Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 09:47 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times

Advertisements

I'm also excited for the day 28 will be finished, if it ever comes. I use 28 every day to get to work. It's actually not too bad, even in its current state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 10:10 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,144,894 times
According to the most recent article I read about it, it's 30% done and ahead of schedule. I guess that everyone necessarily has to gripe whenever PennDOT does anything, but it seems like it's doing fine right now.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:58 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
According to the most recent article I read about it, it's 30% done and ahead of schedule. I guess that everyone necessarily has to gripe whenever PennDOT does anything, but it seems like it's doing fine right now.
1. PennDot? They couldn't touch this job, they had to hire a company out of Saxonburg to actually WORK.
2. This job would have probably been done already, but we don't have enough money to pay the Saxonburg company.
3. Don't praise PennDot's losers. They are all leaches to the state and should be erased. They really hurt our state and kill our tax revenue. There is NOTHING good to say about that loser organization. Losers from top to bottom, period. Not losers in the money sense though. Just losers because they can't possibly have any pride in their work. None!

Old 02-24-2014, 06:04 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,028 times
Is 28 any closer to being finished?

Old 02-24-2014, 06:13 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
Is 28 any closer to being finished?

Sure, its moving right along. Over the past year, they've reconnected it to the 31st St. Bridge, it looks like work on the section between the vets bridge and 31 St. is continuing.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:26 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Sure, its moving right along. Over the past year, they've reconnected it to the 31st St. Bridge, it looks like work on the section between the vets bridge and 31 St. is continuing.
Living in Polish Hill and frequenting the Waterworks and Pittsburgh Mills, we love having the 31st Street Bridge reopened and accessible to Route 28. As soon as the weather breaks I'm going to start running again, and now I can run along the bridge and hook onto the North Shore Trail more easily than driving and parking in Millvale and running down from there.

I just hope they eventually DO reopen Rialto Street. If they don't, then that will scratch Troy Hill off my list as a first-time homebuyer, as that will lengthen my commute to Squirrel Hill North too much from there. Instead of just heading down Rialto and hopping 28 North to the Highland Park Bridge to Washington Boulevard to Fifth to Beechwood to my office I'd have to backtrack down Troy Hill Road to Chestnut Street to 28 North. That might only add five minutes to my commute, but if I'm going to move anywhere to buy my first home I'm not increasing my current commuting time of 20-25 minutes each way.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:17 AM

50 posts, read 66,271 times
Needed for Rialto Street:

Vs. What is installed now on Rialto St.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:24 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,144,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I just hope they eventually DO reopen Rialto Street.
I don't even think that it's in question whether they will reopen it -- PennDOT, Public Works, and city officials have repeatedly said that it will be open again in Spring. Whether it will remain open throughout the winter is the question -- and hopefully the proposed gate mentioned by macharoni above will solve that as well.

Quote:
If they don't, then that will scratch Troy Hill off my list as a first-time homebuyer, as that will lengthen my commute to Squirrel Hill North too much from there. Instead of just heading down Rialto and hopping 28 North to the Highland Park Bridge to Washington Boulevard to Fifth to Beechwood to my office I'd have to backtrack down Troy Hill Road to Chestnut Street to 28 North. That might only add five minutes to my commute, but if I'm going to move anywhere to buy my first home I'm not increasing my current commuting time of 20-25 minutes each way.
The 28/Highland Park commute makes some sense, but why not just use Troy Hill Road -> 279 -> 376? It would be equally fast, if not a few minutes faster under ideal conditions -- though I have no idea when you commute or what rush hour traffic is like out to Sq Hill in the morning.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:26 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
I don't even think that it's in question whether they will reopen it -- PennDOT, Public Works, and city officials have repeatedly said that it will be open again in Spring. Whether it will remain open throughout the winter is the question -- and hopefully the proposed gate mentioned by macharoni above will solve that as well.

The 28/Highland Park commute makes some sense, but why not just use Troy Hill Road -> 279 -> 376? It would be equally fast, if not a few minutes faster under ideal conditions -- though I have no idea when you commute or what rush hour traffic is like out to Sq Hill in the morning.
I've also considered 279 to 376, but given that I would then be spit out at the bottom of Squirrel Hill and work near the top of Squirrel Hill (walking distance from St. Bede's in Point Breeze, actually) I would then have to take Forward to Shady to Wilkins, which can be pretty congested at most points of the day, and I'd have the added worry of "Is 376 going to be backed up??" before I even made it to the exit. It just feels "closer" to the Highland Park Bridge than to I-376 from Wilkins & Dallas. I envision Route 28 back-ups to be a rarity once the reconstruction is fully completed (at least until enough new sprawl occurs up in Sarver and surrounding areas to pump enough new traffic onto it to counterbalance the added capacity).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh