Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 03:34 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvan View Post
Well being that the population in the city is consistly increasing, the proximity of this area to frick park, the busway, 376, downtown, monroeville, lower income taxes, bigger houses for less who haven't been broken up and turned into multi family units like other areas in the east end region. And my favorite the increase in people caring less about what can their neighborhood do for them but what they can do for their neighborhood.

Also, I'm sure you don't self medicate yourself to sleep at night but doze off thinking about all the people you have helped and have saved from bad investments while never attempting to put others down to make yourself feel less insignificant.
Van, you are being a typical homeowner. Lots of money spent, big tax bill and you have to justify that. I can't blame you. Maybe you will get that buyer from Cali. It happens. If you aren't selling, don't worry about it and just pay those taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 04:12 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,573,520 times
Odd that one should begin a thread with the "revelation" that owning a house in a particular place should be very expensive, and finish it by stoutly insisting that anyone who might feel they made a good bargain is wrong.

Is it perhaps an obscure sort of jealousy that motivates the desire to prove that anyone living in Wilkinsburg is a fool? Maybe it's regret, or suspicion, or the suspicion of regret, from the staid and sour perspective of a sullen suburban middle age, that life might somehow have mislaid an opportunity?

But perhaps not - perhaps it's simply the fearless impulse to seek the truth and bring wisdom to bear against the bristling front of folly. Eh?

Old 08-14-2012, 05:52 PM

If it makes you feel better everyone is in the same boat. We all throw so much money out the window on property tax per value, we aren't going to make anything on these homes. Just enjoy where you live and pay the price. It is what it is. Wilkinsburg has a super high percentage. So do a lot of places. Really EVERY place in our region is super high per actual value. Not good for real estate, but it will never change in our lifetime, unless the economy gets even worse and people just run out of money, or most likely out of credit. This thread isn't Wilkinsburg specific. As I said, the title wasn't the best, but if changed it might be a bit odd, considering how much of it is about Wilkinsburg. Would be nice to shift it away from Wilkinsburg and look at other areas that have really high millage rates.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:07 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,085 times
Brian, I'm hoping if you can all keep him occupied maybe we can go a whole week without him starting any new threads on how Wilkinsburg is going to h*** in a handbasket along with Pgh proper and should all move to Aspinwall and let them rot. The monotony of which is only broken by threads about how people USED to be friendly but now they're so selfish and how did they get so negative and gloomy. I know you can do this if you'll just band together as one in the midst of adversity and LET'S GO BUCS.

Wait, what was I talking about?

Old 08-29-2012, 03:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
So out of curiosity, I looked up every sale in the Regent Square part of Wilkinsburg I could find for $200K or over in the last 24 months (using Zillow), and the current assessment (using the Allegheny County website). Here is what I got (sale price/current assessment):

207/98
286/158
240/108
210/116
385/188
259/109
220/85
358/122
263/114
265/118
389/126
205/65
271/65
224/79
I bought my house Dec. 1, 2008 with an assessed value of 93K, 14 months later I got a notice from the School district of Wilkinsburg that they reassessed my house to 170k and that I need to pay the new rate from the date that I purchased my home. My taxes more than doubled and with the new millage rate my school taxes increased another 300.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I was talking to a coworker that lives in Regent Square,sort of (Wilkinsburg) and he mentioned his taxes being $10K a year. I said, what?? He said, yeah the millage is so high if you have a fixed up home in the Regent Squareish area, you will be paying that. I looked up the millage and it is:

Borough 14 mils
School District rate is 35 mils
County rate 4.69 mils

Total of 53.69? That can't be correct, right? I mean if you have a $100K home it is over $5K a year in tax? I have a feeling I did something wrong. Could someone let me know the real tax rate? There is no way people with a $200K home on the boarder of Regent Square are paying over $10K. That would be the highest real estate taxes possibly in the entire US, but I have a feeling I read this wrong. Please tell me that is wrong.
You are not wrong...

Old 08-29-2012, 04:24 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Quote:
I bought my house Dec. 1, 2008 with an assessed value of 93K, 14 months later I got a notice from the School district of Wilkinsburg that they reassessed my house to 170k and that I need to pay the new rate from the date that I purchased my home.
Did you pay $170K for the house?

Old 08-29-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris156 View Post
I bought my house Dec. 1, 2008 with an assessed value of 93K, 14 months later I got a notice from the School district of Wilkinsburg that they reassessed my house to 170k and that I need to pay the new rate from the date that I purchased my home. My taxes more than doubled and with the new millage rate my school taxes increased another 300.

Firstly, thank you for telling us the real situation. We need more people to come forward and less smoke and mirrors. I had no idea Wilkinsburg takes residents to court. That is something everyone needs to know. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh