Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 02:20 PM

14 posts, read 31,559 times

Advertisements

Looking for a good catering company for our wedding reception. We haven't settled on a venue for sure yet either so any suggestions there would be nice too.

We would like a venue with both indoor and outdoor areas that allows outside caterers. Would also love to have the ceremony in the same place as the reception.

Any other secrets or tips for planning would be appreciated too.

Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 02:27 PM

674 posts, read 1,412,754 times
Many venues either do their own catering or require you to pick from a certain list of caterers. I would suggest that you secure your venue first.
How many people? Budget? Gotta give us more info to work with.
Also- what area of town?

Old 08-09-2012, 02:35 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghgirl17 View Post
Many venues either do their own catering or require you to pick from a certain list of caterers. I would suggest that you secure your venue first.
Agreed!

Old 08-10-2012, 07:27 AM

Well, let's start with a venue then. As I said, we are looking for a site with both indoor and outdoor areas. Would like that they allow outside caterers but if not then have options of reasonably priced caterers(around $50 a person including alchohol.) The area is not important. Just a within a reasonable distance of Pittsburgh(75 miles or less). We don't want a site that charges some outrageous price just for the venue with nothing else included. So, say a place charges $2000 just for the venue and then you have to get a caterer and everything else on top of that is not a viable option. I know there has to be a lot of options out there for a nice site for $500 or less and we can bring our own decorations and caterer in. So, let's hear some ideas!!

Old 08-10-2012, 07:41 AM

674 posts, read 1,412,754 times
Again- how many people? What is your style- older historic, or newer modern? Country/urban? You have given some pretty wide parameters and a very wide area. There are probably hundreds of places that could work. I would also suggest that you visit a more wedding-centric website such as theknot.com - they have a local board for Pittsburgh where you could get ideas. They also publish a magazine a couple times a year - including a local version that covers Pennsylvania that would also provide you with ideas.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:51 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times
Another way would be to call a couple of caterers and ask them their favorite outdoor venue, etc. Might be worth a phone call or two.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:13 AM

up to 150 people. one style or another is not a huge deal to us. We can decorate or adapt to most any setting. I've given a wide area because we are not attached to any one part of the city or surrounding area. We are open to any area.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:41 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,478 times
I was at a very cool wedding at the Heinz History Center which had a big indoor space and a cool balcony outside as well. I know literally nothing of the details on cost or whether an outside caterer was used, all I know is it was a very cool place to go to a wedding.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:20 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,478 times
Looks like the venue there is $2950, plus an extra grand for having the ceremony there. They have an exclusive agreement with Common Plea which is probably on the pricey end. Wedding I was at was in the Mueller Center (there are different rooms to rent at Heinz).

On another note, one of my friends is having his reception at the Duquesne Power center, using the church on campus for the ceremony. They do allow your own caterer as well as buying your own alcohol/providing licensed bartenders. You may want to look into that as well. I don't know whether you need to have ties to the school or not.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:32 AM

Thanks for the suggestion Stanwix. I'll check on that one though we are sure we don't want to have our ceremony in a church. There may be other options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh