Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 02:40 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
Copanut,

I suggest a pay toilet tax on all bars, restaurants, and other public facilities the city sees fit to mandate. Think of it as a parking meter with benefits. Geesh... I have too much time on my hands, I need to get back to work.

Makes sense, like Archie Bunker said, You can't buy beer, you can only rent it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 05:55 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
How 'bout a drink tax?

What Squarian said, but if the public dictated what to spend money on, it would probably be pro rasslin'.
It would be sad day if the WWF got a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:43 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
It would be sad day if the WWF got a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts.
Completely unfair - WWF is just as much a part of high culture as Beethoven - just ask the A&E people.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:44 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Makes sense, like Archie Bunker said, You can't buy beer, you can only rent it!
LOL Hey, by the way, I see you just got a star! Congrats!

Old 08-09-2012, 09:41 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,595 times
Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra forecasts two more years of deficits | TribLIVE

Old 09-15-2012, 04:12 PM

Well, this is what ya gotta do...

Olivia Newton-John to perform with Pittsburgh Symphony - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

So the PSO will play the music of Michael Jackson November 27, and then Olivia Newton-John will perform with the PSO December 8. If I was in Pittsburgh, I'd definitely see Olivia Newton-John! It should sell out...just on account of her.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:09 PM

*** bump ***

Just a reminder that Olivia Newton-John is performing with the PSO tomorrow night.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:38 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,292,682 times
Why anyone would pick Olivia Newton John over tonight's Saint-Saëns Organ symphony No 3 is beyond me.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:27 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Maybe not what you mean, but to take the long view, the weak link is that orchestras, museums and other cultural institutions were status symbols for the American elite in the Gilded Age, and paying for them was a way to convert fortunes founded in dubious ways into social respectability by aping the style of the European ruling class (though the absurd aspect wasn't lost on everyone, so, for example, Edith Wharton's brilliant line that "it seems stupid to have discovered America only to make it into a copy of another country.").

In its early days, the PSO provided Pittsburgh's new-minted elite with a suitable backdrop against which to display a superior taste and manner, which the source of their wealth might otherwise have called into question.

Unfortunately for so many cultural institutions, whether in Pittsburgh or elsewhere, the modern-day successors of the captains of industry and and barons of finance have taken Wharton's witticism to heart, and have either chosen more genuinely nativist plebeian amusements such as water-skiing, or else have been unwilling to provide their patronage on the scale of their predecessors. Into that breach left by the decline of pseudo-aristocratic patronage has stepped the state, but with certain inevitable consequences.

So, the weak link is that the mass of the population never were much interested in European high culture, while the plutocratic elite is now less so than formerly.
This was the best defense of bad taste I've ever read.

So appreciating fine music is only for the European aristocracy and those who seek to emulate them?

Old 03-11-2013, 10:02 PM

Another good idea by the PSO

Music preview: 'The Wizard of Oz' at Heinz Hall, powered by the Pittsburgh Symphony - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Would be fun to see it with a live orchestra. Kind of a weird throwback to the days of silent films although I believe the dialog is still there but the PSO fills in the music.

I saw a big screen showing of TWoO years ago in Atlanta at the Fox Theatre which is also a restored old movie palace theater. It was preceded by a wine and cheese tasting which added to one's positive attitude for the show.

Another good idea for a PSO concert, but I bit esoteric for Americans, is to perform the Murray Gold's soundtrack for Doctor Who. Pretty good stuff in isolation as you don't really get the full effect from the TV show.

For a sampler, some Doctor Who fans got together and recreated some of Murray Gold's stuff. Keep in mind they are amateurs but do a sensational job.

DWFO #3: "Rose's Theme / Doomsday" - YouTube

They do some other Doctor Who themes if you care to view them.

I see a PSO version as showing clips of the show and likewise using a choir. But like I said, not really well known in the US although the show does air regularly on BBC America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh