Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 08:48 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,019,980 times

Advertisements

Although we aren't near a move yet, Point Breeze North has always intrigued me. The housing stock is mixed, but fairly good, with a mix of big old Victorians and more early 20th century construction similar to Squirrel Hill. The area has good transit connections via the Busway and the 88. The tree-lined streets are quite attractive. And we do the bulk of our food shopping at the East End Coop, so it would be very convenient for us. Finally, as a parent, I note that most of the neighborhood, with the exception of the eastern third (which is mostly industrial) goes to either Colfax or Minadeo for elementary school, and eventually goes to Allderdice.

Yet real estate prices are dirt cheap compared to the Lower East End. Few houses go on the market for over $200,000, and it's not uncommon to see houses on the market for under $100,000. This is especially surprising when you consider 3-6 bedroom houses seem to be the norm in the neighborhood.

So what gives? I'd assume it's a crime issue, but from what I have seen, crime rates are fairly moderate - higher than Point Breeze or Squirrel Hill, but similar to Regent Square, and lower than Shadyside. Is it really just people's perceptions of it as a neighborhood adjacent to Homewood?

Last edited by eschaton; 07-23-2012 at 09:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 08:53 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Is it really just people's perceptions of it as a neighborhood adjacent to Homewood?
Perception? It is adjacent to Homewood and the buffer is a set of railroad tracks, but that isn't enough of a buffer for most. The closer to Homewood the lower the price. Homewood is a very dangerous area. The company I work for gets deliveries with a semi truck and a new driver made a wrong turn and ended up in Homewood. They threw a brick at his truck and I suspect they wanted to hit him and take the goods out of the truck. The driver was very shaken up and actually said, he doesn't want to come back to Pittsburgh again and will be requesting his old routes to Philly and NYC. What a perception of Pittsburgh, but I wasn't about to argue with a guy that was that shaken. Anyway, Homewood isn't a place you want to be very often unless you really know what you are doing.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:05 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
I don't follow it that closely but I think prices are higher than you think. Or maybe the pricey ones stay on the market for a bit. I just don't see many houses coming on the market for 80,000 that are liveable. Another factor to consider is that North Point Breeze is actually pretty small so there really aren't that many options. True, the houses are bigger but that means they cost more to renovate.

It seems as if most of the neighborhoods that have taken off have their own business districts and with the exception are Regent Square are more urban (South Side, Lawrenceville, Mexican War Streets. So, maybe that is a knock against North Point Breeze.

I used of live in South Point Breeze and I really didn't find the location all that great. If you were driving anywhere you had to go through either Shadyside or Squirrel Hill which is awful.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:09 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
i have seen some 80K and 90K homes in north point breeze; it is entirely possible that they need way more work that is apparent from pictures, but they do look decent. I think curtis is right; it has a lot to do with perception (and maybe reality?).

Last edited by ferraris; 07-23-2012 at 10:32 AM..

Old 07-23-2012, 09:11 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
It is the transition zone between South Point Breeze and Homewood, and that affected things like the local income distribution, housing condition, and so on. That's a bit more than mere perception, or maybe the best way to put it is that over the long run, perception can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. I also agree it wasn't quite as well-located as South Point Breeze, although the redevelopment of East Liberty's commercial core is changing that.

So I think it is a good bet all that is turning around, but there will likely be a persistent gap with South Point Breeze for quite a while even as it improves.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:20 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,019,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Perception? It is adjacent to Homewood and the buffer is a set of railroad tracks, but that isn't enough of a buffer for most. The closer to Homewood the lower the price. Homewood is a very dangerous area.
Pittsburgh has had many cases of improving neighborhoods immediately next to seriously unsafe ones however in recent years. Shadyside and Highland Park versus East Liberty, for example, or the gentrification of much of the Northside, or just outside of the city, the Regent Square portion of Wilkinsburg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I used of live in South Point Breeze and I really didn't find the location all that great. If you were driving anywhere you had to go through either Shadyside or Squirrel Hill which is awful.
I don't really want to leave Lawrenceville. But if our daughter doesn't get into the magnet system when she turns 5, we're going to have to consider a move to somewhere else, probably in the Lower East End, and we honestly couldn't afford Squirrel Hill or Shadyside. My wife keeps boosting Greenfield, which has a similar price range to Point Breeze North, but it's about as unwalkable, plus the housing is generally early 20th century suburban, and ugly as hell.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:27 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,595 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh has had many cases of improving neighborhoods immediately next to seriously unsafe ones however in recent years. Shadyside and Highland Park versus East Liberty, for example, or the gentrification of much of the Northside, or just outside of the city, the Regent Square portion of Wilkinsburg.

I don't really want to leave Lawrenceville. But if our daughter doesn't get into the magnet system when she turns 5, we're going to have to consider a move to somewhere else, probably in the Lower East End, and we honestly couldn't afford Squirrel Hill or Shadyside. My wife keeps boosting Greenfield, which has a similar price range to Point Breeze North, but it's about as unwalkable, plus the housing is generally early 20th century suburban, and ugly as hell.
I share your opinions on Greenfield... not my thing at all. Do you have a feeder map? What about Friendship... or the pretty areas of Bloomfield (north of Friendship ave, for example)?

Old 07-23-2012, 09:43 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Do you have a feeder map? What about Friendship... or the pretty areas of Bloomfield (north of Friendship ave, for example)?
I believe this contains the new maps, and unfortunately Bloomfield/Friendship doesn't address their school issues:

http://www.pps.k12.pa.us/14311051817...v7_Bus_Fin.pdf

Old 07-23-2012, 10:38 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
Quote:

Shadyside, Highland Park and Regent Square were never as bad as North Point Breeze.

I would think that Greenfield is more walkable than North Point Breeze since it does have a larger business district when considering both parts. Sure it is on hill but it is very dense.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:56 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Shadyside, Highland Park and Regent Square were never as bad as North Point Breeze.

I would think that Greenfield is more walkable than North Point Breeze since it does have a larger business district when considering both parts. Sure it is on hill but it is very dense.
North Point Breeze is a tiny neighborhood and doesn't offer its own business district (it does contain the East End Co-op, however)... but it's very close to the sizable East Liberty retail cluster (Target, Trader Joe's, Bakery Square, Whole Foods, Giant Eagle, two major gyms, tons of dining, etc)... and is rather close to business districts in Shadyside, along Penn heading into Wilkinsburg, Regent Square, the tiny district on Reynolds St, etc.

Adding to North Point Breeze's superior walkability is its gentle topography and attractive tree-lined streets. It's a great biking locale as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh