Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 03:30 PM

510 posts, read 901,082 times

Advertisements

I have ben a member for almost four years and I swim there regularly. I go at all different times and the pool is often full, meaning you have to share a lane. There has only been once or twice that I couldn't get a lane at all.
It is a very nice gym. I have to say I do not see many college-aged people there but maybe they aren't on my radar screen as I am almost 40 (I also don't take many classes anymore, I just swim and use the workout equipment). There is a wide range of ages that go there, and I like that there are a lot of older people--I find it encouraging that men and women are still so active in their 70's and 80's. One woman who walks on the treadmill almost every day told me she is 87, and she looks about 65.
They are strict about enforcing rules, like you cannot talk on your cell phone in the gym. Thsi is a big plus as far as I am concerned.
It is a great and affordable gym if you just want to work out, but if you are looking to expand your social group through the JCC I am not sure how successful you will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 04:50 PM

59 posts, read 112,646 times
My family and I belong to the JCC (mid-late 30s, with two small kids). We are not Jewish and were surprised/happy to find out that the clientele is very diverse in terms of age, religion, and even race/ethnicity. My husband and I both use the gym there and it seems like the crowd is much older in the mornings and very young in the late afternoons and evenings. As others have said, the equipment and facilites are very nice and well-maintained. We used to belong to Urban Active and I prefer the JCC - the noise from that darn spinning room at Urban Active was unbelievable and many of the machines were not fully functional there. And while there are definitely more young professionals at Urban Active, they are definitely present at the JCC too. And for families, it's a great bargain for all that you get.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:27 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,828,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
The JCC is a great place and if I was living close to it, I would probably join.
Maybe your Chabad will open one.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,656 times
Are the general yoga classes offered at the JCC free of additional charge?

Old 08-11-2012, 06:32 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,662,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnallen4312 View Post
Are the general yoga classes offered at the JCC free of additional charge?
The website says classes are free for Centerfit Platinum members.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:03 PM

9,316 posts, read 12,911,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Maybe your Chabad will open one.
I have the sad feeling I'm the only one who will appreciate this.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:42 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,662,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I have the sad feeling I'm the only one who will appreciate this.
I thought it was rude. Like we have to be Jewish to enjoy the JCC. Oh, well. Whatever.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:00 PM

9,316 posts, read 12,911,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I thought it was rude. Like we have to be Jewish to enjoy the JCC. Oh, well. Whatever.
I know Jay; it was a delightfully snarky comment referring to Curt's past showings of a lack of Jewish awareness, not a snipe at the Goyim. Jay isn't even Jewish, though he is quite the Semitophile.

And JCCs tend to be mixed across the country. At the one I went to growing up in the Western Philadelphia suburbs, there was a pretty even Jew-Gentile split and everybody got along just swimmingly.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:07 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,961,761 times
I've been out of Pittsburgh for a few years. When I was in my teens I belonged to the YM&WHA in Oakland. It was a wonderful and enjoyable facility. I used to swim there and play handball. Is it still open? It might be an alternative to the JCC for college students.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:34 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,828,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Hopes, Alex has explained my post beautifully:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I know Jay; it was a delightfully snarky comment referring to Curt's past showings of a lack of Jewish awareness, not a snipe at the Goyim. Jay isn't even Jewish, though he is quite the Semitophile.
"Semitophile." Again, such a way with words, Alex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh