Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 07:30 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times

Advertisements

One funny thing, after they create this slogan the media will still just say, "North Side", when there is another shooting, which seems to happen very often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 07:49 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
One funny thing, after they create this slogan the media will still just say, "North Side", when there is another shooting, which seems to happen very often.
That's kinda the point. You would not want the media to use the re-branded name for spewing 30 minutes of negativity each day. That would entirely defeat the purpose.

The re-branding is an attempt to separate the negative (and often misguided) reputation of "North Side" from those areas which generally do not share the same troubles that contribute to that negative reputation. So I'm guessing that if the plan works as it's intended, when the media reports "another shooting tonight on the City's North Side" current and potential residents of Allegheny City Central - or whatever they choose to call it - will recognize that the shooting was in the North Side, not in their neighborhood.

I have mixed emotions on the re-branding, but that's how it's intended to work.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:58 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
That's kinda the point. You would not want the media to use the re-branded name for spewing 30 minutes of negativity each day. That would entirely defeat the purpose.

The re-branding is an attempt to separate the negative (and often misguided) reputation of "North Side" from those areas which generally do not share the same troubles that contribute to that negative reputation. So I'm guessing that if the plan works as it's intended, when the media reports "another shooting tonight on the City's North Side" current and potential residents of Allegheny City Central - or whatever they choose to call it - will recognize that the shooting was in the North Side, not in their neighborhood.

I have mixed emotions on the re-branding, but that's how it's intended to work.
What if the day after the slogan, there is a shooting there? You have to admit, that would be kind of funny.

That place is sure acting like a suburb. They want to separate themselves. Good stuff.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
What if the day after the slogan, there is a shooting there? You have to admit, that would be kind of funny.
Yeah, that'd be hilarious? What's wrong with you?

Old 09-11-2012, 08:27 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
Yeah, that'd be hilarious? What's wrong with you?
Changed my post and can be read two posts from here.

Last edited by gg; 09-11-2012 at 08:50 AM..

Old 09-11-2012, 08:34 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,835 times
Quote:
What is wrong with me? What about a section of the North Side that wants to disengage itself from the other... less desirable sections? I mean Allegheny West is what, about 85% white, for example? Come on.

There is going to be shootings around there. Always have been. I am not for this separation. If I was in Manchester or a neighboring North Side section, I would take offense.
Stop, stop, stop....that's not what's happening here and I won't allow you to hijack this thread with your idiocy.

The effort is merely changing the "marketing" name of a neighborhood that IS ALREADY A SEPARATE NEIGHBORHOOD according to everyone, including the City.

Your views on your perceived benefits of racial segregation are well known to this board but have little relevance to this thread.

The truth is, shooting are pretty rare these day in the "Central Northside" but for some, the name carries too great a stigma to overcome. It's largely development-based and to get ahead of market dynamics that will brand the neighborhood for us.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:49 AM
gg

Thought Allegheny West was part of this. Edit

Last edited by gg; 09-11-2012 at 09:24 AM..

Old 09-11-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Are you going to sit there and tell me people in Manchester for example aren't thinking why? Seriously? Can you tell me the reason you feel the Central North Side wants to change its name?
As much as you want to make it as such, this is not a discussion about demographics, and I'm not having that conversation with you.

The basis for the re-branding is discussed throughout this thread as well as in other sources, all freely available on the internet. Here's an article from the North Side Chronicle:

Central Northside proposes remarketing the neighborhood

In addition to the points I raised above, this particular re-branding has the added goal of providing opposition to tacky or inappropriate names assigned by developers and real estate agents. "Upper North Shore" comes to mind. As they say, the best defense is a good offense.

And re-branding is not at all a new concept. There has been extensive re-branding in New York City, for example (Neighborhood rebranding in New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Sometimes it works, sometimes it fails, but what's important is that the re-branding is absolutely NOT what you're making it to be, for whatever bizarre agenda you may have.

Last edited by ML North; 09-11-2012 at 09:34 AM..

Old 09-11-2012, 09:02 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,835 times
Quote:
Maybe I should have just posted the demographics of the "Central North Side" and the neighboring areas? That way, I am only posting demographics? Would you prefer I do that? I guess my question is, why is part of the North Side wanting to relabel itself?
Feel free to post the demographics of the Central Northside. You've clearly demonstrated your ignorance of this particular issue by posting demographic breakdowns of two surrounding neighborhoods that will be unaffected by any change. Let me say that again....neither Manchester or Allegheny West is in the Central Northside, but thanks for highlighting the confusion that exists with use of the greater "Northside" label.

As to the motivations, I will re-link them (knowing full well that you never click through):

Central Northside proposes remarketing the neighborhood

http://www.cnnc-pgh.org/wp-content/u...ev1-copy-2.pdf

Old 09-11-2012, 09:28 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
.neither Manchester or Allegheny West is in the Central Northside,
I obviously knew Manchester wasn't part of it. I didn't know Allegheny West, which is the nicest part of the North Side wasn't involved. Seems they are staying true to the North Side, which is nice.

I think the rebranding is dumb. There are already a bunch of parts of the North Side. Also there are two ways of spelling that place. It has been referred to as the Northside and the North Side throughout its history. I always found that funny. Even in VERY old pictures you will see both spellings.

Anyway, good luck with all that. Not sure what the point really is? Just has the feel of shunning the other parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh