Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:23 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,846,089 times

Advertisements

This could be huge for jobs in the Burgh....From what I'm hearing around the watercooler PNC wants a stronger presence in the NY market as well as to strengthen is brand in DC market which buying Capital One Retail Branches will give them both. As well Capital One as a significant TX presence as well that would bring PNC there.

A lot of my NJ co-workers bank with PNC but like me wishes they had more ATM and branches within NYC...

PNC is well on its way to becoming one of the Nationally recognized Big Boy in the leagues of BofA, Chase, Citi, and Wells Fargo, this could be good or bad either way you look at it. Only thing area left for PNC obtain would be a West Coast Presence.

Let's see if this happens, probably wont hear an announcement until sometime in late 2012- early 2013

Edit: The more I think about the more I can seriously see this happening...Capital One seems to want to position its self as more of a Credit play and less focused on Retail Banking.....with there buyout of ING any retail banking they do will be all Online...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 09:37 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,806,722 times
It does seem to make sense that Capital One would seek an exit from retail banking... and their footprint would fit in perfectly.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:19 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,857,468 times
The "areas served" part of this shows why Evergrey is correct about the footprints:

PNC Bank vs Capital One in Banks

Old 09-11-2012, 08:15 AM

Business Briefs: PNC not seeking mergers or acquisitions right now - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Quote:
PNC not seeking mergers or acquisitions right now

PNC Financial Services Group, which acquired about 400 bank branches in the Southeast from Royal Bank of Canada in March, is not interested in more mergers or acquisitions, Chairman and CEO James Rohr said Monday. Because of the potential for internal growth, "We have little or no interest in using our capital for M&A at this time," Mr. Rohr said during a financial services conference hosted by Barclays in New York City.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:42 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,590,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The "areas served" part of this shows why Evergrey is correct about the footprints:

PNC Bank vs Capital One in Banks
Interesting. PNC serves MANY more areas than Capital One. I always thought Capital One was bigger.

I was pleased to discover there are PNC banches at Ocean City when I needed make a cash withdrawl that exceeded the daily ATM limit.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Interesting. PNC serves MANY more areas than Capital One. I always thought Capital One was bigger.

I was pleased to discover there are PNC banches at Ocean City when I needed make a cash withdrawl that exceeded the daily ATM limit.
Capital One is a strange company. It's known for its credit cards... which have been distributed nationally. It only got into retail banking in 2005 by acquiring a few regional banks... hence its small retail banking footprint. It was an attempt to diversify its lines of business from just credit cards.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Capital One is a strange company. It's known for its credit cards... which have been distributed nationally. It only got into retail banking in 2005 by acquiring a few regional banks... hence its small retail banking footprint. It was an attempt to diversify its lines of business from just credit cards.
Thanks. That clarifies my confusion perfectly.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:29 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,846,089 times
That could be just a cover......Of Course I would expect anything in immediate future as PNC is still handing the expansion in GA and FL...

But from the whispers around the Watercooler Capital One is definitely on the radar for PNC, and the talks have been on going since before PNC took over RBC. Capital One definitely wants out of Retail Banking, even PNC doesn't pick them up, US Bank might be the counter.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:42 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,941,428 times
I was surprised to see PNC advertising in Miller Park during the last Bucs series. Doesn't seem all that long ago when they were mostly just PA/NJ.

I hope they continue their success as my wife's PNC pension is an integral part of our retirement!

Old 09-11-2012, 01:51 PM

The watercooler isn't always right. PNC might have briefly entertained the idea when approached, then quickly discarded it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh