuming you are a woman? the rocks are not the end all if you are looking to buy a place while sticking to a budget....good luck w/ your decision, though.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:54 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Most gang related murders are what could be termed "rough justice." Basically someone feels they were wronged by someone, and they cannot go to the law for redress (either because they don't trust the police, or because it would implicate them in crimes as well), and thus they take matters into their own hands.

Predatory violence is a different matter altogether, and much scarier IMHO. That said, the number of people willing to engage in face-to-face predatory violence (say, robbing someone at gunpoint rather than breaking into their house when they aren't there) is an even smaller subset of the criminal world.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:59 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
werent you the guy that moved here in 2010, or 2009 from NOVA? because that is EXACTLY what you have in DC - they dont CARE, they DO want to gun down law-abiding, own-business-minding random people.

anyway, what is the "most murderous neighborhood in the metro area" that you are talking about????

WILWradio - you dont have to listen to me, but my advice is go elsewhere. im assuming you are a woman? the rocks are not the end all if you are looking to buy a place while sticking to a budget....good luck w/ your decision, though.
Thanks. Actually I'm a guy but I guess I don't write like the typical guy. LOL Yeah, I'm really leery of the place now. Since these crimes are spread out and not isolated to one area, it is definitely something that could continue to spread and ultimately affect innocent bystanders. Here in KC there are way too many unintended targets that get shot by errant bullets. The more crimes like this that are committed the greater chance innocent people are going to get hit. You know this kind of crap did not happen much when we had less restrictive gun laws and everybody had a rifle or handgun at home and knew how to use it. It used to be a person could defend himself against thugs and not have to worry about getting in trouble with the law. Not anymore.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:36 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,159 times
To be fair, a good number of Sheraden crime originates from McKees Rocks, too.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:21 AM

480 posts, read 611,575 times
Sheraden isn't half of the community it used to be. It's ashamed what happened there. It's the sin of the west.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:05 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,159 times
Sheraden is not great by any means but it still has good sections. I don't think it is the crime hub people sometimes make it out to be. There are still lots of good people here.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:59 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
Sheraden is not great by any means but it still has good sections. I don't think it is the crime hub people sometimes make it out to be. There are still lots of good people here.
No doubt, but sadly, perception matters most in these things, and the perception is "Sheraden is going rapidly downhill." I know I've heard from several people it's become all-but-impossible for homeowners to sell their properties over the last few years, which will surely lead to abandonment and absentee landlords pretty soon.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:03 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,333 times
Here's my McKees Rocks/Stowe Crime Map of bad areas and gritty areas with some drug activity...
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...fe0f93a7&msa=0

Now as for Sheraden, it along with the Greenway Park Apartments current day state of criminal activity originates from the closing of Westgate Village and Broadhead Manor... In Sheraden the Broadhead G.B.K. Convicts and Westgate 608 OG Convicts moved and established new gangs like G.B.K-Gang Green and Money Up Front gang, & in Greenway they did the same and the G-Way Rude Boyz formed.
McKees Rocks Terrace criminals moved into the Meyers Ridge Apartments and Usana Village Projects...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh