Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 08:00 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times

Advertisements

it's an increase in the average sales price rather than a 12% increase in existing home value. the sale price is influenced by the types of homes, the blurb doesn't give you enough information to know what, exactly, is happening. a larger than usual sale of new homes could influence this. fewer homes selling in "cheap" neighborhoods could also cause this.
Quote:
[LEFT]The average home sale price in the 13-county region served by West Penn Multi-List increased nearly 12 percent from $171,995 to $192,505 from July 2011 to July 2012.
[LEFT]

: Business news briefs: Region's home price, sales rise 12% from year ago - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette[/LEFT]

Last edited by pman; 08-08-2012 at 09:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 08:12 AM

65 posts, read 123,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
it's an increase in the average sales price rather than a 12% increase in existing home value. the sale price is influenced by the types of homes, the blurb doesn't give you enough information to know what, exactly, is happening. a larger than usual sale of new homes could influence this. fewer homes selling in "cheap" neighborhoods could also cause this
I was thinking it could also be homes that use to sell "cheap" no longer are, but homes that sold for 200k haven't really seen a price difference. Boats don't all rise equally with the tide?

Old 08-08-2012, 08:20 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
A friend just bought a new house and he was amazed at how prices in Point Breeze have gone through the roof. He also relayed to me that his realtor told him that the prices have gone down in Fox Chapel and the South Side.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:21 AM

799 posts, read 1,290,159 times
Default Just a Blip?

Old 08-08-2012, 08:29 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
An increase in the average sale price means just that...it could mean houses in certain areas went up but there are probably areas where house values went down. It doesn't automatically mean your house is worth 12% more no matter what. They could go up on the street next to you but stay the same on yours. Washington County has had a fair amount of development in the past 5 years and nice houses that sell under 200k are everywhere.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:29 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,354 times
Yes. One particular data point, with no context, with no breakdown by neighborhood or price point, without the context of amount of inventory on the market or a large increase in local population, is a blip. That is what I was referring to. I wasn't making any pronouncements about the state of the real estate market, I was saying that the single data point which started this thread is by itself not enough to draw any conclusions off of.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:35 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
An increase in the average sale price means just that...it could mean houses in certain areas went up but there are probably areas where house values went down. It doesn't automatically mean your house is worth 12% more no matter what. They could go up on the street next to you but stay the same on yours. Washington County has had a lot of development in the past 5 years and nice houses that sell under 200k are everywhere.
I suspect a majority of the increase is in rural counties since the study considers 13 counties in the region. I've been looking at houses in the farther counties, not the immediate surrounding counties. There's not much available and prices are higher than expected. The gas drilling has caused a demand in the rural areas.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:55 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I wish I could get my husband interested in renovating old houses. He has the skill but no interest whatsoever.
I'll bet there are other people out there like that too.

One of the theoretical positives about robust price increases is it should encourage more such people to come off the sidelines. However, I think the attitude you stated above is typical these days, and quite reasonable: with the national bust still so prominent in people's minds, unusually high appreciation in recent months may cause as much concern as it does incentive.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:06 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattejb View Post
I was thinking it could also be homes that use to sell "cheap" no longer are, but homes that sold for 200k haven't really seen a price difference. Boats don't all rise equally with the tide?
absolutely, in fact, that theory probably fits better given the rise in volume...although a few sales of expensive homes can skew data upward (think $2 millon homes or condos).

Old 08-08-2012, 09:09 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
On the meaning of this statistic:

I agree (as I implicitly did in the OP) that you have to be careful about your assumptions when looking at monthly data like this. As others above have pointed out, it is subject to shifts in housing mix, and it is also subject to variable seasonal affects, policy changes, rate changes, just regular statistical noise, and so on. And, of course, it is correct that you can't impute an average sales price increase to the value of every single home in the region (although in the long run, there should be a convergence between sales price trends and the market values of marketable homes in any given location).

That said, this is not in fact the first such month we have seen lately. June was equally astounding:

Southwestern Pennsylvania Home Prices and Sales Sizzle, Inventory Lags in June -- PITTSBURGH, July 5, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --

Quote:
In the 13-county region served by the West Penn Multi-List, Inc. the number of residential homes placed under agreement increased 18.56 percent (3,955 homes versus 3,336) in June 2012 versus June 2011, while average home sale price increased 12.97 percent ($194,500 versus $172,177).
That release also looked at the whole first half of the year:

Quote:
Additionally, for the first six months of 2012 versus the same period in 2011, the West Penn Multi-List, Inc. reports improvements in the number of homes placed under agreement, new listings and average sale price. The number of homes placed under agreement increased 14.99 percent (19,832 homes versus 17,246); new listings increased 1.48 percent (19,972 homes versus 19,681); and average home sale price increased 7.97 percent ($167,083 versus $154,748).
Again, I'm not trying to push a panic button, but this is in fact more than just a one-month blip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh