Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 04:33 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times

Advertisements

I thought western Pennsylvania was the only place in the world that takes football too seriously, but I guess I was wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 04:37 PM

508 posts, read 889,620 times
Oh no, this is more football country than Oklahoma or Texas. Do the Cowboys have as many Lombardis? I think not. Remember, oil was first discovered out here before it was ever discovered in Texas. But Texans seem to get all the credit for both oil and football. Yee-haw!

Old 08-21-2012, 05:47 PM

783 posts, read 2,022,370 times
I remember a story a few years back when the Steelers were playing the Broncos in the playoffs and a kid wore a John Elway jersey to school. For some bizarre reason, the teacher made him sit in a circle while everyone else in class mocked him and threw paper balls at him. Sad. I'm a huge Stillers fan, but that behavior is ugly.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:55 PM

Lord Of The Flies

Old 08-21-2012, 06:16 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
I have only been to Oklahoma once, and that was just two days in Tulsa. I don't know about football, but they do argue over which Denny's is best.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:17 PM

Hey I actually like "Denny's!" hehehe

Old 08-21-2012, 06:30 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTwila View Post
Hey I actually like "Denny's!" hehehe
It's not about enjoying a Grand Slam the morning after a few too many beers. This is fixation on Denny's.

I was sitting at the hotel bar trying to enjoy a playoff game, yet for most of the game the people around me were more interested in debating the staff hygiene, coffee temperature, bathrooms and seating comfort of the four Denny's that were within a three block walking distance of my hotel. All because one of them insisted I not get room service breakfast but go to Denny's instead.

It was positively David Lynch.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:42 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Obviously people here are fond of the Steelers, but I don't think we are actually as crazy about football including everything from HS through college to the pros as some parts of the South.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:08 AM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,112 times
All of America loves football. To see so much Steelermania in a city like Pittsburgh that has so much more to offer is disappointing, yet, at the same time understandable given the history and success of the franchise. The hoopla would be no diffferent in any other city larger or smaller that virtually has it's own wing in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio like the Steelers have. The love affair makes sense because it gave the city something to hang it's hat on when things were not so stellar economically here in the 1970s. The Steelers brought great pride to this area and continue to do so by fielding a franchise that is consistently competitive if not downright successful season after season. So, for one, the pride makes sense. Secondly, to anyone who has been paying attention, Pittsburgh has been getting accolades for being more than the home of the Steelers and an old steel town. It does not have to be one or another. We can be a progressive city that loves it's football and all of it's sports teams and still be a leader in eds and meds. It does not have to be cut and dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh