Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 09:13 AM

2 posts, read 10,913 times

Advertisements

Hello guys,
I am relatively new to Pittsburgh. I am planning (me and my wife) to drive from pittsburgh to niagara falls , NY next week. We are planning to spend just 1 night in Niagara. Are there any places worth visiting between pittsburgh and niagara/around niagara ?

We have about 5 days of vacation. So we are looking for places to visit on the other 3-4 days?

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 09:25 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrocks View Post
Hello guys,
I am relatively new to Pittsburgh. I am planning (me and my wife) to drive from pittsburgh to niagara falls , NY next week. We are planning to spend just 1 night in Niagara. Are there any places worth visiting between pittsburgh and niagara/around niagara ?

We have about 5 days of vacation. So we are looking for places to visit on the other 3-4 days?

Thanks guys!
Lots of places. My hometown of Erie, PA is on the way, Buffalo NY is on the way

Old 07-28-2012, 09:45 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
I'd probably go on up to Toronto. Although I'd probably spend two nights in Niagara. But I'm assuming crossing the border, and maybe you're not prepared to do that, not sure. It's a little bit harder than it used to be, at least coming back, need specific documents now. Honestly I wouldn't go to Niagara without crossing the border because you just miss out on the best views of the falls.

Anyway where else you go really depends upon what sort of things you're looking to do. To me, there isn't necessarily a lot right on the way "between" here and there that would draw me, but there are other places you could go both between and also sort of "while you're up that way". I would enjoy heading over into the Finger Lakes area in NY, for instance. But your trip back from there will end up a little longer.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:48 AM

912 posts, read 1,732,687 times
If you're going up there, you really owe it to yourselves to go over to the Canadian side of the falls. While it is pretty kitschy & touristy, the view is far superior than the American side. Also, while you're on the Canadian side, drive up to Niagara-on-the-Lake. Very nice little town with shops and restaurants, and a completely different atmosphere than the Falls.

I'd highly suggest driving to Toronto as well. It's an easy drive, just over an hour away from the Falls. It's an absolutely beautiful city that you could easily spend a day or two exploring. Great parks, nice museums, and everything else a major metropolitan city has to offer. I actually prefer Toronto to large cities in America like New York or Chicago.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:52 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Chautauqua County, NY which includes Jamestown, Dunkirk-Fredonia and Westfield. There's a good Swedish Bakery and eatery in Jamestown called Eklof's and also a lot of neat culture in the area.

Visit Chautauqua Lake & Western New York|Vacation, Travel, and Tourism

Old 07-28-2012, 09:56 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,070 times
There's a nice little town between Niagara and Toronto called Niagara-on-the-Lake.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:27 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
There's a nice little town between Niagara and Toronto called Niagara-on-the-Lake.
Absolutely, if you're planning to cross the border (i.e. you'll have your passports with you) don't neglect Niagara on the Lake, one of the most charming villages anywhere within driving distance of Pgh.

Also, the vineyards around Niagara-sur-Mer (as we jokingly call it) are well worth an afternoon.

Finally, given this year is the bicentennial of the War of 1812 (a much bigger deal on the Canadian side, being their "war of independence"), there are related events almost every weekend in the Niagara Region:

Events

Old 07-28-2012, 02:42 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
I'll third (or whatever it is) visiting Toronto.

I'd also consider visiting Erie and the beaches.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:16 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,405,190 times
There's a lot to do on the American side of the falls as well. Aquarium, Fort Niagara, a hydro-electric plant that has a visitors area and interactive museum...

Not mentioned yet so I'm going to toss it out. If you're going to Canada, plan your crossing before you even leave this area. You'll want to spend some time getting familiar with tolls, wait times, routes... E.g. if you drive to Niagara Falls then find that the Peace Bridge is you're preferred route based on your destination(s) in Canada, you're going to have to backtrack to Buffalo.

Also watch for any NEXUS requirements. Since it's unlikely you have a NEXUS card, you'll want to make sure you're not crossing in an area/lane that only accepts that card.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:59 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Chautauqua County, NY which includes Jamestown, Dunkirk-Fredonia and Westfield. There's a good Swedish Bakery and eatery in Jamestown called Eklof's and also a lot of neat culture in the area.

Visit Chautauqua Lake & Western New York|Vacation, Travel, and Tourism
i second this. new york state is beautiful, but you will be going a bit east from I-90, and away from the popular destinations suggested in this thread. i would suggest saving this (jamestown, onward to possibly cooperstown) for another time.

i have to warn you, with the risk of being the forum curmudgeon - i think niagara-on-the-lake is absolutely lovely, but so boring; i found it an absolute waste of mytime.

but if you do head up the QEW, hamilton (our sister city, as far as im concerned!) has an open drive-through safari thing close-by. you might get lucky and be allowed to feed the lion kitty! but remember - DONT GET OUT OF YOUR CAR! lol THE CALL IS COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE!
African Lion Safari - Plan Your Trip

also, the area in niagara falls, new york called "Prospect Point" is i think the closest you can actually come to the falls without taking a boat ride. its awesome to be that close to the precipice, maybe 30 yards away.
also, there is an elevator there that takes you to the lower part of the river, where you can walk a bit up upstream, then up a slippery wooden staircase to get even closer - maybe 30 feet, if that, from the falls! its an incredible experience.
Prospect Point Park in Niagara Falls New York

the new york side is more 'natural' with contiguous parkland. i must be getting old because i really preferred that to the glitz and glamour of the very nice, very lovely n. falls, ON the last time i was there. although the ontario city is fun, fun, fun when youve had enough water and nature.

also, as Ryan pointed out, Old Fort Niagara is very cool. yea, i know - history can be boring. no - this place is well-preserved and very interesting. the french style architecture is rarely seen in colonial-era historical sites. it makes the historical aspect of Point State Park look like a joke. it is very beautiful up there along the peaceful part of the niagara river.
:: Old Fort Niagara :: Western New York's most popular State Historic Site, New York State Park, and National Historic Landmark

i hope you report back on your trip. if i had to move anywhere, i would love to live in lewiston, ny, or close-by. i love western new york and ontario's golden horseshoe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh