Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2012, 08:10 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. made African-Americans look badly. Shame on him.
Wow, how out of touch. You are going to compare MLK to a "kiss in" at Chick Fil A? Thanks, I needed a laugh this morning. That is priceless!!! Might be one of the funniest things I have read in a while. Good luck. MLK was one of the greatest speakers of all time. He is studied in Ivy League schools in speech classes. A "kiss in"? Ha, ha, ha... that is too funny. It is insulting to the black community though. I mean comparing MLK to this hyped up crap that means nothing.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:14 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Rosa Parks made African-Americans look badly. Shame on her.
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. made African-Americans look badly. Shame on him.
Susan B. Anthony made women look badly. Shame on her.
Harriet Beecher Stowe made abolitionists look badly. Shame on her.
You are actually going to justify vandalism and 1st Amendment violations by comparing women's suffrage and the intolerance shown toward African-Americans prior to the Civil Rights Movement to the opinion of a fast food restaurant CEO who thinks gays shouldn't marry???

Makes perfect sense, that.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:18 AM

510 posts, read 905,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
It's interesting that if you support organizations that champion men and women procreating to make children and then to raise them in a stable man/female environment, you are now declared by the left to be some sort of weirdo.

One must wonder what sort of freak show culture we are living in if that is the case.

If procreating and raising a child in a stable environment is hate, we've got serious mental issues in this country and I'd say our future as a republic is at risk.

A lot of homosexuals declare people that don't like their lifestyle to be "homophobes". I would say in return they must be "heterophobes" themselves.

If you don't believe in discrimination, then you do not believe in free speech, because a part of free speech is the ability to decide who you associate with, where you eat, what church you go to or not, where you live, who your friends are, and especially what you say, etc. People "discriminate" every single day of their life and homosexuals discriminate as well. "Discriminate" has been turned into a bad word by the left and it's not.
You cannot actually be that obtuse. No one is against heterosexual unions or heterosexuals raising kids (although they certainly don’t always do a great job of either). Rather WinShape funds groups that support things like reparative therapy for LGBTQ sexual orientation (which is not a disorder that needs ‘treated’, in case you didn’t know). This practice has long been disavowed by every rigorous researcher/practiitoner, including the APA. WinShape also indirectly funds Julian Oyet who brought us the lovely “Kill the Gyas” bill in Uganda. So there certainly is some real hate behind the whole thing.
I must also remind everyone that there has never been evidence that children raised by LGBTQ people show any negative outcomes in scientific studies, even those done by right-wing groups. The key word is rigorous so do not bother to cite any Family Research Council ‘studies’.
Honestly, with the divorce rate so high and the struggles families have to raise children I wish these groups actually DID do constructive things to support heterosexual families; instead of trying to tear down LGBTQ rights.
This whole Chic-fiasco Fil-A has mostly made me feel very happy that I have been a vegetarian for 20 years.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:22 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Wow, how out of touch. You are going to compare MLK to a "kiss in" at Chick Fil A? Thanks, I needed a laugh this morning. That is priceless!!! Might be one of the funniest things I have read in a while. Good luck. MLK was one of the greatest speakers of all time. He is studied in Ivy League schools in speech classes. A "kiss in"? Ha, ha, ha... that is too funny. It is insulting to the black community though. I mean comparing MLK to this hyped up crap that means nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
You are actually going to justify vandalism and 1st Amendment violations by comparing women's suffrage and the intolerance shown toward African-Americans prior to the Civil Rights Movement to the opinion of a fast food restaurant CEO who thinks gays shouldn't marry???

The parallels I've drawn are meant to show that no minority group achieved social equality WITHOUT the valiant actions of those who refused to be silenced and refused to idle as those around them were egregiously denied the same benefits afforded to "mainstream America".

I'm not specifically trying to imply that the "I Have a Dream" speech is equivocal with kissing in front of Chick-Fil-A. AlleghenyAngel is certainly welcome to correct me if I'm mistaken, but the LGBT community simply hasn't had the pleasure of having such a gifted, noble, and powerful figurehead ascend to the top of our own Civil Rights Movement.

With that being said I've been on the verge of applying to law school myself, followed by a career in politics. I feel as if someone DOES need to fill the void that currently exists at the apex of our own Civil Rights Movement to finally provide some semblance of LEGITIMACY to our movement.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:22 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,381,971 times
My sister is gay, married, and living in Connecticut with her wife.
They have two children and a very nice home.
She takes her turn taking the kids to soccer practice and makes dinner for the family every evening.
They go on trips to the beach and to art museums and playgrounds.
My sister and her wife volunteer at the animal rescue in their area and donate money to children's cancer charities.

This is the biggest nightmare for those that oppose same sex marriage.
My sister and her wife are just like anyone else, perhaps even above the norm.
A normal life in a nice neighborhood with a solid marriage and bright future.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:23 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Quote:
So the CEO of Chik-Fli-A doesn't believe in gay marriage.
You are apparently overlooking the contributions to anti-gay groups. It is one thing to police a CEO's personal views, another to not want some of your money going to support anti-gay activities.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:31 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,224,958 times
Quote:

What 1st Amendment violations? I keep hearing this, and I don't understand what is being violated or by who. A few mayors said ill-considered statements, but their distracting grandstanding aside, what is the violation?

Also, I don't think it's so simple to draw a distinction between a "fast food restaurant CEO who thinks gays shouldn't marry" and woman's suffrage and "intolerance shown toward African Americans" or any other large social issue. It is the sentiments of individuals such as Mr. Cathy that fuel larger movements against certain groups of people, so responding to an influential activist like him seems reasonable to me.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:40 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
TWhat you people fail to realize, because you are deficient in your knowledge of history, is that the danger from these nutballs is very..VERY real. It has happened before, and can easily happen again. The very fact that there are state's where a gay person can lose their job due to their sexual identity is appalling.
I think it should be pointed out that you must be deficient in your knowlege of history if you think mayors or other elected officials should be allowed to flex the power of their office to hinder a private business within their jurisdiction from participating in a legal, commercial venture, simply because said official does not agree with the business owner's political beliefs.

I suggest you research the Jewish experience in pre-war Nazi Germany for a strong lesson in what that can lead to. Google Kristallnacht for a great starting point.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:47 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
So just so everyone is clear, a private-party boycott is not a First Amendment violation.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:48 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,224,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
1. At the end of the day, most of us could care less what you do or who you do it with, we have our own lives to live and enjoy.
Ironically, I think this is actually what they are asking for, so it would be nice if it was actually true.

Instead, there is concerted action to demonize their lifestyle and prevent legal recognition (and the attendant benefits) of relationships that are intended to be lifelong commitments equivalent to heterosexual marriages.

There are constant appeals to religious beliefs to justify this. Religion has nothing to do with legal marriage in this country, so why is religion being invoked to determine a state matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh