Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 08:49 AM

144 posts, read 224,527 times

Advertisements

I am aware that about two years ago that a few of the people on the Pittsburgh sub-forum of City-Data met. This was before I started reading, and way before posting, on the forum. So I would like to know if there is any interest among anyone out there for meeting in real life again? I learn a lot on here and it would be great to actually talk to some of the people here. I'm not set on any particular place; I'm gauging interest right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 08:51 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
I would chip in $5 towards a fund to see BrianTH and h_curtis hug. Perhaps we could each chip in $5 and donate those proceeds to a local charity?

Old 08-19-2012, 08:54 AM

All kidding aside meet-and-greets aren't usually all that successful with online message boards because many people prefer the relative anonymity of assigning a pseudonym, posting whatever they want, and never having anyone even knowing what they look like. In the case of this sub-forum I'd probably freak out a few members with how much I truly do know about them just by following their contributions on here for a couple of years on a near-daily basis, but then again I pose no real threat to anyone.

If we DID do a meet-and-greet it should be in a public place, and we should invite Yac!

Old 08-19-2012, 09:05 AM

144 posts, read 224,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
All kidding aside meet-and-greets aren't usually all that successful with online message boards because many people prefer the relative anonymity of assigning a pseudonym, posting whatever they want, and never having anyone even knowing what they look like. In the case of this sub-forum I'd probably freak out a few members with how much I truly do know about them just by following their contributions on here for a couple of years on a near-daily basis, but then again I pose no real threat to anyone.

If we DID do a meet-and-greet it should be in a public place, and we should invite Yac!
On the surface, anonymity is fine; I understand the concern of being followed around. But keep this in mind: if they want to call themselves by their user name if I'm around them, go ahead! But even if I know someone's first name, that's nowhere near being able to obtain someone's address, credit card, SS number, favorite color, favorite Spice Girl, etc. It's not as if I see someone's face and I associate it with their username that I have all the info I need to call a hit on someone or deny them a promotion.

Totally agree with you on the public setting though. That would be suspicious if I held it at somewhere like my house. Off the top of my head Savoy (never been there, lol) or Eclipse seem like cool tenative ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I would chip in $5 towards a fund to see BrianTH and h_curtis hug. Perhaps we could each chip in $5 and donate those proceeds to a local charity?
I would chip in $10 for that! There are too many people like that in this, and other, sub-forums who sometimes need to turn their sword into a plow...if you know what I mean.

If I didn't emphasize this before, it's open invitation!

Old 08-19-2012, 09:08 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
We could make little name tags with our screen names on them!

Old 08-19-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
^ This.

We should do it at Biddle's Escape, especially since it was the subject of a recent thread!

Old 08-19-2012, 09:34 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,974 times
It would be great to meet all of you. I'm hoping to visit in Sept or Oct. I too would pay to see BrianTH and h curtis hug.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:47 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
Maybe we could meet at Chick Fil A? Just kidding.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:01 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,610 times
Quote:
It'd probably be wiser to make name tags with the real names on them and keep the usernames secret. Then it'd be harder to associate the stupid posts with the live person...

Old 08-19-2012, 10:40 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Why don't we have it at a fake Mexican restaurant in Soulless Cranberry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh