Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 12:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

I will add, I think at one time, the generous benefits and pensions were to compensate for the lower salaries. In general, that's not the case any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 02:40 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I am not arguing against good wages, benefits and pensions. However, when these become a huge burden, and this is mainly pensions, maybe it's time to look at reform. Most of us in the private sector will not even get a pension.
About 30% of state and local government workers across 15 states aren't eligible for Social Security. They are in Pennsylvania, but they are not in your current home state of Colorado. Thus in many cases the retirement benefits aren't as lavish as they seem.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:45 PM

781 posts, read 1,618,733 times
People pay for their own pensions and do not recieve social security. (unless consultants double dip) This is such an idiotic argument. God forbid someone that is not "wealthy" isn't living in poverty after 65.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
About 30% of state and local government workers across 15 states aren't eligible for Social Security. They are in Pennsylvania, but they are not in your current home state of Colorado. Thus in many cases the retirement benefits aren't as lavish as they seem.
In Colorado public employees get PERA. In addition, many have also paid into SS for 10 years, so they can get that, too.

Colorado PERA - Public Employees' Retirement Association of Colorado

Old 08-18-2012, 05:50 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Are you figuring on a 12 month basis or 9 mo? Just curious.
salary.com has the median salary for a Staff Nurse-RN in Pittsburgh at $64,579. The same website has the median for a school nurse at $42,984. Obviously the school nurse is working the school year, which is usually 180 days a year in PA plus in-service days, if nurses have to work them.

Based on some quick calculations, it looks like the RN would be making about $33.36/hour and the school nurse around $31.84 depending on the length of the school day and how many days they actually work. I assumed a 7.5 hour day for the school nurse. I'm sure most school nurses don't take a real lunch since kids are arriving throughout the day.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
In Colorado public employees get PERA. In addition, many have also paid into SS for 10 years, so they can get that, too.

Colorado PERA - Public Employees' Retirement Association of Colorado
People who have had less than 20 years of paying into Social Security, but were public employees for most of their work lives, fall under SS "Windfall Protection" meaning they get their benefits reduced by around 50%.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
salary.com has the median salary for a Staff Nurse-RN in Pittsburgh at $64,579. The same website has the median for a school nurse at $42,984. Obviously the school nurse is working the school year, which is usually 180 days a year in PA plus in-service days, if nurses have to work them.

Based on some quick calculations, it looks like the RN would be making about $33.36/hour and the school nurse around $31.84 depending on the length of the school day and how many days they actually work. I assumed a 7.5 hour day for the school nurse. I'm sure most school nurses don't take a real lunch since kids are arriving throughout the day.
Keep in mind that private-sector nurses (particularly in hospital settings) typically have massive overtime, meaning their compensation is often 50% or more greater than their salary.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Keep in mind that private-sector nurses (particularly in hospital settings) typically have massive overtime, meaning their compensation is often 50% or more greater than their salary.
Where do you get that? Most nurses are discouraged from putting in overtime, let alone "massive" OT. When your shift is over, you are supposed to leave. There is no nursing shortage in most of the country any more, so there's little covering of shifts.

@ villageidiot1: The school nurse is entitled to a lunch like any other employee. There are generally designated "first responders" such as office personnel who can care for the kids in the nurse's absence. In addition, in most places, the actual health provider is a paraprofessional, the RNs work as consultants.

Quote:
People who have had less than 20 years of paying into Social Security, but were public employees for most of their work lives, fall under SS "Windfall Protection" meaning they get their benefits reduced by around 50%.
OK, but they still get their public employee pension. Teachers in my area tend to retire young, e.g. 55 or so.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:21 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
God forbid that secretarial and custodial jobs have good wages, benefits, and pensions. Since outsourcing has worked so well in the private sector, might as well implement it in the public sector. Those companies that provide the services won't charge governments a whole lot less but you can be damn sure they won't be providing their employees decent wages, etc. They'll be pocketing the profits. Ok. I'll get off my soapbox now that I've vented.
what profits? it's the public sector. in reality, it would be better if they'd just negotiate a more responsible contract with employees rather than simply outsourcing. public employees shouldn't be entitled to pensions, both them and their employers have shown themselves incapable of managing them. for whatever reason, it seems easier to outsource than negotiate reasonable settlements.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Where do you get that? Most nurses are discouraged from putting in overtime, let alone "massive" OT. When your shift is over, you are supposed to leave. There is no nursing shortage in most of the country any more, so there's little covering of shifts.
I'm sorry, Katiana, but you're out of touch with what's happening with nursing in the Pittsburgh area. My neighbor was just complaining to me yesterday about her overtime at a UPMC hospital located in the city limits. She is supposed to work 3-12 hour days, but she is scheduled for 5-12 hour days per week this month. 24 hours of overtime per week definitely qualifies as massive.

Quote:
@ villageidiot1: The school nurse is entitled to a lunch like any other employee. There are generally designated "first responders" such as office personnel who can care for the kids in the nurse's absence. In addition, in most places, the actual health provider is a paraprofessional, the RNs work as consultants.
Not in Pennsylvania. There is always a nurse in each public school. They are RNs who have BSN and additional certification as school nurse that is required by the state. The ONLY schools I have seen that have office professionals taking care of students was the private Catholic schools. State law does not allow delegation of nursing duties to nonlicensed individuals. Public schools are required to provide nurisng administration and consultation to private schools. Paraprofessionals are prohibited from engaging in nursing duties.

I know they are not paid well as the private sector. One of my children's friends was a school nurse at our school district. She was working a second job in retail at the mall. I don't know any private sector nurses who need a second job. I know a lot of nurses too. Since Pittsburgh is a low cost of living area, nursing definitely buys an upper middle class lifestyle in Pittsburgh for the two income families and a solid middle class lifestyle for the one income families.

Quote:
OK, but they still get their public employee pension. Teachers in my area tend to retire young, e.g. 55 or so.
I think he makes a valid point that some school districts can't eliminate teacher pensions because they don't qualify for full social security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh