Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 07:05 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,720,832 times

Advertisements

Last night I attended a ghost bike dedication at The Factory (complex where East End Food Co Op is located) on Penn Avenue, very close to where James Price was killled almost a week ago. If you pull in to the parking lot off of Penn Avenue, you'll see the bike chained to the fence. I do have some pictures which I will post later. Around 50 or so people attended, it was very touching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 07:21 AM

142 posts, read 366,369 times
There is a very similar memorial/dedication on Allegheny River Boulevard in Penn Hills, at the intersection of Sandy Creek Rd. A very rusty and old bike chained to a pole, with a sign that reads something to the effect of "ghost rider" or the like. I always wondered about its significance, but I'm guessing it was another tragedy. Very haunting and eerie. Does anyone know about this?

Old 07-31-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshM25 View Post
There is a very similar memorial/dedication on Allegheny River Boulevard in Penn Hills, at the intersection of Sandy Creek Rd. A very rusty and old bike chained to a pole, with a sign that reads something to the effect of "ghost rider" or the like. I always wondered about its significance, but I'm guessing it was another tragedy. Very haunting and eerie. Does anyone know about this?

'Ghost bikes' are grim reminders - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - Printer friendly

Old 07-31-2012, 09:05 AM

6,360 posts, read 5,081,467 times
back in my DC days (now seeming an eternity ago, but only 2 1/2 years) there was a 'ghost bike' monument for a killed bicyclist at 20th and R NW. the fatal accident was her fault; it occurred right outside of the church of scientology, ironically (so much for their being 'experts' in a disaster).

it was an eerie sight, and very sad.

thanks for mentioning this - i hope the tv media covers it, if they hadnt yet. and i hope its kept up in a respectable manner.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
back in my DC days (now seeming an eternity ago, but only 2 1/2 years) there was a 'ghost bike' monument for a killed bicyclist at 20th and R NW. the fatal accident was her fault; it occurred right outside of the church of scientology, ironically (so much for their being 'experts' in a disaster).

it was an eerie sight, and very sad.

thanks for mentioning this - i hope the tv media covers it, if they hadnt yet. and i hope its kept up in a respectable manner.
I've offered my pictures to all the news agencies. WTAE did show up, after the event had concluded, and apparently showed video. It was very touching, very nice to meet the family. As far as it being kept up, the owners of The Factory have said the memorial can remain as long as it is well maintained, so I mentioned I live close and I am going to help the family make sure it remains looking respectful.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:04 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,706,070 times
i'm glad they found a place to put the bike that wouldn't block the narrow sidewalk where he was actually hit. great compromise. i wish i'd known this was happening, i would have gone.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i'm glad they found a place to put the bike that wouldn't block the narrow sidewalk where he was actually hit. great compromise. i wish i'd known this was happening, i would have gone.

I found out on a whim myself. I went out for my nightly run, came home and checked Facebook at 8pm and walked over.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:55 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,811,945 times
I'm glad the memorial has a very good chance of staying up for a long time.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
I'm glad the memorial has a very good chance of staying up for a long time.
Between the family and myself looking out for it, I think it will be there for a long time.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:01 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,811,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Between the family and myself looking out for it, I think it will be there for a long time.
That was what prompted my statement. It's unfortunate that reminders to respect bicycles on the road sometimes have to be in the form of memorials to the dead, and the longer it can be maintained, the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh