Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 07:38 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,630,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I can't believe I'm posting this since it's Curtis, of all people! Yes black people can and are cops. BUT they are rarely hired by the affluent suburbs. It's sad but true. Just like there are very, very few black teachers hired to work in the suburban school districts, very few black police officers are employed by the suburban police forces. If an area is predominantly white, the odds of a black police officer working there is well below 1%. Granted, I'm talking about local police forces. If the DEA were chasing Curtis through Fox Chapel, the chances of them being minorities probably increases.

That said, I totally disagree with Curtis on everything else he said in this thread. I was shocked the jury was dead locked on the remaining two counts. Not a good sign. But that doesn't necessarily mean the next jury will acquit. It can still go either way.
But I think the analogy is perfect as the scenario adds so much uncertainty about the legitimacy of them being good cops and not out to harm. This uncertainty, is something Jordan likely felt and responded too with a flight response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 08:07 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,672,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
Actually it should be a slam dunk case. There is nothing in Miles's reported behavior
Operative phrase is "REPORTED BEHAVIOR".

I'm still certain no one on this forum was there when this incident occurred.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:09 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsey86 View Post
But I think the analogy is perfect as the scenario adds so much uncertainty about the legitimacy of them being good cops and not out to harm. This uncertainty, is something Jordan likely felt and responded too with a flight response.
I agree. I NEVER pull over for unmarked police cars. I have no idea if it's some freak out to hurt me. Plain clothed police are the same thing. Just as anyone can have a police light on their dash board, anyone can yell "Police!" I wouldn't take the chance. I think it's crazy people think Jordan should have risked it. Curtis "stand your ground" comment made me laugh. He wouldn't stand his ground if he were being chased by a group of "shady looking characters" of any race. I vividly recall him posting about TAKING OFF when he thought he was in danger before.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:23 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,672,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky40 View Post
Not complete bad example. With the exception of calling them thugs and dressing like thugs, if 3 "undercover" officers who were black tried to stop a person who is white in Fox Chapel, that person might also run. Why? Well, you said it in your bias response: "you would be/could be certain that they aren't police." But you are not certain, and that is the bias held against individuals who are black and male. They are criminals, gang members and thugs first.
I'm 100 percent certain there are no large African American police officers patrollling Fox Chapel, uniformed or incognito.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:36 AM

14,361 posts, read 16,879,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Usually you will not beat the trained professionals. In this case the train people are cops. Therefore, I would never say, I understand why he ran. It is obvious not to run. Sort of like confronting a mean Pit Bull. Running isn't an option. Stand your ground and see. Run? Get bitten.
Actually, enough cops on the beat are out of shape that you stand a pretty good chance of outrunning them. IIRC, some cities have made fitness training mandatory for cops, because they were drawing their guns and shooting those fleeing a scene of a crime because they lacked the energy to chase them down.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:12 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times
Remember Chief Nathan Harper, a 29-year veteran of the Pittsburgh Bureau of Police is the top dog in the city. For some reason people want to whine about police being white or whatever. Chief Harper is black, if for some reason that would make a difference. I don't think anyone would argue his credentials and his great dedicated service to the city. I don't think Chief Harper is going to allow his team to be out of line. I would trust him to weed out troublemakers within the City's Police Department if need be. I have met him. I don't think I would want to be out of line in if I worked for him.

Pittsburgh Bureau of Police*·*About the Bureau

Old 08-09-2012, 01:40 PM

35 posts, read 35,214 times
Quote:
Thought I would correct your post as you've illustrated that you don't know the particulars about this case, yet have made up your mind regardless. Miles was walking when 3 men jumped him. He ran, they chased him down (still not identifying who they were), and they beat him to the point where sticks on the ground pierced his face. The officers have literally no evidence supporting their claims that he was involved in any illegal behavior, and thus nothing to justify their behavior.
Apparently you must not know much about this whole case either. You are WAY off on this whole paragraph. He was in a dark, bad area when the 3 officers in the unmarked unit saw him. Before they even got out of the car, they called for him and he turned his back to them so they got out. They identified themselves as Police Officers AND had their badges, which are around their neck, out when he took off running.

Quote:
Something else you probably don't know because you didn't bother to look into it: Jordan is not a criminal. He doesn't have an arrest record. He wasn't involved with any illegal behaviors. He was an honor student and a classical musician. Not exactly the profile of someone who 'had it coming'.
Just because somebody doesnt have a record at the time doesnt mean theyre automatically "angels" Here is an example. John Holmes, who was the colorado batman shooter, was in school going for a PhD when he did what he did and had no record. So just because Miles didnt have a record, doesnt mean he was a perfect kid. It means he either is a good kid or just hasnt been caught yet.

Quote:
I have absolutely no respect for the Pittsburgh police after this incident as it is just another example of bad cops being protected by supposedly good officers.
Then dont call them if you need help anymore, call a crackhead

Old 08-09-2012, 03:28 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,215,691 times
It's hard to second guess a jury that considers all of the information. They had disagreements among themselves regarding a couple counts. No one knows what their reasoning was for those disagreements. I suppose it would be a surprise to be confronted by by undercover officers late at night, but it would also be a surprise if they didn't identify themselves; of course, he may not have believed them and found it convenient to say he didn't know they were police. Without being there I don't want to assume too much, whether about what he was doing or what the police did. Unfortunate.

It's nice that police are patrolling a high crime area on foot at night. Residents should be glad they are out patrolling, so this is a little ironic. However, I'm not so supportive of the need to be undercover while doing basic patrol work, because undercover police don't seem like they're a deterrent at all. It's too secretive. Does anybody know what the purpose is of having undercover police walk through the streets at night? Were they trying to catch a specific person who was reportedly in the area and they didn't want to tip him off?

I don't pretend to know I know a lot about criminal justice and the ideal way to patrol, so I'm not really trying to bait anyone or anythign like that, just my general feelings about it.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:01 PM

275 posts, read 626,137 times
Common sense helps in avoiding most problems. Not saying he should not have, but what was he doing outside on a freezing cold night, at 11pm walking from his mother's house to his grandmother's house?

Old 08-09-2012, 09:57 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,579,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Operative phrase is "REPORTED BEHAVIOR".

I'm still certain no one on this forum was there when this incident occurred.
The 3 officers were there and his "reported" behavior per those officers who beat him mercilessly STILL doesn't give them cause to do so.

I honestly have to wonder how many people actually researched this case and then posted their opinions on here vs "Hmm...black kid...white police officers...homewood...yup he had it coming"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh