Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 06:56 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times

Advertisements

My friend asked us to watch her children while she is at a child support hearing.

I've decided we will meet them downtown, take them to breakfast before heading to the Science Center.

I haven't worked near Grant Street for over 10 years. Where's a good sit down place with a full traditional breakfast menu?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 07:58 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,651,584 times
Hanlon's, which moved from near Duquesne U to 9xx Liberty Ave. Diner type place. I personally haven't eaten, but it has to be better than Cherries (off Market Square on Forbes), which I didn't care for. It was well known for good stuff in its old location from what I can tell, was forced out of there because of the university. If you didn't want sit down I would send you to Bluebird Kitchen (same thing, off Market Square on Forbes) which makes amazing food. If it's a nice day you might still consider Bluebird and sitting in Market Square, which is a really nice place to sit outside these days. Amazing food might be lost on the kids but maybe not you.

Other than that you have hotels as far as I know. Can't think of another sit down breakfast place. Taste of Dahntahn was originally doing it but gave up quickly.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:05 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
Nikki's in the Grant Building.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:14 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Thanks for the suggestions!

I wish I could get into the cafeteria at One Mellon. It had awesome breakfast. I gained a few pounds working there.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Nikki's in the Grant Building.
Just for clarification, apparently Nicky's Grant Street. Is this new or just unheralded? One thing I found played it as old. And yet it's difficult to figure out. I used to visit that building occasionally but that's been years and I don't remember. Have vague recollection of something being there.

Ah, you did in fact bring it up in this other thread, but seeing it only once doesn't stick. Maybe it will now.

//www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...st-places.html

Old 07-30-2012, 08:23 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Just for clarification, apparently Nicky's Grant Street. Is this new or just unheralded? One thing I found played it as old. And yet it's difficult to figure out. I used to visit that building occasionally but that's been years and I don't remember. Have vague recollection of something being there.

Ah, you did in fact bring it up in this other thread, but seeing it only once doesn't stick. Maybe it will now.

//www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...st-places.html

Not sure of the spelling but it has been in the building for years. Not a trendy place but certainly conveniet to the family court compex. Limited breakfast options up this way. Apollo Cafe serves breakfast too. I also think Mitchell's has it to but it would be in the bar which isn't where I would want to take a kid.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:49 AM

556 posts, read 1,228,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Thanks for the suggestions!

I wish I could get into the cafeteria at One Mellon. It had awesome breakfast. I gained a few pounds working there.
I think the Cafeteria in our building (Mellon 4) is better... I see friends from mellon 1 over here all the time. lol.

Primantis makes a mean breakfast sandwich but not sure about a full menu place.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:56 AM

Heh, yeah, the Primanti's up that way is open in the morning. Last I checked the Market Square one is not.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:29 AM

674 posts, read 1,412,553 times
The Terrace Room in the William Penn does a lovely breakfast, but it is $$$ and likely too fancy to take kids.
I love diner breakfasts - wish there were more options.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:23 PM

112 posts, read 161,982 times
Hanlon's has never disappointed me.

Still a bit of a hike (I guess as much as the Bluebird) is that little storefront across from the Fairmont on Fifth...forget the name. Might not be a great sit-down option, though, think there's only a few seats in there. We're throwing out all these local options, but then the kids might shoot them all down for McDs, Dunkin, or Subway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh