Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 09:06 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,830,993 times

Advertisements

JimboPGH

I agree with the premise of what you are posting and thanks for linking the article, it was a good read. However, I believe this thread was related to the city appearing artificially small to people outside of the Pittsburgh area because of the lack of annexing. While the article you posted has some very positive information and Chris Briem has been writing about this for a while, I am not sure how much it helps people from outside the area look at Pittsburgh as a growing city/metro. Many people simply look at the Pittsburgh city population and wonder why it is #61.

List of United States cities by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 06:28 AM

6,356 posts, read 5,001,873 times
^^^^ is that a +0.17% ?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!??!?!?!? a positive number? >= 0????????

interstingly, new orleans saw a significant jump in population. possibly people still returning from Katrina?

Old 03-04-2014, 07:34 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,334,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
^^^^ is that a +0.17% ?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!??!?!?!? a positive number? >= 0????????

interstingly, new orleans saw a significant jump in population. possibly people still returning from Katrina?
I believe so, they lost a significant amount of population following Katrina, most who were relocated to Houston. I don't believe that they will reach pre-Katrina numbers by 2020 but I also believe that many of those who left are coming back home. Thankfully for New Orleans this wasn't caused by economic factors meaning that people are coming back as there is work to be had as compared to Rust Belt cities where people left for lack of employment opportunities and for all intents and purposes aren't coming back.

As for the population gain, it is a very small number and is therefore subject for a margin of error wiping out any of the gains, but it is a step up from population freefall. As long as jobs can be created, people will continue to move to/stay in the area. Unfortunately, for jobs to be created in any significant number, PA needs to update it's screwed up business as taxes that drive jobs across state lines. For example, Pittsburgh is losing manufacturing jobs while cities such Cleveland and Detroit are gaining them in droves. Although Pittsburgh won't be the manufacturing giant that it once was, it is good to have manufacturing within the region as they are good lower skill jobs with excellent wages (and it is likely due to the high CNI rate that auto manufacturing never entered western PA like it did for NE Ohio.) I don't think that corporate welfare should be the way of the future, but for Pittsburgh to grow in significant numbers again, economic opportunities need to expand to the point where if one employer lays off a significant amount of workers, they don't have to relocate to say Texas for instance to find comparable employment opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh