Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 06:38 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,088,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Except that gay people are a minority. Also, I wouldn't bet that the majority of people support gay rights, although I would be happy if that was the case.
You'd lose:
Support for Gay Marriage Outweighs Opposition in Polls - NYTimes.com

And the greater and more direct point ins that the majority of their constituents, within Chicago or Boston or even Pittsburgh would clearly support gay rights.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:48 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,698,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
You'd lose:
Support for Gay Marriage Outweighs Opposition in Polls - NYTimes.com

And the greater and more direct point ins that the majority of their constituents, within Chicago or Boston or even Pittsburgh would clearly support gay rights.
I suggest you check on the California Prop 8, especially the demographic make up of the vote. This is one thing I love about the Gay marriage debate, it puts Libs in a awkward position. For all of the hand wringing about Chik-fil-a and the right wing, Blacks and Latinos tends to be the strongest anti-gay marriage block outside of evangelical Christians. So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:18 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,088,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
I suggest you check on the California Prop 8, especially the demographic make up of the vote. This is one thing I love about the Gay marriage debate, it puts Libs in a awkward position. For all of the hand wringing about Chik-fil-a and the right wing, Blacks and Latinos tends to be the strongest anti-gay marriage block outside of evangelical Christians. So put that in your pipe and smoke it.
Four years has made a huge difference. Polling suggests several states will vote for marriage equality in the coming year. The ethnic differences are being mitigated as well, especially after the President finally allowed his conscience to dictate his public position on the issue:
Maryland Marriage Equality Poll Shows Increased Support From African-American Voters

In this particualr issue, bigots are dying off faster than you can replace them. It's a question of when, not if, and your grandkids won't understand what all the fuss was about.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:30 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,581,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Now chickfila is being compared to a terrororist organization. Little did I know that when I was ordering a chicken sandwich I was actually in danger of being blown up by some kid in a suicide bomb vest

Terrorist...patriot...warrior for god...

Depends on your perspective. I suggest you research these groups that Chick Fil A has donated money to, what they represent, and get back to me with your thoughts on whether the comparison is valid. From everything I've read it is.

They support groups that condone and support other institutions that murder and persecute homosexuals throughout the world. This is documented fact. Do not delude yourself into believing that they wouldn't attempt to perpetuate the same type of environment in this country if given the chance. Odds are many of the people on this board were born during an age where it was possible for someone to kill a black person in the south and get away with it quite easily. Its happened before, history has shown that we can regress as a culture, and do so for a long time.

I want to like Chick Fil A. I want to support them because they provide outstanding service. I want to support them because they respect their employees enough to give them at least one weekend day off a week. As a former chef who left that trade to be a father I can't tell you how much that means to me to see a business...any business in that industry respect the lives and the families of their employees in that fashion. I want to be Chick Fil A's biggest fan. What if my daughter decides at some point that she's gay? Am I supposed to ostrasize her? Tell her she's confused? Turn her over to certain christian groups who want to "fix" her?

NO. What do I do if some a-hole harasses her for who she is? What would you do if it were your kids?

I want to like Chick Fil A, but I can't. I cannot support an organization that gives money to hate groups. I cannot support that brand of stupidity lest I allow it to thrive.

I genuinely liked the Peace, Love and Little Donuts guy in the strip. I took dozens of people to experience his shop, but all that ended after he couldn't keep his fundamentalist christian insanity in check (if you don't believe me look up his blog....nuts). I can't support hate, whether its a local business owner that harasses gay customers or a national chain with a bigot as the CEO.

What you people fail to realize, because you are deficient in your knowledge of history, is that the danger from these nutballs is very..VERY real. It has happened before, and can easily happen again. The very fact that there are state's where a gay person can lose their job due to their sexual identity is appalling.

...and who are they hurting? What happens if we allow gay people to have the same rights as we do?

NOTHING.

Not one thing. The thing that I find the most disturbing is that on this particular issue Christians aren't even following the word of CHRIST. Jesus never commented on homosexuality, the old testament did. I submit that the homophobes who are anti gay marraige aren't even Christian. How can you be when you are in violation of all of his teachings?

Old 08-03-2012, 08:06 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,103,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Well obviously that wouldn't fly since mainstream Americans can belittle, degrade, and marginalize homosexuals as much as they'd like under the guise of "free speech" while doing the same towards any other minority group would be strongly frowned upon. Gays are the scapegoats for so many problems in this country.
That is truer of Christians, straight white males, and conservatives. For any other group, it is a big stink and gets this kind of media coverage we see now. I mean really, you can make a movie or TV show portraying christian straight white conservative males in the most negative light or more commonly...as the "bad" guys...and media will not question it. Portray any other group, it would be grounds for a major congressional investigation.

Last edited by MathmanMathman; 08-03-2012 at 08:32 PM..

Old 08-03-2012, 08:07 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,698,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Four years has made a huge difference. Polling suggests several states will vote for marriage equality in the coming year. The ethnic differences are being mitigated as well, especially after the President finally allowed his conscience to dictate his public position on the issue:
Maryland Marriage Equality Poll Shows Increased Support From African-American Voters

In this particualr issue, bigots are dying off faster than you can replace them. It's a question of when, not if, and your grandkids won't understand what all the fuss was about.
That, or you'll put them in a re-education camp to make them think the way you want. Your view of the world makes you think you have the right to impose your will, and it is just as bad as any clansman or brown shirt.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:11 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,841,904 times
All this talk about Chick Fil A... Uggghh, I am going to get one very soon. Never been to the one at Pitt. Guess I could try it out. I usually would go to the one at the Waterfront. It has always been good. Like I said, I just go for the chicken sandwich, nothing else. If I am really hungry I get two!! lol Man they are good and much better than any other ff place for chicken sandwiches. I prefer McDonald's fries though. Course I so rarely eat that stuff. Maybe 3 or 4 times a year. If Chick Fil A was in walking distance like Wendy's and Taco Bell... Ouch that wouldn't be good. I might get there at least once a month or so. Love those things.

This whole topic is a joke if you ask me. Who cares?

Old 08-03-2012, 08:26 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,103,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
They support groups that condone and support other institutions that murder and persecute homosexuals throughout the world. This is documented fact. Do not delude yourself into believing that they wouldn't attempt to perpetuate the same type of environment in this country if given the chance. Odds are many of the people on this board were born during an age where it was possible for someone to kill a black person in the south and get away with it quite easily. Its happened before, history has shown that we can regress as a culture, and do so for a long time.
What groups does Chik-fil-A support that murder homosexuals?

Quote:
What you people fail to realize, because you are deficient in your knowledge of history, is that the danger from these nutballs is very..VERY real. It has happened before, and can easily happen again. The very fact that there are state's where a gay person can lose their job due to their sexual identity is appalling.
What states allow this?

Quote:
...and who are they hurting? What happens if we allow gay people to have the same rights as we do?

NOTHING.
This is what Dan Cathy said:
Quote:
“we’re inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say we know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage. And I pray God’s mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude that thinks we have the audacity to redefine what marriage is all about.”
He was speaking out on a radio program according to his faith. I don't believe he was stating company policy, just his own beliefs. You and others can certainly choose not to patronize Chik-fil-A but it looks to me as if he adheres to Christian orthodoxy.

Quote:
Not one thing. The thing that I find the most disturbing is that on this particular issue Christians aren't even following the word of CHRIST. Jesus never commented on homosexuality, the old testament did. I submit that the homophobes who are anti gay marraige aren't even Christian. How can you be when you are in violation of all of his teachings?
What exactly is the word of Christ you alluding to? I don't think Jesus refuted the Old Testament. Jesus said that he did not come to change the law (the Old Testagment) but to fulfill it.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:00 PM

9,321 posts, read 12,939,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
Terrorist...patriot...warrior for god...

Depends on your perspective. I suggest you research these groups that Chick Fil A has donated money to, what they represent, and get back to me with your thoughts on whether the comparison is valid. From everything I've read it is.

I want to like Chick Fil A. I want to support them because they provide outstanding service. I want to support them because they respect their employees enough to give them at least one weekend day off a week. As a former chef who left that trade to be a father I can't tell you how much that means to me to see a business...any business in that industry respect the lives and the families of their employees in that fashion. I want to be Chick Fil A's biggest fan. What if my daughter decides at some point that she's gay? Am I supposed to ostrasize her? Tell her she's confused? Turn her over to certain christian groups who want to "fix" her?

NO. What do I do if some a-hole harasses her for who she is? What would you do if it were your kids?

I want to like Chick Fil A, but I can't. I cannot support an organization that gives money to hate groups. I cannot support that brand of stupidity lest I allow it to thrive.

I genuinely liked the Peace, Love and Little Donuts guy in the strip. I took dozens of people to experience his shop, but all that ended after he couldn't keep his fundamentalist christian insanity in check (if you don't believe me look up his blog....nuts). I can't support hate, whether its a local business owner that harasses gay customers or a national chain with a bigot as the CEO.

NOTHING.

I am a wholehearted supporter of gay rights and in no way condone Dan Cathy's statements, but this is a bunch of hyperbolic nonsense.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:12 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,052,760 times
I remember the first time I ate at Chik-Fil-A, because everyone just gushed about it. A cold, dry, fried chicken patty with a pickle on a bun. Chik-Fil-A is McDonalds with a clever advertising campaign, just as much as Target is a Walmart with a clever advertising campaign. And there's absolutely no difference between Qdoba and Chipotle except (once again) for their advertising campaigns. The trouble with Chik-Fil-A is that the target group that buys so readily into shallow advertising is the one it's pissing off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh