Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 08:12 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
Also you need an ID when applying for welfare and other entitlements. I bet those folks have no problems with it then.
This keeps getting brought up again and again. The assumption that people without IDs are all on welfare says volumes about our social disdain for the poor.

You'd be shocked at how many people who simply exist outside of the normal financial and social system. Many don't drive, don't use banks, don't use credit or any number of normal activities that most people participate in.

Frankly, unless there is first a law requiring all residents have a photo ID, there is no practical way to require showing one exclusively for the exercise of a Constitutionally protected right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 08:13 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
You are required in Pennsylvania to have either a driver's license or state photo ID.
I am not aware of any PA law requiring residents to have identification.

We don't live in a police state where we need to provide identification on demand.

In 2008, PA voted against the federal Real ID law. And PA is still fighting that federal mandate.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:19 AM

49 posts, read 80,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post

You'd be shocked at how many people who simply exist outside of the normal financial and social system. Many don't drive, don't use banks, don't use credit or any number of normal activities that most people participate in.
In other words people who don't contribute to society

Old 07-27-2012, 08:21 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,085 times
If you are "required" to have a state ID then the state must provide one. Period.

Making people buy one as a solution to a problem that does not exist is ridiculous and essentially is a poll tax.

This has absolutely nothing to do with welfare. This has everything to do with a bold attempt to engage in Southern politics to disenfranchise voters that the state GOP doesn't want voting.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:48 AM

606 posts, read 943,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicBreath View Post
In other words people who don't contribute to society
Or people who have "contributed to society" in the ways you're talking about for forty or fifty years and are now retired.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:54 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,811 times
Quote:
I can honestly say that I don't know what all of the uproar is about with having ID. You are required in Pennsylvania to have either a driver's license or state photo ID. The latter costs a mere $13 every 4 years. I get a notice well in advance of when my state ID is expiring.
That's not true. You can be legally obligated to identify yourself under certain circumstances, but you are not required to possess a state issued ID card.

Quote:
Photo ID is required for many things, not just voting. I've had to show my ID to get a library card and sometimes when using a credit card plus other things.
Photo ID is required by law for almost nothing. A common but misleading and erroneous argument is that photo identification is required for many everyday things such a purchasing alcohol or tobacco or securing certain privileges such as a library card. This is not correct. Businesses and institutions generally have policies requiring customers to show identification, but those policies are not mandated by law. Anyone can buy beer without an identification, however distributors can get in big trouble for selling alcohol for someone under the age of 21. So as a matter of policy, distributors require customers to provide photo identification if they appear to be below a certain age.

That example is not analogous to the new photo ID law, in which it is being mandated not that polling officials confirm the identity of voters, but rather that polling officials see a narrowly-defined identification card.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:17 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,225,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy53 View Post
This is the problem. It's not if a person can or can't get a ID easily. The problem is this country is split right down the middle and there is no give or negotiation. Nobody can live with anything that is not 100% within their ideology. I'm a 21 year veteran who is beginning to wonder why I even bothered. I no longer like democrats, republicans, conservative, liberals or Independents. Just shut up about being the best or worst until a politician works for everyone within reason everyone is bad!!!!!!!!!! I use to be confused on who to vote for now I just don't care!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You said it my man. I can't easily remember the last time I've met someone who regularly qualified their sentiments or opinion, whether in politics or just a coworker or someone offering their evaluation of an idea, etc. I've love to hear "maybe" "I think" "perhaps" "sometimes" "it might", etc. be used more often than they are, but it seems that people tend to interpret uncertaintly as weakness.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with arriving at a well-reasoned conclusion and then going ahead with it, but I'm afraid Davy Crockett's maxim may be a little too reckless to be practiced as a rule of thumb in a civilized society, especially when people have such flimsy standards when it comes to evaluating their "rightness".

Old 07-27-2012, 10:29 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,225,605 times
A times like this, I just try to ask myself: What would the Founding Fathers do?

Let's work out a compromise of some sort...perhaps, let those without valid ID cast a vote, but let it count for only 3/5 of a vote.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:32 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Turzai's boneheaded bumbling aside . . .
Kinsley gaffe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"A gaffe is when a politician tells the truth - some obvious truth he isn't supposed to say."

Quote:
. . . every news article on someone actually being effected by these laws was some old guy being turned away while trying to vote for mitt Romney in the primary.
I agree it isn't really known yet what, if any, net impact this will have on the general election. Personally, I think the mere fact that people who want to vote and who are otherwise eligible to vote will be denied that right for no legitimate purpose is enough to condemn the law, even if it proves ineffectual at changing the outcome of the election.

But in that context, Turzai's "bumbling" admission of the truth is still important, because it completes the case that there is in fact no legitimate purpose behind this law.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:40 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Should you have to register to vote?
Personally, I would say no, not in a voluntary voting system (in a compulsory voting system, you likely need some sort of register). I believe North Dakota has no registration system, in fact.

Even assuming there is some purpose being served by voter registration in a voluntary system, it should be as easy as possible to register, including same-day registration and online registration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh