Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 12:12 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Okay, so here's how the trip went (along with some inside thoughts)
Glad to hear that you had a good trip. I spent the weekend in Cleveland and also had a really good time.

On the subject of Primanti's, I agree that the cheese steak is a definitely not their finest work. I typically choose the Rajin' Cajun or capicola and egg. A solidly mediocre sandwich to be sure, but occasionally I get that itch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 12:26 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Their deli sandwiches aren't horrible (nor very good, IMO). I just wish they weren't marketed as a unique Pittsburgh treat.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:04 PM

540 posts, read 867,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
(they never tell you what No. 1 is)
They tell you if you ask. It's beer.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:22 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
I used to really hate on Primanti's but some of the less ordered stuff on their menu like the Ragin' Cajun chicken breast actually aren't half bad. Of course the last time I had it was when I was half tanked at midnight leaving a concert at Altar Bar....so maybe I was eating it with rose colored glasses on lol.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:29 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
I had one the other day, at of all places the site in Grove City. It was fresh and pretty good, and I was sober. I guess only eating about 2/year helps. Suffice to say, it was around 7PM on a Tuesday and the place was packed.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:08 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
While Primanti's isn't great... IMO the "cheesesteak" is the worst item on the menu... it's some slab of tasteless mystery meat that came out of a freezer somewhere. At least a pastrami sandwich is tolerable. It seems like every visitor gets suckered into the "cheesesteak" since Primanti's advertises it as the "2nd most popular item" (they never tell you what No. 1 is)... and most people are probably envisioning something similar to a Philly cheesesteak. Btw, Min-Chi-Cbus-Cle, you should be familiar with the Primanti's concept living in Cleveland... as regional Cleveland chain Panini's serves the same sandwiches.

As for density... I do believe that Pittsburgh is a "denser built environment" than cities like Minneapolis, for example... but the overall density number is affected by significant areas in city limits that are virtually empty and lushly forested due to extreme topography.

As for African-American population... Cleveland (53%) and Cuyahoga County (30%) are about "twice as black" as Pittsburgh (26%) and Allegheny County (14%). Pittsburgh has a much smaller black population than most cities in the Northeast / Great Lakes regions... which is partially a legacy of its uniquely Appalachian location.

Come back soon!
I'm not from Cleveland though, and have only been here a year. Besides, like I said, I usually NEVER have extravagant sandwiches (meaning lots of toppings) because I'm a "meat and potatoes" kind of guy. I did that to "live as the Romans do"!

Right. That's the only reason I can see the densities working out the way they actually do. I mean Minneapolis has lakes and rivers that take up wide swaths of space, as well as industrial yards, but I'd think it's the hills and possibly -- what, 5 decades -- of urban decay and depopulation that may also be contributing factors. It's interesting, nonetheless.

Is the black/non-white population of Pittsburgh evenly distributed or segregated? For example, if you somehow drove through the northside of Minneapolis on a day trip you might get the impression that the city is very black or Asian, even though it's more like Pittsburgh in regards to % population that is black/non-white (I believe the city is about 20% black and county is about 12% black).

Old 08-20-2012, 02:10 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I used to really hate on Primanti's but some of the less ordered stuff on their menu like the Ragin' Cajun chicken breast actually aren't half bad. Of course the last time I had it was when I was half tanked at midnight leaving a concert at Altar Bar....so maybe I was eating it with rose colored glasses on lol.
I ALMOST ordered that but thought "what the hell, let's eat what the locals say is good", and got the #2 best-seller cheesesteak instead. Somebody said it perfectly: "tasteless mystery meat that probably came from some freezer".....the fries were good at least!

Old 08-20-2012, 04:23 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
I ALMOST ordered that but thought "what the hell, let's eat what the locals say is good", and got the #2 best-seller cheesesteak instead. Somebody said it perfectly: "tasteless mystery meat that probably came from some freezer".....the fries were good at least!
Try the roast beef sandwich next time. It always hits the spot for me.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:39 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times
Quote:
I'm not from Cleveland though, and have only been here a year. Besides, like I said, I usually NEVER have extravagant sandwiches (meaning lots of toppings) because I'm a "meat and potatoes" kind of guy. I did that to "live as the Romans do"!

Right. That's the only reason I can see the densities working out the way they actually do. I mean Minneapolis has lakes and rivers that take up wide swaths of space, as well as industrial yards, but I'd think it's the hills and possibly -- what, 5 decades -- of urban decay and depopulation that may also be contributing factors. It's interesting, nonetheless.

Is the black/non-white population of Pittsburgh evenly distributed or segregated? For example, if you somehow drove through the northside of Minneapolis on a day trip you might get the impression that the city is very black or Asian, even though it's more like Pittsburgh in regards to % population that is black/non-white (I believe the city is about 20% black and county is about 12% black).

Does Minny have large numbers of apartment buildings? Pittsburgh has apartment buildings, but they tend to be relatively low slung. Pittsburgh's layout tends to mimic the cities to the east of us, meaning streets tend to be narrow, and houses very closely built, with substantial numbers of rowhouses, something most Midwestern cities lack.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:41 PM

369 posts, read 462,596 times
On the topic of day trips to Pittsburgh, here's a nice review from a Canadian media outlet:

Underrated, U.S.A.: Pittsburgh, once industrial, now chic | Travel | Life | National Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh