Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 11:07 AM

270 posts, read 341,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
This may be the funniest post on this thread. Thanks! Speaking in code? ha, ha, ha, that is a hoot!

Here is where a small portion of Chick Fil A's money goes. Seems so many are anti children these days I guess. WOW!!!

Background:
S. Truett Cathy, founder and chairman of Chick-fil-A, Inc., first opened his heart and home to children more than 30 years ago. Since then, his desire to inspire young people continues to grow.

Because of his interest in the growth and education of young people, Truett established the WinShape Foundation in 1984. His goal: to help "shape winners."

Located on the campus of Berry College in Rome, Ga., the foundation supports WinShape Homes®, WinShape RetreatSM, WinShape MarriageSM, WinShape Camps®, WinShape® College Program, WinShape® Wilderness and WinShape International.

WinShape Homes:

WinShape Homes was created to provide a nurturing home to those children who are victims of circumstance and need a secure family environment in which to grow and mature. Truett built this program to give children a chance to reach their potential with the encouragement and support of a loving and caring family.

Through the WinShape Homes program, a natural home environment is established with two full-time parents who offer the security and stability every child deserves. Sibling groups that might otherwise have been separated and adopted are able to live together.

Currently, there are 11 WinShape Homes (eight in Georgia, two in Tennessee and one in Alabama).

While many situations require children to leave and be on their own at age 18, WinShape Homes encourages and supports college attendance or vocational training, as well as a continued relationship with their parents and family. Even after graduation, children are always invited to enjoy holidays and special occasions with their WinShape® family.

WinShape Homes also benefits from the Chick-fil-A Bowl, noted as the leading bowl in charitable giving. WinShape Homes has received nearly $3.5 million since becoming a Chick-fil-A Bowl beneficiary in 1998.

I think its great that Dan Cathy donates a lot of money to these causes. That still doesn't erase the fact that he donates as much or more of his money to hate groups. Sorry. I can't pick how much of my Chick Fil A dollar goes toward what cause, so I prefer not to buy, as apparently many others do.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:54 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,678 times
Lightbulb In The Immortal Words Of Smokey Robinson...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
The fact that you used this phrase undermines any other points you might make. Seriously, "invading...intestinal tracts?" Who the hell says that? Would you describe the exact same act with my girlfriend the same way? "Yeah, I invaded the wife's intestinal tract last night!"

Back to Dan Cathy...the guy is ridiculous. I don't pay any attention to people whom utilize phrases like "shake our fists at God" in their attempt at explaining how other people should run their lives. These are the same people that think dinosaurs roamed the Earth 5,000 years ago.
I second that emotion...as I said in an earlier post here, I respect Mr Cathy's right to say what he said, equally as much as I respect the rights of those who disagree with his stance to speak THEIR minds as well...

But that 'intestinal tract' remark? I may be speaking outta school here, but that just smacked of some frat-boy macho-wannabe mouth-flapping...

I would pay good money to see him repeat that word-for-word out loud in the presence of some of the more 'physically buff and broad-beamed' members of the gay-male community---Inside Edition would have a field day...

I can see the promo now---NEXT ONLY ON INSIDE EDITION!!! MAN MOUTHS OFF TO WRONG PEOPLE AND GETS HIS HEAD JAMMED INTO HIS 3RD POINT OF CONTACT!!!

Old 08-07-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
Back to Dan Cathy...the guy is ridiculous. I don't pay any attention to people whom utilize phrases like "shake our fists at God" in their attempt at explaining how other people should run their lives. These are the same people that think dinosaurs roamed the Earth 5,000 years ago.
Hey, those paleontologists are shaking their fists at God when they uncover those blasphemous dinosaur remains!

Old 08-07-2012, 02:11 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,983 times
"but that just smacked of some frat-boy macho-wannabe mouth-flapping..."

But, this is the mentality of the religious right.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:33 PM

716 posts, read 765,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post

If gays themselves are not strongly supportive of traditional marriage, then how can they support gay marriage, if they don't believe in marriage or support it at all? Doesn't add up. If they really were genuine they would strongly back people like Dan Cathy. Instead they trash people that have wives and raise their children.
In what Fox News based version of reality does this happen on any sort of large-scale basis, if at all?

I think you're missing the point here. For most, the idea of same-sex marriage is about all tax-paying US citizens having equal protections under the law and receiving the rights and benefits that all committed couples receive, which they currently do not- at all in most states. Religions are free to marry whomever they want. No one should be condescending to anyone's idea of a "traditional marriage." Religious freedom is what this country is supposed to be all about. This is a civil issue and it's blatantly obvious that all of our citizens are not currently protected equally under the law. Therein lies the heart of the issue.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:04 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvdog View Post
I think its great that Dan Cathy donates a lot of money to these causes. That still doesn't erase the fact that he donates as much or more of his money to hate groups. Sorry. I can't pick how much of my Chick Fil A dollar goes toward what cause, so I prefer not to buy, as apparently many others do.
Stop falling for the nonsense media crap. They give money for kids in that charity I posted. The "hate group" stuff is from people saying that kid oriented charity supposedly supports some so-called "hate group". What is a "hate group" anyway? That Catholic Church? Seems people love to... well not like to compare all of this to that church. Why? Scared there are so many Catholics and people won't receive it well? Anyway as you can clearly see, Chick Fil A is giving for kids AND they give their employees off Sundays. Seems they are doing great and I wish more companies would give people off a day a week. Sadly we all have to agressively shop and whatever on Sunday. Goodness knows we can't just shut everything down that day. Oh, Chick does though. Good for them to buck the trend. Good for them to provide for kids that most certainly need it.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:18 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,085 times
They also fired women for being pregnant and told them they were supposed to stay home with their kids. Which I guess is family-friendly, sort of, except for the whole not-having-a-roof-over-their-head part.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:18 PM

423 posts, read 1,237,660 times
There are constantly comments about Mr. Cathy funding "hate groups", but so far I haven't read anyone's post identifying any of them. Exactly - by name - who are these hate groups?

Old 08-07-2012, 03:23 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billscamaros View Post
There are constantly comments about Mr. Cathy funding "hate groups", but so far I haven't read anyone's post identifying any of them. Exactly - by name - who are these hate groups?
Google would tell you Exodus and the Family Research Council, according to the SPLC.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Stop falling for the nonsense media crap. They give money for kids in that charity I posted. The "hate group" stuff is from people saying that kid oriented charity supposedly supports some so-called "hate group". What is a "hate group" anyway? That Catholic Church? Seems people love to... well not like to compare all of this to that church. Why? Scared there are so many Catholics and people won't receive it well? Anyway as you can clearly see, Chick Fil A is giving for kids AND they give their employees off Sundays. Seems they are doing great and I wish more companies would give people off a day a week. Sadly we all have to agressively shop and whatever on Sunday. Goodness knows we can't just shut everything down that day. Oh, Chick does though. Good for them to buck the trend. Good for them to provide for kids that most certainly need it.

Did you even read my post? Where did I criticize their policy of giving employees Sunday off or imply that the child-oriented charity you mentioned was a hate group? Nowhere. In fact I said it was great that he was helping kids.

When I cite "hate groups" I am specifically referring to the Family Research Council, National Institute for Marriage, and The Marriage and Family Foundation. In 2010 alone Cathy gave a total of 1.2 million dollars to these groups. That's quite a bit more than the $318,000 he gave to Winshape, the charity you brought up so that you could put Cathy on a pedestal of virtue. Seems he cares more about preventing gay rights than helping kids.

Oops. The truth hurts, doesn't it? And by the way, in the midst of all your ranting at me you seem to have forgotten that the intent of my post was to explain to the people like you on this thread why many people are choosing not to eat at Chick Fil A- it's not about what Dan Cathy said, it's about where the money you spend at his restaurant is going. That has nothing to do with the Catholic Church, as the Catholic Church is not selling chicken sandwiches and donating a portion of the proceeds to the 3 foundations I mentioned.

Last edited by Garvdog; 08-07-2012 at 04:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh