Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 03:24 PM

20 posts, read 44,082 times

Advertisements

Is that going to cost me on getting an apartment with a roommate? I had a credit card, but my mother was using transactions and I just found out about it due to them constantly calling me for payments. I had no idea what they were talking about.

Would this harm me? I'll be living in the Beaver County area. I hope it doesn't because it'd ruin my life lol.

Would there be ways to get around this? If so, what? Would it matter if my roommate and I had the first months rent and a security deposit already for them to take?

Thanks for all answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 03:26 PM

20 posts, read 44,082 times
Some more background:

My roommate and I are young kids trying to get our first apartment. I'm going to be 23 and he's going to be 20.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
With the smaller landlords, you can often negotiate by offering extra months of rent for security.

Utility companies will also require security deposits so make sure you have enough saved before looking.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:11 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
What is your roommate's situation? You can do things like have a parent guarantee your rent payments. Maybe that is an option for your roommate.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:12 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
yeah, i'd look into individual landlords rather than management companies. they're much more likely to hear you out (and some don't even check your credit anyway, although it's becoming more and more common). don't just look on craigslist - look for ads in the newspaper and pennysaver and for rent signs in windows. that's how you find more old-fashioned landlords who don't do credit checks.

you should definitely work on repairing your credit asap even though it isn't your fault. your mom should be ashamed of herself - she has really screwed you over. life is much more expensive and difficult with poor credit even if you're not trying to get loans. as hopes said, you might need to put down a deposit for utilities. car insurance is more expensive as well, and employers often do credit checks before hiring.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:24 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,228,484 times
What groar said is good advice. From my experience, renting is a good way to patch up your credit. I have always paid my rent within the first few days of the month. That was not always the case with other creditors when I got in over my head with credit cards when I was younger. If I had only $600.00 to my name at the beginning of the month when my bills were due, but $1000.00 in bills, I, like most people, would give the landlord his/her $500.00 first before I would sit down and write the other bills. Most people want to at least have a roof over their head to deal with the other bills that they have. Landlords understand this. Management companies will not only do a credit check, they will also do an income to rent ratio. Somebody might have great credit, but may not be able to afford that flat on Granview Avenue with spectacular skyline views. Individual landlords are more likely to give a person a chance if they seem sincere.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:55 PM

225 posts, read 299,698 times
I've never had a credit check done on me for a rental, the concept is weird to me.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:31 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,228,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB&J O'Rourke View Post
I've never had a credit check done on me for a rental, the concept is weird to me.
If you are have or ever will try to rent a higher end place, you will at least have them check your income. Not just anybody is going to be able to move into that flat on the Upper West Side without some sort of verification of income.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:18 PM

429 posts, read 653,911 times
I rented a little 10x12 studio in a old dilapidated building with a murphy bed and closet to the side that had a sink and toilet. They didn't check my credit.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:41 PM

783 posts, read 2,021,320 times
When you get into more rural areas, like Beaver County, many will not check your credit. If they do check your credit, it will just be to see if you have any prior judgements from apt complexes. They wouldn't want some deadbeat that was evicted for not paying rent, obviously. Your biggest obstacle in these more rural areas will be your age. Many landlords will raise an eyebrow and assume you don't have a stable job or might be throwing parties there, etc. Meet with the landlord, act classy and professional, bring with you a copy of your paycheck. If your gross monthly income is close to 3Xs the monthly rent and you seem like a sensible person, most landlords will give you a shot. You may not get the specific apt that you want though. You might have to go to 3 or 4 different places, but eventually you will be given a shot. Also, if you have money saved up, tell the landlord that you're willing to pay 6 months rent up front, or something like that. Obviously, this has drawbacks for you if your landlord is crazy and the apt sucks, because they you have to go after them for your money....but it will certainly make you look responsible and probably guarantee your apt. Pittsburgh is pretty easy to get a lease compared to other cities. Beaver County should be even easier. It's going to all be about your personality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh