Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 08:14 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,965,362 times

Advertisements

This is going to be a textbook case on how corporations should not get involved, make statements, or have their CEO get on a soap box on topics that are too controversial. Forever more, Chick Fil-A will be associated with controversy, and that's the last thing any company should ever want.

Unfortunately, it's still culturally OK to spout views like this against gay people, just as it was in the 1950s to be racist. It's going to take a while for the culture to shift, but it's shifted draftically already in the last few years. No company today would be proud, or have their CEO boasting that they contributed to the National Association for the Advancement of White People (yes, such an organization exists, believe it or not). Even if they did it under the guise of "free speech." Just because it's free doesn't make it right.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:18 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neckbeard89 View Post
What would you guys be mad about if this Chicken Sandwich place didn't exist? Is this the thing distracting you from staging a war protest? You call others bigots but seem to be the ones with hate in your hearts. I'll pray for you.
This post, to me, is a perfect and succinct example of what passes for an ethos in the modern, christianist worldview. You think it's about a chicken sandwich not intollerence? Really? Wars are, seemingly by default, good, but in the next sentence you claim to denounce hate in your heart. Then the sanctimonious coup-de-gras, the offer to pray for another's soul. As for me, feel free to pray for me or not, makes absolutely no difference.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:18 AM

6,341 posts, read 11,087,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
This is going to be a textbook case on how corporations should not get involved, make statements, or have their CEO get on a soap box on topics that are too controversial. Forever more, Chick Fil-A will be associated with controversy, and that's the last thing any company should ever want.

Unfortunately, it's still culturally OK to spout views like this against gay people, just as it was in the 1950s to be racist. It's going to take a while for the culture to shift, but it's shifted draftically already in the last few years. No company today would be proud, or have their CEO boasting that they contributed to the National Association for the Advancement of White People (yes, such an organization exists, believe it or not). Even if they did it under the guise of "free speech." Just because it's free doesn't make it right.

First. to address your comments. In radio some people love to create controversy because it apparently sells or they believe it will. Perhaps this guy at Chicken Licken' thinks the same thing.

To the others. I have had to deal with bigotry in the KC region over the years. Some of these morons "thought" or may still think I'm gay but I'm not. And I've also had to deal with bigotry by other cretins that don't like people that hail from east of the MS River. Others "thought" I was from NY. I'm not. Lot's of those dopes around here.

Just ignore them and go on with life. You don't have to do business with them if you don't want to and you don't even have to talk to them. This is precisely how I live my life here. I will no longer shop or do business at some places in the KC area and tolerate the others. And when I am able to move I know that I will be going to an area where I will have few if any of these problems.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:23 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Can you say Racketeering? Precisely what these Mayors are calling for in this case. Kid's, this is illegal.

I don't eat at this place and probably never will. The First Amendment protects the owner's freedom of speech whether you like it or not just as it protects your own views. If I let politics get in the way of my shopping and eating, I'd have very few places to choose from at least in the local area where I live.

Dershowitz: Anti-Chick-fil-A Mayors 'Showing Terrible Intolerance'
It's not illegal or even reprehensible until, absent evidence of actual discrimination or discriminatory policies, the Mayors take affirmative steps to block Chik Fil A's legitimate business interests. For now, they're just using their bully pulpit and representing the views of the majority of their constituents. Sounds like good politics.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:27 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:

Just ignore them and go on with life. You don't have to do business with them if you don't want to and you don't even have to talk to them.
Wish more people would just say this. Simple. If you don't like a restaurant saying they are against gay marriage, like the Catholic Religion, then don't go there. What more should be said.

As far as publicity, I don't think this will hurt Chick Fil A one bit. Most people could care less about all that crap if they want a chicken sandwich. Sort of like most people don't care about socializing with Catholics just because they don't believe in gay marriage. Means very little to MOST people. The subject is silly and meaningless. Any mayor including our own that are "taking a stance" are idiots. If you say that, maybe they should ask Luke what do you think of the Catholic's not recognizing gay marriage and see what he says? Would be interesting and I hope he is publicly asked that question. Good luck Luke.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:36 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,836 times
People don't understand what free speech is. The government can't jail or persecute you for unpopular views. That's it. People who disagree with your speech are free to speak out against it, as well as to organize boycotts and such.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:42 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Hey, I don't see these rednecks out supporting the Klan's right to assemble Downtown. The worst type of bigot is one that hides behind the platform of free speech.
I would hope everyone would support the Klan's right to assemble, and then promptly exercise their own right to ignore them.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
It's not illegal or even reprehensible until, absent evidence of actual discrimination or discriminatory policies, the Mayors take affirmative steps to block Chik Fil A's legitimate business interests. For now, they're just using their bully pulpit and representing the views of the majority of their constituents. Sounds like good politics.
How do they discriminate agains their patrons? Last I knew anyone could purchase a product at this restaurant. And, I suspect they probably have hired gay people to work at some of these stores. I've never heard anyone file a discrimination complaint stating they were not hired because of their sexual orientation. All the owner said was that he believes marriage is between a man and woman, not a homosexual couple. He didn't say they would not hire someone that is gay or not serve someone that is gay.

And yes, this behavior by these Mayors is illegal. You cannot use the power of office to air your personal gripes and vendettas and then proceed to block a business from doing business based upon personal feelings. Sounds like Fascism to me.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:47 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
How do they discriminate agains their patrons....
I don't believe the poster claimed such

Old 08-03-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I don't believe the poster claimed such
Precisely my point. But the Mayors are discriminating against a company that has no visible anti gay policy by actively BULLYING them and trying to put them out of business.

This is pathetic. This country is in serious trouble with major problems and all that people can talk about is this stupid issue. We are on the brink of a world war in the Middle East with China and Russia allied with Syria and Iran. Our military has been shredded since Reagan left office and now we can only fight a major war on one front, not two. Europe is about on the brink of a total economic collapse which in turn will take down the USA within weeks or months after their fall because the economies are inexorably intertwined thanks to Globalist economic policy. Electricity rates are doing to double or triple in the next couple of years after dozens of coal fired power plants are going to shut down around the country. I could go on and on but this is likely not to wake up very many people. Instead they'd rather talk about something trivial about a chicken restaurant owner's personal social beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh